Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  YaBB is sponsored by XIMinc!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
prostaglandin F2 test, 5HIAA, and urine histamine tests (Read 3247 times)
jenwic
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
southern Ohio
prostaglandin F2 test, 5HIAA, and urine histamine tests
05/18/11 at 09:20:46

I had some tests done about a month ago and I called the dr. today to get the results.  So what I have now are some results that are just confusing to me because I don't know what they mean.  I thought I would consult with you "experts" before I go see the dr. next Friday  Wink  My prostaglandin F2 was low- 123 (the nurse said normal is 250-400).  She said they did not perform the 5HIAA because the ph was less than the allowable range  Huh  My  urine catecholamines were normal, but my urine epinephrine was "undefined".  The 24 hour urine histamine was normal.  And they don't have the results back on my tryptase yet (hopefully tomorrow).  Can you all help interpret all this?     Thank you!!

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Re: prostaglandin F2 test, 5HIAA, and urine histamine tests
Reply #1 - 05/18/11 at 17:22:28

Hope someone will jump in and add to the little I know, as I'm a bit limited in testing knowledge.  Obviously, anything normal is great!  

Prostaglandin F2 is a marker for inflammation.  If it were elevated, you might need anti-inflammatory meds, but I don't know what it means if it's below normal.

If mast cell disease is suspected, it's important to rule out several other problems that can cause similar symptoms, such as carcinoid syndrome and pheochromocytoma.  5HIAA and Chromagranin A tests are run to rule out carcinoid syndrome.  Did they tell you any foods or drinks or meds that you weren't supposed to have before this test?  They might give you some guidelines to keep the pH up and try to re-do it.  

Urine catecholamines were checked to rule out "pheo."  Are you sure epinephrine wasn't "metanephrine"?  Metanephrines are also checked for "pheo."

Not sure what "undefined" epi means.

The tryptase will indicate anaphylaxis and possibly a mast cell disorder.  You can still have a mast cell activation disorder with a normal tryptase, just not SM.

Good luck!  Let us know what you find out.

Joan

IP Logged

jenwic
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
southern Ohio
Re: prostaglandin F2 test, 5HIAA, and urine histamine tests
Reply #2 - 05/19/11 at 01:41:16

Thank you, Joan. This mast cell stuff is so complicated.  At least God knows what is going on.  I'm trusting Him to sort it all out  Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print