Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Visit YaBB today Wink
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
SSI/SSD/Medicaid/Medicare... does it move with you? (Read 8735 times)
Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
SSI/SSD/Medicaid/Medicare... does it move with you?
04/05/11 at 15:37:05

I'm asking this question for family reasons, but I thought it might help someone else...

If someone is awarded SSI/SSD/Medicaid/Medicare and they move to another state, do the benefits move with them?  Do you have to apply again (I hope not!) or fill out extra paperwork?  Do the benefits vary from state to state?  (I suspect they do).

Anybody know? Huh

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Re: SSI/SSD/Medicaid/Medicare... does it move with you?
Reply #1 - 04/06/11 at 16:04:25

Hi Heather,

SSI and SSD are both federal programs (through Social Security).  It moves with the disabled person, and all that has to be done is to notify SS of the change of address and bank info so they can direct deposit into the new bank.  Some states provide an additional monthly benefit to supplement SSI, and those amounts would vary state to state.

SSD is based on what a person made while working.  SSI is only for those who don't have enough social security credits to qualify for SSD, and I'm not sure how they calculate it.

Joan

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #2 - 04/11/11 at 08:24:12

They calculate it by the last 10 years you worked. (22 credits). The trick to this is, they will minus the time you became ill, IF you can prove when by medical documents. I didnt qualify for SSD, I got SSI because I had stopped working very often during the last 3 years, When I proved the time period i started becoming more ill, they subtracted that time from the qualifying time period--which took it back to where I was working 40 hours a week--and I qualified for SSD which is almost TWICE the amount you get per month--its worth fighting for.

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #3 - 04/11/11 at 08:26:03

One more point... you never have to have worked one day in your life to qualify for SSI.. just be disabled.. The amount of money per month for that is about 692, right now.

IP Logged

spring
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!
Bay Minette, Alabama
Reply #4 - 06/22/11 at 06:01:11

If you move during your application process, before you are actually approved it messes things up alot. That is what happened to me. We lived in Florida when I applied. Then we moved to Connecticut. I filed for a hearing and then we moved to North Carolina. I just had the hearing and was denied, My attorney filed for an appeal but we have moved to Alabama. None of the moves are because we choose to. They are all because of the economy and my husbands job, and the fact that IF I had my SSD we wouldn't have to move. But we have moved because either he's gotten laid off, medical premiums have increased too much and we haven't been able to afford it with the pay anymore and the like. So here we are again in another state, in a job he loves just making it, finding out that my ins is going up again wondering what's going to happen next. We can't afford both medical care and ins. so we wonder if he needs to find work elsewhere. it is a scary scary world and we hate the instability of it.
My denial at trial level was because "I don't take my medical conditions serious, as I didn't see an opthomologist annually."
Spring

I'm a Zebra!~
Ehlers-Danlos Hypermobile type, probable POTS
Diabetes type 2, Migraines, Fibromyalgia
MEN1 (clinical dx, genetic testing negative)
Allergic to everything
Mast Cell Activation
SMILE! =0)
springeedingee  
IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #5 - 06/22/11 at 07:18:43

It sounds like you need a lawyer at this point. I would suggest contacting Berry and Associates out of Atlanta Georgia. He will come to you. He specializes in disability for masto patients and the word is he has never lost a case. Look up his contact number online or I know its in this category (disability) in another thread.
Good luck!
Ramona

IP Logged

iamnotalone
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 09/19/11 at 06:28:44

Hey all;
Just out've curiosity- and a simple yes or no type answer will do- HAS anyone heard of any1 else being successful in getting disability so far ?
It seems like a long shot, since this is so unheard of a disease...
lori

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #7 - 09/27/11 at 19:28:20

I filed when my work got rid of me for being so sick.. I got approved for SSI in 4 months, then 2 months later I was approved for SSD.. (SSD takes 6 months to approve that was why). Yes, IF you do your paperwork right and do not miss any appts, you can get SSD quickly.
hugs
Ramona

IP Logged

iamnotalone
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #8 - 09/28/11 at 05:29:30

Ramona ;
Thanks for the info. My allergist brought it up at my appt. Heres the thing tho- I Resigned, because I got so sick- n being that I was exposed to SO much at work it was not safe to go back (n now Im having more bad days than good) Would that have a negative affect ?
Hope you are feeling well !  Smiley
lori

IP Logged

Susan
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #9 - 09/28/11 at 09:04:24

I didn't have, or didn't know I had Masto at the time I filed for SSDI. They don't give you disability based on your diagnosis, they give it to you based on what you can and cannot do. And what is documented.

I also stopped work voluntarily. I was simply unable to keep it all going. I was able to prove that I was unable to do my previous work, or ANY work, and got my SSDI in 5 months, with no need for appeals or a lawyer.

DOCUMENT everything. If you can't tie your shoelaces, document that, and why, and what happens when you try. You have to show them you really are unable to work. Having a disease doesn't make you unable to work.

Having reactions to other people's personal products, which cause you severe confusion, possible emotional reactivity, and to make mistakes at work make you unable to work.

Being unable to touch papers because the ink or paper causes you to break out into a severe rash makes you unable to work.

Fainting at the office makes you unable to work.

Things like that. I don't know what your symptoms are, but I am sure you know what keeps you from working. Pull it all together into a cohesive format, and make sure your doctor knows about it. What prevents you from sitting, standing, walking, lifting, writing, talking. That is what they want to know.

Best of luck in your application!

Susan

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/ Chronic neurological infections
Diagnosed with Mastocytosis August 2011

IP Logged

iamnotalone
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #10 - 09/29/11 at 11:57:29

Susan;
Thanks for the advice. A lot of what you mentioned pertains to me.
I always have to go back and retype/respell even on here Embarrassed. Drives me crazy. But Im always grateful for finding this forum !!!
wishing you all feel better too,
lori

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print