Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  We've upgraded to YaBB 2!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
24 hour urine histamine test- Claritin or not? (Read 6485 times)
jenwic
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
southern Ohio
24 hour urine histamine test- Claritin or not?
04/27/11 at 09:19:10

Dr. Bernstein ordered the 24 hour urine histamine test for me, among other tests.  He told me at our visit that I didn't have to go off Claritin for the tests.  The man at the lab at the hospital told me to go off any antihistamines for 24 hours or more before the urine test.

I emailed Dr. Bernstein's office and asked about the Claritin again.  I also asked if I should avoid high histamine foods.   I got an email back, supposedly from  him, saying to avoid Claritin 3 DAYS before the urine test and avoid high histamine foods.

I read that antihistamines don't get rid of histamines, they just change the way our body reacts to the histaines that are already there.  

I did not take the Claritin today and I feel pretty lousy, but not unbearable.  So I wonder what to do.  Should I start the test tomorrow?

Also, high histamine foods are one of my big triggers.  If I avoid them will my test be accurate?  Should I try to trigger a reaction.  Dr. Bernstein said my histamine levels should be elevated enough even between flares .

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Re: 24 hour urine histamine test- Claritin or not?
Reply #1 - 04/27/11 at 17:05:43

STAY ON YOUR MEDS!! Never let a doctor who isnt an expert in masto tell you to go off your antihistamines for any test. Avoid histamines in food--because you dont want to trigger to them not because of the test.

That test should be accurate while on your meds and while avoiding bad foods--because we are different in  the way histamines are released and the way mast cells react to them. Take the test tomorrow.. and dont worry, just keep the container on ice Smiley
Hugs
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

Susan
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: 24 hour urine histamine test- Claritin or not?
Reply #2 - 04/28/11 at 11:50:01

This one should stay on ice? The lab just told me to keep it in the fridge, but that one of the two tests (histamine and 5HIAA) poured off would then be frozen when it got to the lab. Sounds best to keep as cold as possible? And I don't have to stop/avoid things? Yeah!!!

Susan

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/ Chronic neurological infections
Diagnosed with Mastocytosis August 2011

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print