Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Hidden Chemicals (Read 12761 times)
Susan
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Hidden Chemicals
Reply #15 - 05/03/11 at 15:44:34

Heather, I find that one of the symptoms of chemical exposure, for me, is an inability to make decisions. In the chemical sensitivity community, this is a well known symptom caused by certain chemicals.

I have found I need to have a procedure for leaving figured out ahead of time, or I get stuck trying to figure out what to say, how to explain, especially when it is something like a doctor's appointment.

One idea that can work nicely is to have a small card printed up, that explains how you react, and how critical it is to your health to protect yourself. That way you can just hand it to someone, and leave.

Since it is written up ahead of time, people know you aren't using it as an excuse, and you don't have to think while the chemicals are mixing up your thought process.

Just a few minutes is all it takes to impact you.

Susan

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/ Chronic neurological infections
Diagnosed with Mastocytosis August 2011

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #16 - 05/03/11 at 18:08:20

Heather, Im sorry that happened to you! I hate the feeling of being a canary while other people seem so unaffected. I cant get over the feeling that if WE react to things, they might be too--on a slighter unrecognized level. It also makes me a bit more fearful to go into new situations.. I gotta get over that.

I agree with you both. With me, I think the thing was---I have never reacted with throat swelling involved and I had a lot of disbelief at the time--then the fear set in and I wasnt making good decisions. I will next time Smiley
Hugs
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #17 - 05/04/11 at 01:01:27

Susan wrote on 05/03/11 at 15:44:34:
One idea that can work nicely is to have a small card printed up, that explains how you react, and how critical it is to your health to protect yourself. That way you can just hand it to someone, and leave.

Since it is written up ahead of time, people know you aren't using it as an excuse, and you don't have to think while the chemicals are mixing up your thought process.

That's really a good idea Smiley

I'll have to think about what to put on the card... do you have any suggestions?

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Susan
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #18 - 05/04/11 at 07:17:23

I have something that just states I have severe allergies to many common products, including perfume, body care products, cleaning products, building materials, pesticides, etc, that I may have a sudden reaction when exposed and need to leave the premises immediately to protect myself from the possibility of anaphylaxis.

Short and to the point is good. I don't go into more detail about what it really is, because more people understand allergies than something like MCS or mastocytosis. You can add or subtract the things you react to, but general categories are easiest. You could even say "under my doctor's orders, I must remove myself from exposure" or some such, if you think it needs back up. You could add your doctor's phone number. That would make it more official, too. Or a link to the Mastocytosis Society website. Whatever you have room for, or think is important to communicate.

People out in CA have at least heard of MCS, so don't need a lot of explanation, even when they don't believe in it, or think it is psychological.

A lot of places will print little business cards for very little money, and you can easily carry them with you.

If you are waiting for a doctor's appointment, and another patient is wearing something you react to, sometimes the staff can let you into a room to wait for the doctor. If you have the announcement already printed, it doesn't have to seem personal about the person you need to get away from.

I can't tell you how many times I have stood someplace, thinking "It is only a few minutes, then I can leave. " By then, it is too late. People at my work, or people I know personally, know what I need to do. Some will even say "Your face is turning red, you need to leave." But I work in a doctor's office where many of the patients are chemically sensitive. You would think I would never have exposures there, but unfortunately, it still happens.

I even have a sign on my front door telling people who ring the bell, that I may react to their personal care products, such as shampoo, laundry soap, perfume, cigarette smoke, etc. To not ring or knock if they could have any scent on them. Plus, NO SOLICITING.

When someone rings the bell anyway, if it isn't someone I know or expect, I just point to the sign and close the door. They have no idea that their perfume can get into my hair, into my house, and into the furnishings, and I am stuck with it for however long it takes to clear. I don't even feel I have to be polite anymore.

Susan

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/ Chronic neurological infections
Diagnosed with Mastocytosis August 2011

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print