Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I think they are about to deny me again... they are sending me to a psychologist...? (Read 5455 times)
kenna
Rookie

Tread Lightly. Breathe
Consciously.
Gulf Shores, Alabama
I think they are about to deny me again... they are sending me to a psychologist...?
05/12/11 at 09:40:56

Hey guys,

I'm in the SSI disability applications process... again and I could use some assistance from you all. Please, guys? Undecided

I was diagnosed with UP when I was 18 (recently updated to TMEP). I spent the next few years at UCLA trying experimental treatments, which was no fun; Embarrassed lots of damage, bone loss, etc. So by the time I lost my medical coverage & my job, I had already given up on doctors anyway. I learned to keep myself as comfortable as possible, Tongue but that was a far cry from functional.

Now I'm trying to get SSI/Disability but I don't have any recent medical history (ten+ years) to support my case, except for emergency room visits. So they had me see this doctor, but the five-minute exam was a joke. Now they're sending me to a psychologist, but I'm not sure why. I'm afraid it's just to cover all their bases before they turn me down. If anyone has any suggestions as to what I should do, or wants to share their experiences with this process, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

kennadevere  
IP Logged

Susan
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: I think they are about to deny me again... they are sending me to a psychologist...?
Reply #1 - 05/12/11 at 10:12:24

Depending on what the psychologist finds, they may use it to turn you down. When I was applying for SSDI, they had me see a psychiatrist. I took someone with me to help document what was done. He saw me for ten minutes, asked a few questions, then wrote a report stating a few months of antidepressants would get me back to work.

Fortunately, I also saw ( on my own dime) a psychiatrist who specialized in chronic disease that affects mental functioning. She did a six hour work up, fully documented, which stated I had organic brain disease ( I have chronic neurological infections) that significantly affects my ability to function. She even found problems I was not aware of. Her report countered the tame state psychiatrist, and got me my disability.

Federal disability requires you to see physicians on a regular basis to prove you continue to be disabled. The best thing you can do is to see a doctor who can document your illness AND your disabilities. They don't go by your symptoms, they want to know what you can and cannot do. If you have a doctor or two who will support your claim, you have a better chance.

There are lawyers and other advocates who help people with their applications. It looks like you might be in southern California. Try http://www.ilcsc.org/. They may be able to point you in the right direction, or may have someone on staff that can help.

Best of luck to you!

Susan

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/ Chronic neurological infections
Diagnosed with Mastocytosis August 2011

IP Logged

Susan
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: I think they are about to deny me again... they are sending me to a psychologist...?
Reply #2 - 05/12/11 at 10:14:04

Oh, sorry! I was going by you having been see at UCLA. If your ID is correct, you aren't in CA. Try looking for Independent Living Centers. I think it is federally funded.

Susan

IP Logged

kenna
Rookie

Tread Lightly. Breathe
Consciously.
Gulf Shores, Alabama
Reply #3 - 05/12/11 at 14:03:38

ThanQ for the info. It totally supports what I had already been reading and that is that they are about to turn me down. Especially if the psych they sent you to said "take two aspirin and and get denied in the morning" when your personal psych declared you had organic brain disease...  CheesyI guess you were supposed to just take off your hat and let them look at your brain, right?   Shocked

kennadevere  
IP Logged

Susan
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 05/12/11 at 19:03:44

Yes, it is always the case, they will try to deny you if they can. It's money, right?? But you have the right to fight back, and prove you need the help. I see Ramona gave you some advise in the other thread. The most important thing is to see a doctor. Like she did , I buried them in paper supporting my claim, years of medical records, my own written reports of what I was and was not able to do (I even explained how hard it was to tie my shoes, and that I couldn't work anywhere that required me to wear something other than tennis shoes.

They don't really care if you can't do something highly paid. They need to hear you would not be able to do ANY job. If they give you disability base on pychiatric reasons, like depression, I would take it.

When you have an invisible disability with few medical records, it is harder to prove.

I wish you the best luck!

Susan

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print