Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Hidden Chemicals (Read 12750 times)
Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Hidden Chemicals
05/01/11 at 10:14:03

I went to my Daughters graduation, 2 days ago. There was little AC, but I was doing pretty well, until after her pinning ceremony. I was sitting outside in the shade,with my Mother and started coughing --and couldnt stop. I also started flushing very quickly. I said, "Somethings wrong, but I dont know what I reacting to." Both of us starting looking for anything obvious but didnt see anything. Then I said, "I smell something weird." My Mother asked if I was smelling the rose. I realized she was holding my daughters white rose from the ceremony. I said, "It doesnt smell like rose,its something else." My Mother put her nose to the rose and said, : It smells like a chemical." She moved it about 10 feet away from me and I stopped coughing and could breath again.

Yesterday, I had another episode reacting to an unknown trigger.
I woke up coughing continously, then I noticed I was having troubling exhaling with the cough, I sounded as if I were barking. I was panicky and grabbed my prednisone and took2, 2 benadryl and my albuterol inhaler. At that exact time my ex-husband called me and he understood I was having a reaction. I lost my voice in about 60 secs.  My ex is an angel, talking to me in soothing tones and making me laugh until the meds kicked in ,my voice came back, and I wasnt coughing anymore. I still dont know what caused rhe 2nd episode, but it was my first where it felt like my throat was involved and I dont like it, LOL.

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Re: Hidden Chemicals
Reply #1 - 05/01/11 at 13:00:59

Holy Cow Mona!!!    Shocked Shocked Shocked

Will you cut it out!!   You keep doing all of this scary stuff and I'm getting just plain fed up with it!!   Angry     WHEN IS THE NIH GOING TO PAY SOME ATTENTION TO YOU AND CALL YOU IN????!!!!!

Gosh if you were MY KID, I'd have said, GET DOWN HERE TO BRAZIL RIGHT NOW YOU'RE GOING TO MY DOCTOR and I'd have settled this fun you keep going through LONG AGO!!!  

Gosh, my friend, you get me flushed just reading about your adventures!!   You should have epi-d that one Ramona!!   You've got to be a LOT more attentive to this kind of reacting cause this is one of the crazy things about masto, we can present with various symptoms at times and they can take on a different character.   I was so surprised one day when I had some banana cake with just a half of a wallnut on it.  I began sneezing my head off like crazy and suddenly got so overwhelmingly weak that I thought what in the world is going on here!!   Then it hit me, I was in anaphylaxis and the snow ball was rolling!!   I hit my antihistamines really quick and caught it in time, but it was so weird and I'd never had a reaction like that before.  I've had it happen only once since then!!

So, don't get complacent and think that the reaction is always going to go the same route as always.  It can change on you.  

Be prepared!!!!  And keep safe!!! Kiss

Don´t forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #2 - 05/01/11 at 20:48:54

Hi Ramona,

It's always so scary when you don't know what the trigger is!  The only connection I can think of is a pesticide.  The rose could have been sprayed.  Does your county spray for mosquitos?  If they do, it's often at night.  If you call, they'll tell you.  In my county, they publish in the newspaper where and when they're spraying.

Also, once you've reacted strongly to something, it can take a week or so for your body to settle back down.  I agree with Lisa.  Epi first for throat closing.  Did the albuterol help right away?  The reason I'm wondering is that it will work for asthma, but I don't think it'll help for anaphylaxis.  Has anyone else used albuterol for a mast cell episode?  

Hope you don't have any more repeats!!   Congrats on your daughter's graduation!!  You must be very proud!! Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

Joan

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #3 - 05/02/11 at 03:30:36

I guess youre right but I wish you werent LOL. Ive gotten pretty secure with my reactions, how they occur and what to do to stop them. Now I feel ive been thrown a curve ball for sure.

The last few days, my internet is down 80% of the time and my laptop is acting up. so I cant always tell you what I want to or answer posts...arggg

I did talk to HJ at NIH last week.It seems the podunk area I live in (hospitals) havent sent all my medical records and its making me look like Im not sick to them (in the Masto program).  They view the list of shock reactions and theyre throwing me over to Dr Carter with the IA study.

Its probably a blessing in disguise but I was a bit upset. I have to sign and pass out new medical releases to all doctors and hospitals AGAIN.  I also need to drop my skin biopsy tissues off at another lab and have the surgeon call in another order to process it using the CORRECT stain (they used alcian blue last time).

I talked to Dr Carters assistant and she is going to bring my case up to her this next week. I told her I have involvement in my GI Tract, Bladder, Heart, Brain, Lymph nodes and they even found mast cell clusters in my left eye. She asked me why the Masto study program wouldnt be more correct for me and I told her, that they said it was the amount of shock episodes I have that led them to refer me. HJ even said they didnt think I have masto, LOL.. I had to laugh. I asked her, "Even with a 48 tryptase?" She said no... so, I am feeling like Alice in Wonderland here Smiley

I did call Dr Lottenberg and made a new appt, I will tell him to go ahead with the BMB here. I cant wait on NIH for what I need. This week I will find out the results of the 24 hour urine for methyl histamines and prostanglandin that they did when I was in the hospital. I also had some more genetic testing,  but they send the labs out to big city labs and werent in by the time I was discharged.

My abnormal labs were ;

TSH  .29 low
ALB low  3.12
A/G Ratio low .8
AST/SGOT LOW 10
ALT/SGPT LOW 27
TSH LOW .29
GFR 79

(No results on these yet)
PROT ELF  N/A
IGG N/A
IGG SUBCLASSES N/A
IGM  N/A
IGA   N/A
IGE  N/A

URINE CULTURE GREATER THAN 10,000 KLEBSIELLA
MIC IS BREAK POINT VALUES-ORGANISM

CBC;
WBC HIGH 14.5
HGB HIGH 15.6
PLT HIGH 422
NEUT HIGH 87.1   NEUT # HIGH 12.7
LYMPH LOW 8.4
BASO # LOW 0.0

DIFF;
SEGS HIGH 84
LYMPH LOW 10.

OK now you have as much of the story as I do until I see Dr Lottenberg Smiley
Love ya Both, BUNCHES,
Ramona

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #4 - 05/02/11 at 03:57:37

I think youre right, there was a preservative sprayed on the roses, there were 150 new nurses pinned and the ceremony was very long.. so I think the florist did it to make them not wilt quickly--but made me react. Hey how was your Hawaii vacation?? I wanna hear ever detail!!!
love u
Ramona

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #5 - 05/02/11 at 06:05:18

Ah, Ramona, I just realized why your 48 tryptase is NOT a big deal to them!!    It was taken in a crisis event!!!   Taking your tryptase during a crisis is NOT an indicator nor diagnostic of masto, it's diagnostic of ANAPHYLAXIS!!   If your tryptase were that elevated at BASELINE, when you are not reacting, THEN, it would be something that raised their eyebrows!  

How can I say this?  Well, remember I was going to be doing a bone marrow study with Dr. Escribano for the MMAS diagnosis?  Well, we've cancelled it due to my baseline tryptase.   I was able to have it run recently and it came back only slightly elevated.  It went from 4.0 to 4.2 in 3 years.  My tryptase has never been taken during a crisis and I was not reacting when these measurements were taken.  So, based upon this fact, Dr. Escribano has said that it makes absolutely no sense to do a bone marrow study for the number of mast cells present are just so rediculously low that the chances of finding any aberrant ones are against us.  My case is going to remain open as exactly what form of masto I have.  Again, we know the neoplasm is there due to the fact that it's casting a shadow and we are basing this understanding due to the shadow which it has cast.  However, since my masto doesn't seem to be going anywhere and nothing really warrents the need to do another bone marrow biopsy, I'm going to have to be content and wait a few years and draw another baseline and see if it has risen any.  

So, Ramona, you need to have Dr. Lottenburg do a drawing of your bone marrow as a baseline in order to know where those tryptase levels are in comparison to your proven anaphylaxis tryptase. Based upon your baseline is what may open the door to that masto study, otherwise, you will have to be content with the IA study for that is the only one you qualify for unless those skin biopsies can show something different.

I know you're disappointed, Ramona - I share your disppointment for I was wanting to also resolve my own case and be able to close the book.  I had hope that we might perhaps be able gain more understanding on my reactions by pinpointing the diagnosis, but for now I must be satisfied and so must my doctors.  

But you, sweety, are another case.  You've yet to be fully investigated for this and for an entire year you've gone no where in getting answers and I've been watching your struggles just to get someone to even consider your case and it's left me as frustrated and anguished over this as it has you!!!  So, I FULLY AGREE with you just going ahead and getting this resolved with Dr. Lottenburg cause this is WRONG the fact that you've not been able to get ANYWHERE with your case!!!   Time to take it out of the NIH hands and get ANSWERS and if they want to catch up with you Mona, then fine, but otherwise, don't be wasting any more time waiting about!!!

Love ya!!!  And remember, be vigilant!!  anything can catch you!

ps -  CONGRATULATIONS TO YOUR DAUGHTER!!!    When is she doing med school now?!
Wink

IP Logged

Susan
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 05/02/11 at 06:41:57

Hi Ramona

So sorry you had such a reaction at such a bad time!!

Being a world class reactor to all kinds of chemicals, I can tell you that flowers from a florist are very likely to be contaminated with all kinds of things. Roses are very persnickety plants to grow, and are almost always sprayed with many types of pesticides, as bugs think they are candy. They will also have many types of chemical fertilizers, because they are heavy feeders. All of that is bad enough, but the florist actually soaks them in preservatives, not just sprays them, to make the shelf life until they are sold last longer. It is often a sulfite based preservative.

All florists flowers are risky, but roses are particularly so. I haven't been able to have any flowers in my house for many years, unless someone I know has grown them organically.

Wishing you some respite from all the problems.

Susan

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/ Chronic neurological infections
Diagnosed with Mastocytosis August 2011

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #7 - 05/02/11 at 07:04:22

Thank you so much Susan, you ae an angel Smiley

Lisa, we are connected mentally LOL.. I just got off the phone to NIH (they called me) and they are not interested in me for the IA study LOL.. 13 anaphylacrtic events in one year and a half and I guess that isnt enough. They are also not interested in me for the masto study LOL.. Its in my bladder , GI Tract, Lymph nodes, bones, heart , left eye, and brain but that isnt enough LOL...

I told her at this point she doesnt have half of my records --I live in a small town and have alot to go through to drive to the other 2 towns, hospitals , doctors for new medical releases for it all over again--especially when NIH isnt interested in me--its a waste of time. I told her Im having the BMB done here by Dr Lottenberg and she was nice about it but basically said, be a pro-active patient, stay motivated and be my own advocate for my care. I thanked her for her time--and that is that. No NIH.

Soooo I will see Dr Lottenberg on May 16th and set the date for the BMB at that time. I will have the results of all the genetic testing and the 24 hour urine too then, and ALL my tryptase levels.. so he can proceed from there. I trust him and from now on, he will be my masto expert and hero LOL.

Its got to be a blessing in disguise right?
Love you Lisa,
me

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #8 - 05/02/11 at 07:40:57

I just got another call from NIH.. from Dr Carters office. She told me they arent saying no, they need more information, but IF my tests prove I have masto, they dont accept those people for the IA study.  (The WHO criteria diagnosis that is). We agreed I will have the BMB done here by Dr Lottenberg and contact them with the results. In the meantime, I will go to each hospital and doctor again and get copies of all my records for my OWN peace  of mind--and I will have it to mail it in bulk ---if they want those records at that time. This is getting funnier by the moment lol.
Hugs
Ramona

IP Logged

Sandi
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #9 - 05/02/11 at 09:23:31

Hi Ramona! I'm late to the party! Yeah there are usually life extender preservatives added to flowers like that! Also, its so groovy and in to wear off to an outdoor event. Then theres the chemicals put on lawns, sprayed around before an event to keep the bugs down etc. A lot of times I begin to crash and have no idea why, I just know to get out of the situation. Also a trigger for me is sunscreen, I can't wear it at all, but it's being mega fragranced also, I'm guessing like here lots of peeps were loaded down with it! Never question the unknown irritant just get the heck out of the situation!  I'm glad the NIH is at least in touch right now! Amazing the IA study is not interested just like Multiple Chemical Sensitivity I wonder how many IA diagnosed individuals really have a mast cell disorder, well duh it is a mast cell disorder...... I hate in the box thinking! However, something is bound to come of these test results! Dr Lottenburg sounds like a good mediator/manager!

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #10 - 05/02/11 at 10:10:27

Well, then, there's your answer Mona!!   So, put your running shoes on and GET MOVING!!!!!   Give a call to Lottenberg's office NOW and give them the green light and set up for a BMB ASAP!!!   You've lost precious time with the NIH!!!

It's a shame, cause now their treatment of you is PUBLIC and it makes them look BAAAAD!!!    I know that they have their protocols and their interest, but it already goes against patients to want to be a part of research and turn into "A PROJECT"  and Metcalfe already has this kind of reputation as it is.  Dr. Castells veered me away from the NIH for this very purpose cause she knew that they would not give me the help I was needing.  They are required to remain within their protocols, but once you fit in, then what's the beef?  But there seems to be more going on here and this puts a black stain upon them!!!   So, I'm really sorry to hear this news!

But, Mona, I've seen in my own case how things have changed and developed and I'm not preaching here or trying to shove my beliefs down someone else (gosh how I tire of having to say this - what has our country come to in regards to respecting others religious beliefs - now we have to appologize for them as well!).  I believe in God and I believe that He cares for us and has a part to play in our situations and I have had situations happen with me that just were not possible to explain by chance!  Even my doctors had to say that it was Divine intervention on my behalf for the coincidences were just way too many to be chance.   So, because of this, my friend, I have come to learn that when I keep butting my head up against a blockade it's because it was meant to be there and there was another direction I was to go in!  God closed the door, or blinded and confused the doctor cause He didn't want me going in that direction and period!  TIME AND AGAIN this is how it was even to the point of my surgery where I knew the direction I needed to go in, but due to my doctor and my husband I had to go in another just to please them and when the door slammed I knew that was confirmation as to my being correct and when we went in that other direction the doors opened WIDE!!

Mona, all of this head butting may have been for the very purpose of WAKING UP DR. LOTTENBURG!!!!!  He may indeed be THAT doctor for you but without your having SO MUCH trouble, he may never have caught on!  My masto doctor has gone through the wringer due to me, but my case has forced her to learn more than she has ever learnt before to the point that we are partners in this disease and she trusts my judgement and opinion.  Lottenburg doesn't think you are just an emotional woman anymore and you've also gained other victories you never would have had you gone directly to the NIH.  

So, my friend, rejoice over this situation and be thankful for it clears the way to a new direction leaving you free from doubts and perhaps in a much better situation than had you gotten into the NIH directly!!

So, not a bad or negative situation after all! Smiley  HORRAY FOR MY FRIEND MONA!! NOW SHE'S CLEAR TO MOVE AHEAD!!  YIPPEEEE!!! Smiley

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #11 - 05/02/11 at 10:39:56

Sandi, I have that sensitivity too--to sunscreen, just know that mine is related to the PABA in it--which is in so very many other things--makeup. creams, lotions, bug repellants, etc... even little face wipes from fast food places have PABA in them so beware.

Lisa, you are sooo right! When I wanted to go to NIH at the start of all of this, it was because I had no funding, I needed tests and meds and I was scared. Now I have 100% funding (that seemed to make a difference to NIH)... I have the meds I need and Im having all the relevent teasts done here and Dr Lottenberg is wonderful. My daughter tells me "Mom he is very blunt and wont accept a patient if he doesnt think they dont have that diagnosis."  I do know medical staff at Shands step warily around me as soon as Dr Lottenbergs name is mentioned. He is well respected.

Now, I still did want to go to NIH but the reason was different as time changed. I did want to know if they could tell me something , new research that I didnt know about--but, more than anything, I wanted to go to be part of a cure or treatment for those who will follow us.. I remember that fear of knowing something was wrong but didnt know what or what to do about it.

Now, who has made the biggest difference in my life? Who led me and carefully showed me what I needed, which tests to do and how to care for myself and regain control?? THIS BOARD DID....ALL OF YOU!.. Thats who I thank for my health care, seriously. People with masto or MCAD or any form of mast cell disease are the ones saving the lives of those who follow.  I applaud all of you and thank you from the bottom of my heart. YOU saved my life.
Love
Ramona

IP Logged

Sandi
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #12 - 05/02/11 at 16:51:17

Ramona! Oh yeah I learned about PABA in the 80's!!! Or was it 70's? Sea and Ski suntan lotion! It was the first one I tried! I literally blistered!!! It was awful. The stuff in the new ones non paba bother me, especially the spray kinds, we'll the rub in too, can't pinpoint which chemicals but I've run the gamut of them years past, oxybenzophenes I dunno but it's different, it's a systemic chesty dizzy, stomach pain whereas my PABA was skin, however I don't have it on my skin when I'm reacting to said peeps.... We have a huge amount of retirees here that are obsessed with sunscreen. I just grabbed a grocery cart the other day and peeeeeeewwww smelled it right away, my hands were covered in it. Can you imagine being that coated in the stuff that you slime the cart you are pushing! How'd I get here? What Lisa said was wonderful! Just may have been the chaos to get Dr Lottenburg involved!!! I'm very happy to see that Ex of yours is being so wonderful!! And that your daughter is a full blown nurse!! How cool is that Mom? Smiley

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #13 - 05/03/11 at 04:24:27

Thank you so much Sandi!!

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #14 - 05/03/11 at 15:14:50

Hidden chemicals indeed!

Today I had a minor attack caused by sitting in a newly-renovated waiting room.  Dizziness/headache, palpitations, a few hives... I was able to head it off with a dose of liquid Benadryl.  Thank goodness!  I need to wise up about leaving places that are making me react, but... it's like I'm in slow motion.  I know the snowball is starting to roll, but instead of getting out of the way I'm sitting around thinking about what the trigger could be Lips Sealed

Heather

ps - Ditto on the advice to use an EpiPen when your throat is swelling!

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print