Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ear infections (Read 5433 times)
jp
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

ear infections
02/27/11 at 11:56:07

Has anyone experienced or heard about middle ear infections being associated with masto or high tryptase levels?

IP Logged

r123
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: ear infections
Reply #1 - 05/20/11 at 10:34:33

I don't know about ear infections (It's totally possible I'm sure) but I have tons of other ear problems, mostly with my eustachian tubes... I'm not sure if I have actual mast cells in my ear, which when triggered swell up like the ones on my skin do, or if my masto just causes my eustachian tube to swell and not close and open properly, but my ears are constantly popping over and over... and sometimes they wont pop, so I feel like I can't hear much.... it's extremely aggravating.

thought I'd share because Dr. Castells even told me it wasn't a masto thing, but I've lived with it for the last 5 years... as wonderful of a doctor as Castells is (and she's fantastic)... I know its a masto thing.

IP Logged

juliegee
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 05/21/11 at 08:13:25

You described my ears to a T. Very frustrating as I have trouble swimming and flying (in a plane Cheesy) Both worsen my condition.

IP Logged

sandyb
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 08/01/11 at 14:39:17

AHHHHH. I was looking for someone who had this problem! Not that I want anyone to suffer of course. I was considering emailing Dr. Castells but thought I would check around here first. I havent had ear problems since I was a teenager but all of a sudden I have ears that hurt. I had an ear infection that cleared with antibiotics but a week later were so inflamed on the inside that they gave me predisone. That helped but now a week later they are starting up again. Any advice for relief? Tylenol doesnt cut it. My "spots" worsen on nsaids so I stay away if I can tolerate it. And that popping!!! Oh I know what you mean. It is enough to drive me insane (more so than usual LOL)

IP Logged

juliegee
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 08/21/11 at 12:45:37

Yes, I have found some relief. I use a neti pot with Wilson's solution (antibiotics mixed in saline solution- it is a prescription.) This may worsen things initially, but will help ultimately if you can stick with it. I use it daily during very symptomatic periods. It's supposed to treat/prevent a sinus infection, BUT helps with my ear stuff.

Anytime I get my ears wet (especially after swimming) I have learned to actually pour a capful of rubbing alcohol into each ear. It initially feels awful, but within a few minutes all dribbles out- along with the rest of the trapped fluid in my inner ear.

My pain relief of choice is sodium naproxen- 2 @ 220mg...not sure if you can tolerate that one?

Swimming and any altitude change worsen things, but after many years I have gotten used to the chronic noises and intermittent pain. I am definitely better, but far from cured.

Hope some of this helps you, Sandy. forgive my long delay in responding. i just saw your post.

Hugs-

Julie

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print