Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Low histimine recipes (Read 13155 times)
nikweth
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Low histimine recipes
03/08/11 at 23:57:07

Does anyone have a collection of low histimine recipes? I'm just wondering what you all eat? I feel like I'm running out of options which is making food rotation almost impossible.

IP Logged

ruth
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Low histimine recipes
Reply #1 - 03/09/11 at 00:10:24

There is a really good cookbook put out by the allergy department of a Sydney (Australia) hospital, Friendly Food: The Essential Guide to Avoiding Allergies, Additives and Problem Chemicals. You can find it on amazon, or order it online form the hospital website, I think they ship OS. http://www.sswahs.nsw.gov.au/rpa/allergy/default.htm.

The recipes are designed around it's low chemical elimination diet approach, so it covers amines as well as glutamates and salicylates, and chemical additives. It also has gluten, dairy and egg-free recipes. You can take the recipes and tailor it to your needs, add in if you don't need to exclude all of those groups.  

IP Logged

In2butterflyz
Tutor

Reply #2 - 03/09/11 at 14:04:49

There is also a cookbook called The Red Wine Headache Cookbook.  It is a cookbook written for people living with Histaminosis  (also called Histamine Intolerance).

Here is the website if you want to check it out.  

http://www.theredwineheadachecookbook.com/

Take Care,
Tracey

IP Logged

In2butterflyz
Tutor

Reply #3 - 03/09/11 at 14:32:16

One thing I should also mention is The Red Wine Headache Cookbook was written in the UK so you would have to convert to US measurements.

By the way, If you go to the website they do have a recipe section you could check out.

Take Care,
Tracey

IP Logged

nikweth
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 03/09/11 at 16:26:08

Thanks so much. Have you tried the Redwine Cookbook?  Just looking for some feedback on the recipes.

IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #5 - 03/10/11 at 05:45:39

Here are some food blog sites that have pretty good recipes. Not everything is low histamine, but lots of it is. I like it because most of these use alternative flours and grains. I'm gluten, soy, dairy, and egg free as well. Also can't tolerate grapes, oranges, dates, raisons, any dried fruit. I hope you like. Food rotation is hard for me too.
http://www.nourishingmeals.com/

http://www.thespunkycoconut.com/

http://www.elanaspantry.com/

http://www.foodsensitivityjournal.com/

http://www.manifestvegan.com/about/

IP Logged

In2butterflyz
Tutor

Reply #6 - 03/10/11 at 13:53:57

Nikweth,

I haven’t tried this cookbook, I just stumbled upon it one day while I was researching.  There might be other cookbooks out there as well I haven’t looked into it anymore.

Melissa,

That really stinks that there is so much you cant have!  What do you normally eat and snack on?

Take Care,
Tracey

IP Logged

Sandi
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #7 - 03/10/11 at 19:33:48

Nikwith
Don't forget you can check food allergy books out at the library so you can look them over, or go to a bookstore that has a variety. They are usually in the medical section not the cookbook section. I have many on my shelves that were a total waste of my money, I couldn't have one thing in them. The gluten free ones drive me insane, wow you can't have one thing and you write a cookbook! Holy cow! I'd just laugh, all major allergens in all the recipes but gluten.

A book I can recommend is The Ultimate Food Allergy cookbook and survival guide by nicolette dumke. Again 90 percent of the book I can't have, but there were a few I could and one more idea to eat is worth a ton to us!!! Down in the recipe section I have a few recipes, check out the teff scones. Scone is imaginary, I love the sound and they look great, it's kind of like eating a sand castle. But it's food Smiley
sometimes people are not as limited as they think once they start getting ideas from books/magazines. I was telling someone recently about a magazine called living without, your library may have that also just to check out without subscribing or again browse at barnes and see if it's worth your while.  Hopefully you can get your symptoms under control and possibly get some foods back into your diet. Sometimes it is really hard to figure if you are having a food issue or just an overall the masties are nasty no matter what you eat period. Then you calm down and can have some things for a bit and wham, time to remove it for a bit and then you can bring it back.

IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #8 - 03/12/11 at 06:59:05

Tracey- I eat a lot of meat, beans, rice, g-free noodles. Fresh or frozen veggies. Some berries, usually frozen to make smoothies. Bananas, green apples, pears. Grains- buckwheat flour, teff flour, hemp flour, rice flour, sorghum flour, coconut flour, almound flour, chickpea flour, g-free steel cut oats and oat meal. Almond milk, hemp milk, rice milk, coconut milk. Rice tortilla wraps. Chia seeds, sunflower seeds, cashews, almonds, etc.
Melissa

IP Logged

nikweth
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #9 - 03/13/11 at 14:31:10

Thanks for the info.  I did not know that there were rice tortillas and I'll check out some of the allergy cookbooks.

IP Logged

Sandi
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #10 - 03/13/11 at 17:10:30

Melissa, I know you are having issues still have you tested the beans seperately, Red ones/ Kidney/ Pinto and whites bug me terribly. Garbanzo and black I'm on the fence right now. Just a thought, I was in shock when I figured out pinto, that bummed me out bigtime, one of my last food allergy blood tests actually pointed that one out, none of the others in the past 20 years had, but I've re tested time and time again and yup no pinto or kidney. I think those are high histamine also though. So I may be rambling for nada!

IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #11 - 03/15/11 at 07:23:07

I haven't tested the beans yet, good idea. I think garlic is bothering me. I'm really sad because I eat it a lot. That's probably why it bothers me. I haven't had garlic in 6 days and no heartburn. whaaaaaaa! I love garlic!
Melissa

IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #12 - 03/15/11 at 07:24:02

Sandi, did you do IgG Allergy or IgE?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print