Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Prayers for a colleague (Read 6379 times)
Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Prayers for a colleague
04/19/11 at 11:49:28

I just got a BIG promotion at work.  Sadly, when one of my colleagues replied to congratulate me, he told me that he's been battling a type of non-Hodgkins lymphoma.  His only symptoms were recurring infections and a low white cell count.  His doctor (primary doctor, I assume) told him it was probably a virus and they should just "wait and see."  At the time he was diagnosed 40% of his bone marrow was neoplastic T cells.  He's responding well to the treatment and seems very hopeful, but... I know enough to realize he's in a bad position.  He's currently having chemotherapy and radiation in preparation for a stem cell transplant.

John is such a NICE guy.  So is his wife.  I hate to think of how much the two of them must be suffering!  I told him a little bit about my own journey down the "rare disease" pathway... he told me I was the first non-medical person to tell him, "I know what T cells are."

Can you join me in saying a little prayer for him?

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Re: Prayers for a colleague
Reply #1 - 04/19/11 at 13:25:09

Hi Heather,

Absolutely will!  So tough for him and his family.   Stem cell transplants are much safer than they used to be, but still so serious.   I hope he can recover from this.

I'm thinking somebody on the forum recently mentioned recurrent infections, but I don't know if there was also a low white count.

CONGRATS ON YOUR BIG PROMOTION!!!!!!!! Smiley Cheesy Smiley Cheesy Smiley Cheesy Smiley Smiley Cheesy Smiley Grin Grin Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Wink Smiley Wink Grin Cheesy Wink Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Cheesy Wink Smiley Wink Grin

Joan

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #2 - 04/19/11 at 13:35:59

Oh yeah... there's some happy news for a change!  I just found out that I've been tenured and promoted to the rank of associate professor.  This means a raise plus HUGE JOB SECURITY
Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

John is one of the people who cheered me on and gave me the advice I needed to earn this promotion... I hope for both of us that he can beat this and stick around for a long, long time.

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

In2butterflyz
Tutor

Reply #3 - 04/19/11 at 14:16:00

Smiley Congratulations on your promotion Heather!!!  Smiley

I will definitely say a prayer for you colleague.  That is a very scary situation he is in, I hope everything turns out alright!

Take Care,
Tracey

IP Logged

Sandi
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 04/19/11 at 19:44:42

Will add him to my prayers Heather, also congrats on the promotion!

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #5 - 04/20/11 at 15:51:52

Heather Dear, please tell John that we patients are praying for him!!  We know how hard the fight is and our prayers and support are with him!!!
Smiley

On another note, I am so very PROUD of you!!  Here you are battling against all odds for the past few years, feeling absolutely MISERABLE and yet you've managed to OVERCOME and DO YOUR JOB and in spite of not being properly medicated and feeling just awful and yet you did your job so very well that you got the promotion and the TENURE!!!!   HORRAY FOR HEATHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!     YOU GO GIRL!!! Smiley

YOU ARE MY HEROINE!!!!    Smiley

Love ya!!!

Lisa

Don´t forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #6 - 04/22/11 at 03:30:46

Congrats Heather!! That is truly a wonderful achievement and I am so happy for you! Smiley Smiley Smiley Cheesy

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #7 - 05/09/11 at 12:41:35

You can add prayers from me too..... if you like him, hes gotta be a great guy Smiley
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print