Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rotator Cuff Injury? (Read 4111 times)
jbean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Rotator Cuff Injury?
03/27/11 at 14:34:51

Has anybody ever had a torn rotator cuff?  I think I might have injured mine lifting some hand weights when I was doing aerobics.  It hurts pretty hard when I lift my arm, right up by the tip of my shoulder.  It's been hurting pretty hard for several days now.  I am just HOPING it is a sprain and will go away!

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Re: Rotator Cuff Injury?
Reply #1 - 03/28/11 at 14:46:59

Sorry to hear about your accident Jilly!!!   I hope you heal quickly!

Nope, never had this situation.  Gee, one that I've not had yet!!!  That's nice!!   Sorry it had to happen to you though!!!

Jill, I found some research regarding Ketotifen and orthopedic trauma injuries and they found that the mast cell stabilizer HELPED IMPROVE THE INJURY!    So, I think that you can be at peace if you're on gastrochrom that this medicine will help you.  In fact, if you would up your doses of MC stabilizer for a few months, until your arm fully heals, this would be a good idea.  This research was very interesting and I think it's worth taking seriously with an injury like this.  

If you want a copy of the report, just email me!!

Hugs!

Donīt forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Re: Rotator Cuff Injury?
Reply #2 - 03/28/11 at 15:54:20

Could be a strain or a trigger point.  I think trigger points can be extremely painful.  I would try icing it. (very cold pack for no more than 20 minutes.  Protect your skin from frostbite by putting a piece of cloth between the cold and your shoulder.)  Do the ice at least a few times a day, but no more than once per hour.  The Physical Therapist told me that the cold should go through several stages in order to be therapeutic:  feeling very cold, burning, hurting cold, and finally numbness with no pain.  While heat may feel better, it increases inflammation, as you probably already know.

If it helps it feel better, then it's probably not a tear, but might want to check with an orthopedist if it's not better in a reasonable amount of time.  I tend to try ice first, then massage therapy.  Sometimes the pain is being referred from the neck or back.

Lisa, very interesting about the ketotifen and injuries.  Food for thought.

Joan

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print