Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Hello...I'm Kristi (Read 12380 times)
Kristi
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Hello...I'm Kristi
04/03/11 at 09:50:39

Hello, my name is Kristi. I live in St. Louis, MO where I am desperately trying to get a diagnosis for worsening anaphylactic reactions to more new things every day. A little background on me: I'm 40 and have always had bad allergies to cats, mold, dust mites, pollen and have had a lot of sinus/ear infections due to them. I've had to have ear tubes put in 3 times since 2004 to relieve the infections and I was getting allergy injections up until last fall. Over the last year my allergies seemed to go into overdrive. I was taking allergy meds, sudafed and mucinex constantly. Once when I was being treated for another sinus infection I had a reaction to the antibiotic Bactrim which gave me hives and mouth and throat swelling. After that I started having anaphylactic reactions more and more when I got my allergy injections (mouth/throat/face swelling). Sometimes they could stop them with prednisone/benadryl/pepcid and sometimes they'd have to use epinepherine. But once I left the office I was fine...until one day in November. I was fine when I left, but later that evening it started up again when I ate something. That started a 2 month jag of severe, almost daily reactions to foods, beverages, heat, cold, stress, medications, you name it. I ended up in the ER twice, once by ambulance. My symptoms during these attacks seem to change with each attack. The worst attacks bring on sudden swelling in my mouth, a sharp drop in blood pressure, messed up vision and nearly passing out. Other attacks bring loud ear ringing, burning red eyes, flushed face and ears, warm rashes on my neck/trunk/legs, racing pulse, hands/feet go cold & numb, stomach pain/nausea/heartburn, bone/joint pain, visual disturbances/dizziness, a feeling of tightness in the skin on my neck and face, and increased mucus production. The symptom I seem to get with all attacks is swollen throat, roof of mouth, and inner ears. Oh, and in the last 2 years I have become covered in spots on my face, chest, arms and legs. All of these symptoms have me feeling miserable, scared and frustrated on a daily basis. I pray every day that I can get this under control but I am losing hope.

When all of this started in the fall, my allergist was not helpful at all. He gave me an epi-pen and said stay away from things that make you react. Two more allergists I saw ran bloodwork (tryptase, complement, CBC) My tryptase was 2, 3 and 5. My complement was normal, but my white blood cells were high and my basophils have been high on every test. They said that shows I am having allergic reactions but that I didn't have mastocytosis because my tryptase was normal (the tryptase was never drawn during a reaction). One of the docs tested my immune system and my IgG total and IgG subclass 1 were low, which would explain the frequent infections I get. I was positive to peanut (mildly) on RAST testing although I've never had . Serum IgE was 140, normal.

I sought ought the head of allergy for Washington University in St. Louis, our biggest teaching hospital/university. He did skin testing. I couldn't believe that I made it 4 days without antihistamines, but I ate next to nothing to be safe. I came up positive for all the pollens, dust, mold, cats like normal but also to peanuts, soy, peas and cauliflower. That surprised me, but I am still reacting even when I avoid those things. He also did more RAST testing which I haven't gotten results for yet. I am going back to see him early next week and I'm preparing myself for him to tell me what all of the other docs did....bad allergies, avoid triggers. I am wondering how to ask him to please look further because I am miserable and avoiding triggers isn't enough. Just last night I had another very big reaction to Augmentin. I had the same med last October and did fine, but last night I shocked. It was one of my top 5 reactions in severity. I didn't use the epi pen and go to the ER because it was late and we had no one to watch our kids. I know that is stupid and I wish I had gone and had my tryptase drawn. Instead it took hours and hours of angioedema, high blood pressure, and feeling that someone had poured acid down my throat into my stomach. I took zyrtec, benadryl, pepcid and prayed for it to stop. I seem to be back in a very reactive state since I had surgery to put in another set of ear tubes last week. Before the surgery I asked them to put benadryl in my I.V. and I got that weird feeling of swelling in the roof of my mouth and throat when they administered it but I did fine with the anesthesia.

I keep wondering and hoping there could be some other reason for all of this. I'm going to ask the allergist Tuesday to test me for carcinoid. I'm also wondering about autoimmune condtions. One other big piece of medical history on me that I doubt is important here, but I'll mention it just in case. I have a mutation on a gene that causes hereditary breast and ovarian cancer called BRCA2. Due to the high probability that I could develop these cancers, I had a prophylactic mastectomy and hysterectomy. I take a low level of estrogen replacement in patch form. I wonder if any of this could be related to hormones?

My normal daily meds are claritin and pepcid in the A.M. and zyrtec and pepcid in the P.M. I know that seems like undermedicating, but I have had problems with allegra and zantac. I also have felt strange the last few times I've taken benadryl. I'm terrified of becoming sensitive to that, cause then what do I have to fall back on? After the reaction to augmentin, I'm afraid to try another antibiotic for my sinus infection, yet I know if I'd get rid of it, my reactive state might calm down. My husband wonders if the augmentin only caused a reaction because I seem so highly reactive right now. Taking the antihistamines doesn't seem to be enough to stop the reactions and often doesn't fully stop them once they start.

Thanks to all that have taken the time to read my novel Smiley  Sorry it was so long. I appreciate all of the knowledge you share on this board. It has helped me feel less alone and hopeless.

Kristi

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Re: Hello...I'm Kristi
Reply #1 - 04/03/11 at 10:06:12

Oh my gosh. You certainly sound like a walking mast cell disorder case, and you are not taking strong enough histamine blockers at all! I think that if it were me, I would send my hubbie out to get zantac and I would start taking 300 mg twice day. (I would buy the 150 mg pills, take one 150 mg first and wait 30 minutes. You shouldn't react, but this gives you time to see. After you are fine for 30 minutes, take the other 150 mg.) You are taking zytrec, so that is good. You should also buy allegra (180 mg). They are over the counter now also. Those are the 3 basic histamine blocker meds. I take those. When I react, I have to take an extra allegra or zyrtec to stop symptoms.

I take:
7 am 300 mg zantac
180 mg allegra

4pm 300 mg zantac
10 mg zyrtec

If I react before 4 pm, I take an extra zyrtec. If I react after 4 pm, I take an extra allegra.

The claritin and pepcid you are taking is like baby stuff, and your symptoms are those of anaphylaxis that no one is recognizing.  We have different levels of anaphylaxis, and they eventually lead to passing out and organ failure. You never want to get there, and you don't need to. I have been there before and learned how to prevent it. So, don't worry, you can too!

I just advised another new person to read my intro story, and I would advise you as well. You can find it as the first post in this section. I'm going out now, but will be back to give you more suggestions as well. Tonight, try not to eat after 6:00. Just drink water. We are more reactive at night, so we have to be extra careful then!

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #2 - 04/03/11 at 13:17:28

Kristi, my heart goes out to you. Im so sorry youveb really been through it! Im so glad youre here with us now... You still need testing done but those antihistamines arent going to hurt you to try more.. you ma become a bit fried out but you will get used to it.

I agree with Debbie 100% !!  Please follow her advice, its excellent and Im worried about you. Remember that not all mast cell disorder people will have a raised Tryptase.. but still have them draw it if you have an episode. And remember that mast cell patients have some allergies but more triggers than allergies--which react exactly the same and are treated the same.
Please let us know how youre doing... we DO care and we're here for you!!
Hugs
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #3 - 04/03/11 at 13:18:41

lol fried out---DRIED out
ok  my spelling sucks  Grin

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #4 - 04/03/11 at 15:09:17

Kristi,

I forgot to say that you should NEVER go off histamine blockers to do allergy testing. Any allergist who knows mast cells knows that the histamine blockers won't affect your results. Plus, it really isn't safe for you to do skin testing. We tend to have the blood tests for allergies. This advice about not going off the meds is standard advice from the top mast cell disease doctors (there are only a handful of them). Also, I hope that it is has occurred to you that those allergy shots were probably pushing you deeper into the problems that you were having. I wouldn't advise ever doing allergy shots again if you have mast cell disease. Unfortunately with this rare condition, we have to be our own advocates and realize that most doctors can be WRONG in their advice to us. It boils down to the fact that we can feel confident in th eadvice coming from the few mast cell disease researchers, but we must remain aware and vigilant regarding advice from other docs because no matter how nice they may be, they don't know a fraction about the condition as the researchers do. So, we need to consider the local doc's advice and then decide how to use (or not use) it.

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #5 - 04/03/11 at 16:00:04

I'd like to add a few things to the sage advice already posted.  An allergist who is not an expert in mast cell disorders is not the right doctor to rule out other possible diagnoses with symptoms similar to mast cell disorders.

Your spots, especially if they look like urticaria pigmentosa and if they redden and itch when disturbed, or if they look like TMEP, should be biopsied.  This will help in a diagnosis.  I would call the dermatology department at Wash. U. and ask if they have a doctor who can diagnose cutaneous mastocytosis, UP, or TMEP.  

I react to IV Benadryl but can take it orally.  Some people react to it in any form.  Hydroxyzine (Atarax/Vistaril) might give you relief, and you might be less likely to react to it since you can take Zyrtec, which is a newer form of hydroxyzine.  For any meds, try to find a dye free version to eliminate that as a possible trigger.

Look on this forum for Starflower's chart of testing to rule in or out mast cell disorders, so you can talk with your doctor about this.  Since your allergist knows little about mast cell disorders, you have two choices.  First is to go see a mast cell disorder expert, and there are only a few in the U.S.  Dr. Akin and Dr. Castells at Brigham and Womens in Boston probably see the most mast cell patients, and they can help you get a confirmed diagnosis.  If you don't feel well enough to travel, you can have your doctor contact them to find out how to proceed.  Some allergists are touchy about this, so your internal medicine doctor may be the one to handle this.  You may have to be assertive in asking for the testing you want.

There are some doctors in the hematology department at Washington U. in St. Louis who are familiar with mast cell disorders and may be able to do your testing or may be able to refer you to someone who can.  (They are involved in a drug study for people who have aggressive mastocytosis, which you probably don't have with a normal tryptase.)  They may know or have heard of Dr. Akin and/or Dr. Castells and may be willing to contact them on how to proceed with your case.

Have you gotten on the low histamine diet?  Foods that are high in histamine or that cause direct histamine release can keep your trigger "bucket" full and almost anything then can make it overflow. It can't hurt to eliminate anything that could be a trigger for you.

You might want to ask your doctor about stopping the estrogen as a trial to see if it's making you worse.

Keep us posted as to what you find out!  Everyone here does care!

Joan

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #6 - 04/03/11 at 16:07:24

Hi Kristi!!

I'm sorry for how things have been for you!!   You sound like you're really going through the grinder trying to find answers.  I hope we can help you!

As to your surgery, the mastectomies and hysterectomy, you could have some kind of connection with this, but not quite like you think it might have.

There are some cases that are cited in which women who had masto found great improvement after having hysterectomies.  The removal of their ovaries helped to stabilize their disease for estrogen has been connected to mast cell mediator release.  However, although I've not found an article that claims the opposite, that of the surgery being the cause for the masto.   Mastocytosis can not be caused by a hysterectomy, or more like, the removal of those organs and thus the loss of those hormones isn't the issue here.  Yet, the surgery itself, that of the trauma your body suffers with the surgery be it either the mastectomies or the hysterectomies for the surgical trauma itself could have triggered the dormant mast cell disorder, or the anesthesias used could have done it.   I have spoken with a masto authority, Dr. Cem Akin, and this is the answer he gave to me.

You see, Kristi, it was with my hysterectomy that my masto came out of hiding.  It was dormant and nobody knew, including me, that I had latent disease waiting for something to wake it up.  A hysterectomy is a very stressfull and physically traumatic surgery and it takes a lot out of our bodies.  I kept my ovaries, but just the trauma of the surgery itself was enough and my body began to go crazy almost immediately following it!   A direct line was draw between before and after that not even my gyno had doubts.  He knew something was wrong with me and that it was not emotional.  Eventually he was the one who had to go hunting down my symptoms and what they indicated and the suspicion for masto and carcinoid were raised by him.

Kristi, I had to go through a great deal to find my answers, and part of the reason was the hysterectomy due to the fact that many doctors thought I had lost my sanity.  They couldn't believe that a woman could opt for medical reasons to remove her uterus, but I had fibroid tumors and the risk of breast cancer in my family and so I made a medical decision to protect my health.  I'm sure you've had to battle many of these very issues yourself.  It must not have been easy to make the decisions you've made!!!  

But your case seems to be different in that you seems to have had issues prior to your surgery and this is important.  My case has an autoimmune element to it and this has an important role in my masto, but because I have no spots, this forced me to have to go down the route of seeking out the carcinoid syndrome.   You do have some testing which needs to be done, both looking for carcinoid and masto.  

So, I wouldn't ask your allergist to run these exames, I'd be looking for an oncologist who is knowledgeable in carcinoid tumors instead for they are hard to diagnose.   You need to have two major tests run, but there are other cancer markers which need to be run as well.  The 24hr urine 5-HIAA test is for methyl-serotonins.  You also need to test blood serotonin levels and also that of Blood levels for Chromogranin A or CGA.   These are the major markers for Carcinoid.

As to masto, you need to see a dermatologist and have them go over you for any signs of skin involvement.  However, that tryptase level you have is, although in normal ranges, is considered higher than the average person.   There are other things which can elevate tryptase in to the 3, 4 and 5 ranges and smoking is one of them.   I was just speaking with a researcher in mast cells and he told me that my reading of 4ng/mL was elevated above that of the normal person.  A nromal person has a reading of <1ng/mL!  So that shows you how much higher you are than the normal Joe.   But it's not so high that it's diagnostic for SM.   Yet, it is diagnostic for MCAD and that's because they are finding other forms of the disease where the typtase is low.

As to the benedryl, you may want to chose another form of the medication.  You might be reacting to dyes or fillers.  

The trick here is that you're needing someone who is an excellent immunologist to do some serious sorting out with your disease.  You may indeed have a mast cell disorder, but it's too soon to say this and you don't want to convince yourself of anything until things are more apparent, so keep your mind fully open and don't allow your mind to convince yourself of having the disease until you've got more PROOF of it.  

If, you were to think of travelling to see one of the masto researchers, Dr. Lawrence Schwartz would be the man to see.  He's in Richmond Virginia and he's an excellent immunologist.  He would know how to sort through your true allergies and anything which might be a mast cell disorder.

If you want his contact info, just send me a PM and I'll be glad to give it to you!

Lisa

Don´t forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Kristi
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #7 - 04/04/11 at 02:45:39

Thanks for the warm welcome and helpful replies.

Deborah, I know the allergy shots I was getting were probably what started all of this and it makes me sick to my stomach to think that I did this to myself. I just wish the allergist would have noticed the red flags with me having anaphylaxis almost every time I got shots.

I am going to try the zantac and allegra again, even though it scares me. The zantac gave me stomach pains but the allegra made me feel the throat swelling and weird vision disturbances. I'm seriously thinking I need sit iin the parking lot of the ER when I take new things just in case. Sometimes the reactions come on so fast and hard that I worry about the 15 minute drive to ER.

I am all for seeing Dr. Akin or Dr. Castells if they are the experts. I traveled to New Orleans to have my risk-reducing breast surgery because that is where the experts were. I feel like I also need to have a doc here to coordinate my care. Is it appropriate to mention this to the allergist I see on Tuesday for follow up? Does it take long to get into them? Did those of you that went to them get insurance coverage? Out of network? Do I also need to see Dr. Schwartz to get the other testing to rule out other possible disorders?

I'm trying not to convince myself I've got SM until it's proven, but Lisa's comment about my tryptase level has me worried. Since December mine has gone from 2 to 5, which is higher than the average <1 and quite a quick jump. The 5 reading was 3 weeks ago. I think I'll ask the allergist if he'll test it again this week. I'd feel so much better if I saw it going down again. I think this allergist is somewhat knowledgeable about SM and treats some patients with it which is why I sought him out.

I will look for Starflower's post of testing to rule out other disorders. I just need to decide if I want to see a local doc at Wash U. I'll ask the allergist if he knows of the study being done by hematology since it's the same hospital. He might be in the loop.

I'm glad to hear my hysterectomy/hormones aren't likely to blame in all of this. I ran out of estrogen patches in January and had to go cold turkey for several weeks. My mast cell symptoms didn't improve and I had horrible hot flashes. I think I'll keep using those.

Thanks again to each of you. I will let you know what happens after my appt on Tuesday.

IP Logged

Kristi
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #8 - 04/04/11 at 03:02:46

I cannot seem to locate the list of tests by Starflower. Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks!!

Kristi

IP Logged

Josie
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 04/04/11 at 03:35:17

Hi Kristi ,

My tryptase is negative

You have had too many close calls sweets . I was in your situation , having 3 weekly anaphylaxis and more frequently in spring and high stress times . It was ONLY when I got to a specalist that I started to get the treatment I needed . Even now I need reviewing BUT I am now only going to ED every 3-4 months . i was highly at risk , my local ED had a spot for me . I know the thought of systemic masto is scary . Its only scary if you are not treated properly .

Right now , you are an undiagnosed mast cell patient and more importantly UNTREATED . The treatment will not cure this but it can manage this so you are ok Wink

I can see your allergy guy thinks he knows masto / mast cell disease . You need a doc who knows it inside out . Why ? because its a naughty disease that is not the same in everyone sweets .

I have seen so many doctors , its only now I am more controlled . There is still work for me to do , but that is true for many .

It took me having 2 anaphylaxis 3 days apart for me to really take this seriously .

Please see a specalist .

I completely understand you need a local doc . Once you have seen the specalists they will liase with a local doctor for you into the future . You will remain their patient forever . This is how specalist they are . They know they have to follow their patients as no other doctors have their mast cell knowledge .

I understand your fear of not getting to ER . can you ring 911 ?? I ahve anphylaxis affecting my airway quickly and i can't talk to the ambulance control . i have it set up that if I ring and they can't hear me I have a rapid response bike or paramedic . I also have a keysafe outside so they can let themselves in  . they have the code . I also have , for if I am away from home a dictaphone with all my details on which i can play into the phone . I ahve needed it to be safe . i now have an alarm system I press and the controller rings an ambulance Wink

Did U have tablets of allegra and zantac ?? if so , I think  trying efferescant zantac and liquid allegra Wink may help . It has helped me .

What are you eating right now ???

I was petrified for months . Now I know the things I need to do to be safe Wink I understand on a very deep level .

many hugs
Josie

IP Logged

laura
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #10 - 04/04/11 at 05:40:38

Hi Kristi,
For many years, I had several doctors tell me that they didn't know what was wrong with me and even that my symptoms were psychosomatic , or in my head, before finally getting diagnosed with mast cell diosrder.  Thankfully, I live near Boston and my infectious disease doctor brought Dr. greenberger from Brigham and womens hospital into the emergency room to examine me.  The telltale test for me was called Dariers sign, which involved the doctor rubbing his thumb along the top of my back. My back became very inflamed and stayed red for a long time, which is abnormal. Here is the definition: Darier's sign is a change observed after stroking the skin of a person with systemic mastocytosis or urticaria pigmentosa. In general, the skin becomes swollen, itchy and red. This is a result of compression of mast cells, which are hyperactive in these diseases. These mast cells release inflammatory granules which contain histamine. It is the histamine which is responsible for the response seen after rubbing the skin.

I am not a doctor, but I have gone through four very serious hospitalizations before being diagnosed.  Every time I go to see Dr. Greenberger, I see patients that have come from all over the country.  I recommend that you try to find a doctor nearest to you that has experience with mast cell disease, because many of them have no idea and dont have any interest in learning.

I hope this helps and that you feel better soon!
Laura

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #11 - 04/04/11 at 05:47:39

Kristi wrote on 04/04/11 at 03:02:46:
I cannot seem to locate the list of tests by Starflower. Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks!!

Kristi

Here you go Smiley

http://mastcelldisorders.wallack.us/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1296696091

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Kristi
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #12 - 04/04/11 at 07:36:45

Starflower--thanks for the link.

Lisa--I would love for you to send me a copy of your blood test spreadsheet. That's a great idea.

Laura--thanks for your input. I forgot to mention that back in December when this all got bad I read about skin spots being an indicator of SM. I went to my dermatologist and he biopsied two of the larger more pitted-looking spots which came back as age/liver spots=no mast cells. I'd say maybe 1/4 of my spots look like that, the rest look more freckle-like. Maybe I need to have a few of those biopsied. They make up the majority of my spots. I'll add that I was never a freckly person until a couple of years ago. The dermatologist also scratched me to see if I had Darrier's sign. I didn't. It sounds like you've been through a lot with four hospitalizations. I hope you are feeling better now. I am ok with traveling to an expert, just unsure who and how to get started.

Josie--you said your tryptase is negative. May I ask what the number is? You asked what I'm eating. Well, I have existed on mostly rice chex and an occasional potato for the most part since this began. The dr said I have to be brave and start branching out and trying new foods, but every time I do it backfires. It stinks. I'm so frustrated over not being able to eat. Surprisingly, I've only lost about 5 lbs, but I'm fairly thin to begin with.

Thanks Ladies. My husband is so happy I finally have someone to talk to that understands what I'm going through.

Kristi

IP Logged

Josie
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 04/04/11 at 09:13:11

Hi Kristi ,

My tryptase is 3 . I need to check it against my in reaction levels . But I know one was 3 . So , on bloods I am constantly negative . My CRP and ESR are raised and have been since the beginning of this . This are inflammatory markers . Infection shows as increased white cells and CRP/ESR . Inflammation , white cells normal , high CRP /ESR .

I am similar in spots . i have lots of new freckles and red dots , which i will show my specialist . My freckles go red when i am reacting . None have dariers sign . This makes them more likely to be temp , which is a rare form of urticaria pigmantosa . More questions for my specialist Wink I think Biopsies of the freckles is a good idea , then you will know Wink I ave one which does utricate , just yesterday , so ill offer my GP a look at that one !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Food is such an issue for many of us . There is a low histamine diet , if you try anything make it from there . I think sticking with what you know may be advisable . As you are in what i call a snowball , where you have reaction on reaction , this can be due to many things . Common ones are stress , infection or just good old contents of the mast cell triggering more bursting of mast cells .

last year this situation made me react to a fresh orange . Am I allergic to oranges , no , but my tummy was so poorly , I was reacting to everything .

Getting your meds to a good level is vital . What are you on ? If you look in avonleas ( whitneys )  thread , hoping for a new day you will see what I am on . With this I am doing ed every3-4 months . much better than before .

Augmentin in penicillin . Trimethrprim is not but the sulpher element in bactrim may have been the culprit . You need to avoid peniccillins from here on in and trimethroprim and sulphur based antibiotics . As your reactions have been anaphylacitc to these . A blood draw can be done on meds , I know I am repeating others but . IT IS DANGEROUS FOR YOU to stop your antihistamines sweets . They are between you and a serious anaphylaxis .

I understand your grading of reactions I have the same bredth . BUT my biggies are what has made me push for the right doctor . You need to be protected sweets .

I hope your reactions have been taken seriously .

An IGE of 140 isn't normal sweets . Over 100 is anaphylaxis level .I have several true allergies like you . cats , grass , house dust . mast cell disease just puts a big microscope over any allergies and makes them bigger . Control of the underlying problem will help but they are with you .  

I am glad your here , I just want to hear you have been to a specalist as I know where you are and you need the protection of a proper medication regiemn , now .

many hugs

Josie

Bone pain in my arms now . urrrrrrrrggghhhhhhhhh

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #14 - 04/04/11 at 10:42:19

Kristi,

My tryptase is 4!  I'm going to be restesting it next week.  You don't need to worry about SM until you've got a baseline reading of over 20ng!  The higher the number, the more mast cell burden there seems to be.  The correlation is proven, although according to Dr. Castells, there is another mediator related test which may be more reliable, however it's not commercially available yet and this may take some time.  Some of us have low tryptase levels and yet they don't know why.  it may be that it's due to the form of masto we have, but then it may not be, they aren't certain yet.  However, what they do know is that those patients who are true SM patients have high levels and so, please, get it out of your head that you are having anything to have to seriously worry about yet as far as the mast cell neoplasm goes.  If you had any kind of aggressive SM then YOU'D KNOW IT and so would your doctors!   Your CBCs would be SCREAMING out due to all of the alterations they'd be showing and they'd have hospitalized you by now and you'd also be diagnosed by now.  

Remember this - aggressive disease, be it autoimmune, or cancers or any other kind of disease SCREAMS out at the doctors!!   If they aren't jumping 10 feet in the air when they see your tests results, then BE AT PEACE.  You may have something wrong with you, but it's not so seriously wrong that it's life threatening.  Masto, even though it's a neoplasm is such a SLOW GROWING neoplasm that it's not considered an aggressive disease and the ONLY TIME it's considered cancer-like is when it's in it's aggressive form.  Smoldering masto is considered threatening, but even then, it's not yet crossed over.  

So, from going to 2, 3 to 5ng/mL, this is not a big jump and it's not important.  You could have been more reactive and this would reflect that higher activity, but it would not cause any doctor to jump out of his skin, which is why you have doctors who aren't even blinking!!  

So, be at peace, you're doing okay!!!

Lisa

Don´t forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print