Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Visit YaBB today Wink
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Fatigue - Is there anything to help? (Read 8053 times)
nelson1600
Tutor

Jack of All Trades & a
Master of None :)
Melissa, TX
Fatigue - Is there anything to help?
05/26/11 at 07:53:31

Currently I take Xyxal, Zyrtec, and Zantac (the generic); Xyxal is only once a day before bedtime and the Zyrtec and Zantac I take twice a day. (I was on Singulair also but my DR commented that it was basically serving the same function as the Xyxal and because of that he recommended eliminating the more expensive prescription)

I can not seem to remember if I have asked this before; but are there any supplements or something that anyone is aware of that can be taken to help combat fatigue?  I have good days and bad days; but boy are my bad days bad and even as a person who can take more freedom in dictating a schedule the fatigue still impacts my ability to conduct business and impacts my "Family" time.

Anyway, if I've asked or it's been asked before and I just don't remember or did not read enough; I apologize; but today is one of those days where I have had meeting after meeting and I am fighting to stay "conscious".

I look forward to ANY suggestions to this post.

Doctor's are glorified auto mechanics of the human body; make sure you find one that you trust...

IP Logged

Susan
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Fatigue - Is there anything to help?
Reply #1 - 05/26/11 at 08:32:11

Hi!

I don't know if they are safe to take with masto, but there are two drugs that are used in a lot of patients whose illness causes fatigue. They are called Provigil, and the newer one is Nuvigil. I think I remember they are actually antihistamines for the brain, so they may work well. I'll see if I can find something on them.

Susan

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/ Chronic neurological infections
Diagnosed with Mastocytosis August 2011

IP Logged

Susan
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 05/26/11 at 08:39:18

Well, I remembered wrong. Provigil (modafinil) is actually a pro-histamine drug, so could be problematic. You can read some about it on Wikipedia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modafinil

Susan

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/ Chronic neurological infections
Diagnosed with Mastocytosis August 2011

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #3 - 05/26/11 at 09:24:02

Sorry Lucas, but that doctor gave you some wrong information. The Xyxal is a completely different med and works differently than Singulair.

Xyxal is an antihistamine--it blocks histamines, that how it works. I think it is an H2 blocker.

SINGULAIR works differently to relieve symptoms by blocking leukotreines, which can be elevated quite a bit in some masto patients. Many people here are on Singulair and say that they have added energy from it (take it in the morning). Some people here take 20 mg to 30 mg a day because of the benefits they feel on it. Im on 10 mg a day but I want to increase it Smiley

Just wanted to let you know,
Hugs
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

nelson1600
Tutor

Jack of All Trades & a
Melissa, TX
Reply #4 - 05/26/11 at 09:26:38

Thank you for the information Susan; I really appreciate it. My conversations about the fatigue with my allergist have not netted any results.

He is very new to the treatment of SM (I am his 1st and only patient) and while he is open I can tell at times he either does not believe me or does not fully comprehend exactly how certain things impact me and although it can be frustrating, I understand why; he is learning as we go just like me.  Unfortunately there are not many allergists in my area that have any more knowledge than he and because he is open to discussion I do not want to blindly change physicians.

I am supposed to be scheduling an appointment to go in for a bi-annual checkup and blood work; I will discuss this with him.  I am hoping that I can find something that will not be problematic and that will hopefully not have to be taken daily; but on an as needed basis.

From what I read; and I will have to re-read it later to make sure; if it were not something that created other issues; this sounds like it might be something that would help.

I really appreciate the information and hope that things continue to look up for you in your search for answers.

~Lucas

P.S.; about a 45 minute nap helped but the when it kicks in; the grogginess lingers on all day.

Doctor's are glorified auto mechanics of the human body; make sure you find one that you trust...

IP Logged

nelson1600
Tutor

Jack of All Trades & a
Melissa, TX
Reply #5 - 05/26/11 at 09:33:57

Ramona, I am sorry I guess you posted as I was responding and I did not notice.

That makes sense; one of my weaknesses is that I am not much when it comes to understanding how medicines work but I am trying to learn.  I was on the Singulair twice a day for about 6 months and the fatigue was still there.  The fatigue is one symptom that I have struggled with finding some kind of a solution for.

Now I have been off Singulair for about two months and I admit that the fatigue is coming on a little more frequently; so I think the best thing to do is to fight it until I get back in to see my allergist next month and discuss Singulair with him in more detail; I think I feel more comfortable trying that first.

Thank you for the info; it really is a help -- in fact I think I still technically have refills on the Singulair available through my CVS; I may call in a refill and try a slight increase in dosage (I was on 10mg twice a day before).  Do you think there would be any issue with upping it to 30mg or should I consult with my allergist first?

Thank you again; it's great to have options Smiley

~Lucas

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #6 - 05/26/11 at 11:37:13

I take 30mg/day of Singulair.  It hasn't been a problem for me, although apparently it gives some people depression and suicidal thoughts (yikes).  If you felt fine on 20mg then I'm guessing 30mg should be no problem.  My hematologist said that doses as high as 60mg are used to treat severe asthma, even in kids.

I wouldn't increase the dose on your own... ask your doctor.  That way if it helps you can get the higher dose next month too.  Singulair is pretty expensive!  It's not like antihistamines.

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #7 - 05/26/11 at 12:55:13

Hi Lucas
I would do what Heather suggested.. with one more suggestion... just take 20 mg a day, as the doctor ordered--but instead of 10 mg twice a day, try 20 mg in the morning (only). You expect to be tired at night, you need the energy in the morning. See if that helps.
hugs
Ramona

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #8 - 05/28/11 at 08:13:56

Hi Lucas!

I'm sorry to hear you are going through so many issues with fatigue.  It's awful isn't it?!  I was one who has improved greatly with Singulair!!  It was amazing to feel some energy once again and it helped to reduce greatly my anaphylaxis.  I go through episodes of tremendous exhaustion at times and we're trying to figure out what these are now.  They seem to be episodes of constant hypotension or borderline hypotension but I also get bradycardic on top of it and so we're waiting for a cardiovascular investigation to deal with this.  So many things to weed out in the meantime!!  

But it is awful to take a nap or to sleep all night long and wake up as exhuasted as you did when you laid down!!  Oh, how much loneliness for the days of  refreshing sleep!!!   Undecided

I hope things are well with you, however, in the meantime.  Keep pushing with those doctors, Lucas.  You never know when you are going to find that key doctor and where he'll be so don't give up hope, my friend!!  

Hugs!

Lisa

Don´t forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Keri
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #9 - 06/01/11 at 21:14:02

Hi I am new to this site and read your discussion on fatigue. I have been suffering since 2006 but did not have a full blown reaction until 2008. Fatigue was my biggest set back as the other symptoms improved. I had Ross River fever in 1999 which symptoms include severe fatgue and tiredeness. I fell pregnant later that year and was worried about medications that would hurt bub. I friend who is a naturpath put me on to sprilulina it is all natural and derives from a fresh water plant. it includes chlorophyll, carotenoids, vitamins and minerals etc and is high in proteins and essential amino acids. It is free from colors and preservativies and comes in low allery formula.
He told me it is completely harmless for me and baby and I can take as many as needed.

I worked then and helped me to keep working as well. I decided to take it again last year when I kept falling asleep. I have found that it does help and does not effect the mast cell. I also tried a general tissue salt spray tonic that goes under the tongue it is a homeoepathic medicine that can be bought over the counter. it states it is for fatigue and exhaustion. I take it when i am driving and  Just if i cannot rest.
As like everything just because it says its safe it does not mean Mast suffers will not have a reaction so try a small amount to start with and see how you go. If you can tolerate the spirulina it is a fantasitc supplement and can help when you are not eating the best. It too should be able to be purchased over the counter and even in can be found in chemists and large chain food stores.

Just in interest I also came across another tissue salt called fobrositis..it helps give releif for muscular pain and inflammation and fibrositis. I found it also useful for minor pain especially in my face. It requires that you again place the tablet under the tongue and allow it to be absorbed rather than chewed.

Try and drink plenty of water as well. A thing to remember also is that sometimes you just have to sleep. When I struggle against  it to much I find I suffer more. I just have to accept that somedays are out and store my energy for important things like spending time with the children and planning a day out shopping. If I dont stop and rest I find I cannot enjoy any days .
So plan your week as best as possible and if you have a special occassion or a big job you would like to accomplish try giving into the sleep, relax and dont fret you will all those yucke jobs wont go away they wait for you.

Hope you dont mind my input
kind regards
kerri

IP Logged

nelson1600
Tutor

Jack of All Trades & a
Melissa, TX
Reply #10 - 06/02/11 at 02:50:22

Thank you all...  Lisa and Keri I am sorry it took me so long to log back in and respond to your input.

That is what makes having a place like this to come so special and it is great to see so many people have found it.

I had a conversation about this topic last Friday with my doctor's nurse over the phone and she spoke to the doctor about all of the information I had received at that point.

As for the nuvigil / provogil; she stated (called me back yesterday after speaking with my doctor) that he would not be the one to prescribe such a medicine and I reiterated my concerns about them anyway and how I hoped that switching back to the singulair with an increased "single" dosage might do the trick.  After speaking with her I think we are all more comfortable with the Singulair.

Does anyone know about Xyzal?  I think this could be part of the "problem"..  As an example; two nights ago I forgot my medicine before going to bed (I very rarely do this; my wife and I both have reminders on our phones and I keep my medicine in the kitchen where none of the kids can reach it; but it is in plain sight).  Yesterday I woke up like I "used" to; at 6:00am what I used to call my natural alarm clock kicked in; I was up, ready to go, and I had energy "ALL" day long...

However last night I took my medicine at night like I am supposed to and I had trouble waking up this morning...  8:00am rolled around and I struggled and fought myself out of bed and I've been up for about 40 minutes now (1 cup of coffee) and I still want to go back to sleep Smiley -- except I can't because I have things to do and a 3 year old who wants my attention...

I am a creature of habit and I go to bed every night at 10:00; set the sleep timer on the t.v. and turn on the news...  I finally decided to read some information about the Xyzal I am taking and I found the following information.

Xyzal Info: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0000405/

Anyway, everyone has been great on this topic.  I am going back in on 6/17 to see the doctor and do blood work.  After speaking with his nurse we have decided for the time being to not make any changes until I have had an opportunity to sit down with the doctor face to face with my "LIST" of problems and questions and go from there.

After reading more about the xyzal I don't think it's my "WHOLE" problem with the fatigue but after the accidental experiment over the last two days I definitely think it's part of the problem.

~Lucas

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #11 - 06/02/11 at 08:06:09

Hey Lucas!
I would give you one suggestion here for the xyzal. If it is causing you that much problem, I would be concerned too--but you have to ask yourself, do you need the xyzal to prevent reactions? If you do, then try taking it a bit earlier in the evening so you wont feel so tired in the morning. If that doesnt help, then try a few days off of it so you can see a true difference and tell your DR about it at your next appt.
Hugs
Ramona

IP Logged

nelson1600
Tutor

Jack of All Trades & a
Melissa, TX
Reply #12 - 06/02/11 at 08:13:06

Ramona you are so awesome; yes, I actually take it as early as 6:00pm with my second regiment of zyrtec and zantac; I just couldn't help but notice such a major difference in energy the morning after I forgot to take my meds.

I know before I went on it I still fought with fatigue but the more I think about it; it has been worse practically as long as the doctor took me off of singulair altogether.

I'm not going to quit taking the Xyzal because we are in our season of "HEAT", increased insects (mosquitos mainly), and pollen counts (which seem to have a major impact on my reactions); but this is definitely going to be a "MAJOR" area of conversation for the doctor and I on 6/17 Smiley

I think you helped give me the proper insight when you mentioned the singulair; I'm hoping the doc can find a different H2 Blocker that will not cause the level of drowsiness and keep me on the singulair.

Thank you so much for the response -- BTW; "How Are You" Smiley

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #13 - 06/03/11 at 03:53:34

Hey Nelson,

Your doctor's wrong about Xyxal being the same as singulair!  Singulair is a leukotreine blocker not an antihistamine and it's made an incredible improvement in my quantity of anaphylaxis as well as given me back a LOT of energy!  I've found if I do without it, I have more anaphylaxis again!!  And my energy level drops NOTICIBLY!!!

Put the singulair back into your regimine, Nelson.  

As to the xyxal, I'll bet that's your culpret for sleepiness.  Some of are really sensitive to these meds that cross over the blood/brain barrier and most of those antihistamines are of 12 hour duration!  This is why it's creating problems for you.   And again, where is that MC stabilizer in your meds?!  

Talk with your doctor ask him to adjust your meds taking xyxal out and putting perhaps Allegra in or boosting your Zyrtec instead.  Let the Zytec replace the Xyxal if need be.   Then, ask your doctor to put you on Cetotifeno.  You are badly needing this and being that it's an MC stabilizer it will serve the two needs you have, that of stabilizing those MCs of yours and that of an extra antihistamine.   It's an H1 blocker which crosses the blood/brain barrier, so it will make you drowsy, but in taking it only at night, it won't look you out and it will give you that extra action of dealing with the MCs in the brain.  And others are finding how to get this medication and it's not horrendously expensive.   It's cheaper than gastrochrom and does the same thing being that they are both MC stabilizers.

I hope your consult goes well!!  Let us know how your doctor works with this situation.

Lisa

Don´t forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Mike
Tutor

Danbury, CT
Danbury, CT
Reply #14 - 06/03/11 at 08:36:03

Just my 2 cents.  I have administered xyzal to patients in my various clinical rotations.  It is a 3rd generation H1 antagonist generically known as levoCETIRIZINE. Very little crosses the blood/brain barrier really. The literature I read before administering said there has not been reports of drowsiness any worse than Zyrtec, which makes sense. While I haven't personally tried it, it is a H1 antagonist with high efficacy.  Perhaps we should keep this one in our arsenal.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print