Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
PERFUME!!!! (Read 27756 times)
Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Re: PERFUME!!!!
Reply #45 - 08/21/12 at 19:11:38

I had a different experience with doxepin.  It was the first medicine that helped my symptoms besides Benadryl, probably because it blocks both H1 and H2 histamine receptors.  It also helped me get into stage 4 sleep, which wasn't happening due to triggering, so I felt much better in the mornings.  I wonder if the difference for me is that I don't have the auto-immune variety of SM.

BTW, doxepin is a tricyclic antidepressant, whereas other drugs like Prozac, Zoloft, and others are SSRI's and inhibit serotonin re-uptake (meaning it leaves more serotonin circulating in the body instead of being taken out of circulation and broken down).

I couldn't agree with you more, Lisa, about avoidance of triggers allowing our bodies to settle down.  Even in IgE allergies, my doctor said that if I could get 8-10 hours in a room without triggers, I would start to get better and not react to so many things.  That meant no triggering foods, inhaled things, exposure to environmental triggers, artificial anything, etc.  It took a while, but it helped a lot.  Sometimes it seems impossible, but lowering stressors can make all the difference.  We can eat well and carefully, avoid food and environmental triggers, but if we have a lot of stress and too much to do, we'll trigger from that.  Looking at your mental/emotional stressors and trying to eliminate them, can be beneficial.

Joan

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #46 - 08/21/12 at 22:10:52

Well said Joan. so true

IP Logged

Britt
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: PERFUME!!!!/doxepin
Reply #47 - 09/08/12 at 07:44:49

Hi! Reading through older posts this morning! This one got me wondering about doxepin. So im piggybacking off a thread from August. I have struggled with anxiety and depression for much of my life (what is a symptom of mast cell disorder and what is not, I am not sure, but I do believe there in a fine line there). Ihave gone from being diagnosed with depression/panic anxiety disorder, to bipolar type 2, different from bipolar type 1. Anyway, I have tried virtually every medication out there for these different disorders, everything but  doxepin! I take take several mediacations that work on setotonin including Zoloft (which is an ssri) remeron (which I believe is a different class of medication, but still works on serotonin) and geodon, which also works on serotonin. I am kind of confused though. Do these medications deplete serotonin or give you more? From what I've read it sounds as though these drugs breakdown serotonin and get rid of it. As far as I know, I have never had a blood test to test my serotonin levels. I am wondering if having a mast cells disorder, its possible that I am already low in serotonin, and these drugs are making things worse???? If anyone had any insight on this, I am very interested. What could be the effects of having too little (or too much if I have this all backwards) serotonin?? And I was wondering about doxepin......does this drug help to calm mast cells in the brain? I know that the Zyrtec and Allegra do not cross the blood/brain barrier. Is it important to get something up there in the head?? Lol has doxepin been a good drug for people for both mast cell issues, as well as for those who also stuggle with depression/anxiety?

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #48 - 09/11/12 at 02:05:33

Doxepin is an SSRI as well as an old antihistamine.    As to your serotonine levels, you should ask your doctor to ask for the serum serotonin levels because not all masto patients have low levels.  Some have elevated serotonin levels and then doxepin would not be contraindicated for you!

Lisa

Donīt forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Britt
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #49 - 09/11/12 at 02:43:37

Hi lisa! So if I had low serotonin Doxipin would not be good for me? But if I had high levels, is would be an option???? I'm a little confused on high vs low levels and ssri's. Thanks!

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #50 - 09/18/12 at 20:16:19

This is a good link about the differences between tricyclic antidepressants and SSRIs.  It explains the effect each has on neurotransmitters:  

[url]http://www.emedexpert.com/compare/ssris-vs-tca.shtml/url]

Joan

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #51 - 09/25/12 at 10:51:33

Bridgitte, I've not got much understanding about this.  This is what one of my doctors told me and it made total sense cause every time I was given one of these I got much sicker!!  Now we know to shy totally away from any kind of SSRI.  Instead I need to eat foods and try to increase my serotonin levels.  But without doctors who really know about this, I'm not getting very far.

Lisa

IP Logged

Britt
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #52 - 09/25/12 at 12:21:53

Interesting Lisa! Did the doctor say that SSRI'S in particular did this, or any kind of antidepressant. Zoloft was the first psychiatric medication I was put on. And I did not feel well. As we titrated up, I feel awful and would sweat like crazy! Funny, he never took me off it. So a few years later he added very lowdown geodon (an antipsychotic, eekkk! Bit in low dose it is simply and antidepressant) this medication seems to help much better. Actually, it worked really well for my depression and mild OCD. Now I am also on remeron, which is not an SSRI, but is in a different catogory of antidepressants. I was given this because I'm an insomniac and typical sleeping medications don't work for me. (but over the summer, the remeron had stopped working for sleep  Embarrassed, I need to find something else.) anyways, if you remember any other info the doc said on these kinds of meds and how the effect mast cell disorder, I'd love to hear it! I wonder if the other meds are ok, but of we should start thinking about ditching the Zoloft  Huh

IP Logged

Britt
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #53 - 09/27/12 at 08:19:43

I'm going to my psychiatrist today. I think I'm going to talk to him about doxepin. Funny, out of all the immunologist and allergists I've seen, my psychiatrist is more on board with BELIEVING me and helping me than any of them!!! So I have a question. Last week I woke up with this weird hard hive looking thing in my cheek probably the size of a quarter.  It was white
in the middle and bright red around it. As the day went on, it turned all red. It took a few days to go down. It ended up oozing puss (eewww, go ahead and vomit! Lol) but it wasn't like a typical zit as it didn't start out like a zit, and when the puss did come out, unlike a zit, it came out of several small holes. Then the other day, another one started, same thing, and today it drained, again out of several small holes. I wish i could show y'all a picture. Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on what this might be. In the past, my hives don't drain, they just go away. Are there skin conditions caused by mast cell disorder that do this. Or do they just fade away? It's like nothing I've ever had before.  Huh

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #54 - 09/27/12 at 15:48:46

No, this doesn't sound like either a hive or a mast cell issue.  It sounds like an infection.  It could have been from a spider or other insect bite  (and possible spread to this other site) or it could be a boil (staph infection).  If the first one is healing on its own, you might let it dry up.  If not, I'd let your doctor look at it.

I'm not saying you should do what I would do, but I'd want to wean off all those psych meds as soon as possible.  If I were taking that many different prescriptions, I'd wonder if one or a combination of them weren't causing as many symptoms as they were helping.  For example, the insomnia could be from one of the meds, and, as Lisa said, SSRIs aren't thought to be good for us.  

Doxepin on the other hand, has been good for a number of people with MC issues.  The only reservation there is that it should only be taken at night if you have to drive or operate machinery, as it can make you sleepy.  That, of course, is helpful for someone with insomnia.  And, it should be started at a low dose.

Lisa, what foods increase serotonin?  Chocolate?  I'd like to try something natural!

Joan

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #55 - 10/22/12 at 22:18:04

I think youīre right Joan, it doesnīt sound masto at all!!!  MCs get involved yes, but itīs not masto caused.  Sounds like a bite to me too!!

As to food that raise serotonin levles.......I WISH I KNEW!!!

Lisa

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print