Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Visit YaBB today Wink
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Baby with swollen lymph nodes (Read 11130 times)
In2butterflyz
Tutor

Baby with swollen lymph nodes
03/14/11 at 07:58:14

Hey All,

Since you all gave Melissa such good advice about her baby I am going to take a turn!   Wink

Ok so around 4 weeks ago I noticed some lumps in my sons neck that felt like BB’s.  I assumed that they were swollen lymph nodes and did a little research and it seems to be a very common thing in children that may be fighting a infection.  He has had a bit of a runny nose for a while now so I assumed that was the cause.  Well last Wednesday he had his 12 month check up so I brought it to the doctors attention and he totally brushed it off as nothing.  Today I just noticed that he now has 2 large swollen lymph nodes in his groin they are both on the right side and are about the size of a kidney bean.  I am a HUGE worrier so I am trying to stay calm and not jump to any conclusions like lymphoma or anything like that (just hoping its a virus).  Have any of you parents out there experienced this kind of thing with your kids and if so how long do they normally stay swollen?  I also have a 3yr old daughter but she has never had a swollen lymph node that I have noticed so I am new to all this, I appreciate any feedback!

Thanks,
Tracey

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Re: Baby with swollen lymph nodes
Reply #1 - 03/14/11 at 09:08:27

Hi Tracey,

There are basically three causes of swollen lymph nodes...

1. Infection (the most common in children)
2. Malignancy (the least common in children)
3. Autoimmune disorders

I remember having swollen lymph nodes as a child (as a result of infection), especially in my neck... it was uncomfortable to touch them.  You can usually tell if infection is the cause of swollen lymph nodes by taking a round of antibiotics, but I would avoid that as long as your son is not too uncomfortable.  IMO, it's not worth messing around with the good flora in his intestines.

In RARE cases, kids can develop lymphoma (or another advanced malignancy) or a systemic autoimmune disorder like lupus.  Is there any history of autoimmune disorders in your family?  AARDA.org has a good list if you're not sure.  Keep in mind that lupus is much more common in females than males... it also tends to be accompanied by symptoms like joint pain, kidney damage, rashes, headaches, etc...  Lupus in a 12-month-old would be extremely rare.  Same for lymphoma (most lymphoma patients are age 50 or older).

As someone with a "rare" disorder... who also lost a child at a "rare" time in pregnancy (17 weeks)... the word "rare" is not as comforting to me as it might be to a "normal" person Wink  I do think the lumps are something to keep an eye on for the next few weeks, but try not to panic.  I'd say the chances are about 99% that it's an infection.

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #2 - 03/14/11 at 09:35:38

Boy Heather do I give you a hearty "amen" to that use of the word Rare!   I feel like I'm a collector of "rare" awards and even those of "unprecidented" and they assure me no comfort at all!!  

I think my case is one what proves, if you've already been diagnosed with a "rare" disease, then that means that the word "Rare" for you is now "normal" and anything goes!  If you are working with a "rare disease" then that means you've as much chance as the next Joe to be running up against "never before seen" situations as the rest of us!!   Having a "rare" disease means that anything is possible and likely and since it's "rare" it means that the combination of that disease along with other medical situations is as likely to happen with you as it is with any other "rare" patient out there!!   For us who are "rare", NOTHING is impossible and NOTHING is RARE!!!  

Don´t forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

In2butterflyz
Tutor

Reply #3 - 03/14/11 at 15:25:35

Hey Heather,   Smiley

Ok so I kinda feel a tiny bit better  Huh.   The whole “rare” conversation is what has me on edge.  Mast cell diseases are sooooo “rare” but yet I was one of the lucky ones to get it (yay for me) so like you guys said anything is possible and I know that.  And yes I do have a autoimmune disease in my family, my Mom has Psoriasis and I also have diabetes on both sides of my family which I didn’t see on the AARDA list but I thought it was autoimmune too?  

I was inspecting my son a little closer tonight.  He still does have the little BB’s on both sides of his neck and I also noticed that he has swollen nodes on both sides of his groin, he just has the two large lumps on the right side.  I don’t think his lymph nodes are tender, he did not cry or seem to be bothered by me poking around on him so I’m not sure if that’s a good thing or not?  I guess I will do what you and my Husband said, just keep an eye on them for a couple weeks and if they don’t go away then I will make an appointment …… not that I have any faith in doctors now days.

I vaguely remember when I was in first grade I also had a swollen lymph node in my neck.  I don’t recall anything about it but I do remember having to try a couple different medications to get rid of it.  It must have been a pretty good size lump because I remember my teacher noticed it and had the school call my Mom to see if she knew about it and if I had been to the doctor.  This is something I will be asking my Mom more about.

Thanks Again,
Tracey

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #4 - 03/14/11 at 17:22:15

Hi Tracey,

Yes, psoriasis is an autoimmune disorder.  You probably know that type I diabetes is autoimmune, but type II is not.  You shouldn't assume that all "adult-onset" diabetes is type II though... the only way to tell them apart is with a blood test (for specific auto-antibodies), but most doctors don't do that for adults.  They just assume it's type II.  

Anyway... 12 months is very young for a systemic autoimmune disorder.  It's possible, just not very likely.  Has your son had any other health problems?  Smart thing to ask your mom about your own childhood health Smiley

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Sandi
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 03/14/11 at 18:24:51

Hi Tracey, well It's been a loooooonnnng time since mine were wee, my daughter often had swollen nodes, very often and fairly large too, from appearing in her neck to armpits,  when we knew she was coming down with a doozy she'd get one a little smaller than a pea but bigger than a bb on the corner of her eyebrow. She did have swollen nodes a lot. Even when not sick. We did see the doc quite a few times for them because they were not going away. My son occasionally but not like my daughter. I Trampolining actually helps to clean out your lymph system supposedly.
We did get her a trampoline and it was years of fun for them! Just keep an eye on them and try not to panic, she's probably fighting something off. There is lymph massage also you can look up, I wouldn't do anything extreme, just lightweight stuff, aid her diet with some healthy choices to boost the immune system and maybe a little extra snuggle with mommy time for rest Smiley  I'll have you know she's 20 now and does not have them nearly as much nor in size as compared to what she had dealt with. So your little man is probably just fine and fighting something!

IP Logged

In2butterflyz
Tutor

Reply #6 - 03/15/11 at 04:38:49

Heather,

Thanks for clarifying the facts of diabetes, I did not know that, but now I do!  Smiley
As far as my sons health history, he has always been very healthy.

Sandi,

That is somewhat comforting to hear that your daughter had swollen nodes a lot even when she was not sick.   I didn’t feel any swollen nodes in his armpits which actually surprised me.  As far as the trampoline well I think that will have to wait quite a few years since my little guy isn’t even walking yet.  I agree trampolines are fun, my neighbors had one growing up and we had a lot of fun on it, but we also had a lot of injuries too!

Thanks Again,
Tracey

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print