Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  We've upgraded to YaBB 2!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Figuring out exercise-related reactions (Read 9779 times)
Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Re: Figuring out exercise-related reactions
Reply #15 - 06/12/12 at 10:10:56

I wonder if Cameron's tried swimming.  It removes the possibility of over-heating, can be done by himself (without feeling the stress of competition with others), and he can set incremental goals for himself.  Water games are also good, because the resistance of the water is exercise in itself.  Of course, if he reacts to too much cold, that could be an issue unless you can find a warm pool.  Here, there are warm saltwater pools that don't use chemicals.  Don't know if there are any in your area.

Joan

IP Logged

ruth
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #16 - 06/12/12 at 19:15:58

Hi Joan, he has been a swimmer. Growing up in Australia and Singapore that is one sport that has been part of his life, and my other kids swam a lot. His skin reacts, I assume to the chlorine, and we haven't tried a salt-chlorinated pool. He gets flushed even in an unheated pool, but that might be from the chemicals rather than overheating. Golf  and cycling are our best options at the moment, but it's a constant battle to get him to do anything, and he still has some pain from his fractured tibia. We are getting a dog over summer (a hypoallergenic one) partly in the hope that it will give him a reason to get out and walk regularly.

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #17 - 06/13/12 at 11:52:48

Hi Ruth,

I had an asthmatic/highly allergic son, and he did fine with a Soft-Coated Wheaten Terries.  We were very lucky about that, but now my daughter has now become allergic to dogs!

You already may have done this, but is it possible to have Cameron spend a lot of time over several weeks with the breed of dog you're thinking of getting, especially the pup's parents?  As you probably know, anyone can be allergic to any dog, simply because of the proteins in its saliva, but it can take a while to react.  

Just curious, what breed are you planning to get?

I hope he'll soon feel better and will want to exercise.

Joan

IP Logged

ruth
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #18 - 06/13/12 at 18:45:15

That's the breed we are getting! Thry are quite lovely dogs. We have visited the breeder but unfortunately she is a smoker so we can't judge his tolerance by visiting with her dogs. Even being in a room with an airfilter where the pups are, and no smoking in that room, we could smell tobacco on our hands after our visit, probably from the mother dogs fur. I have put this decision off for a long time, my kids have wanted a dog forever. I have decided to take the  risk, for the sake of the other benefits, and if a problem becomes obvious then we will have to deal with it. He has spent time with other dogs, and we have cats, and it hasn't seemed to be a problem, but I know it can vary. I have had friends with known cat allergies who have visited us and not reacted at all to our cat, he must be somehow less allergenic than others.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print