Send Topic Print
Our story ... (Read 2732 times)
tijana
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Our story ...
02/13/11 at 03:44:22

Hi,

My name is Tijana and I live in a small country of Croatia. My son is 5 months and two months ago he was diagnosed with Mastocytosis. Initially, doctors did not suspect mastocytosis, so we were two months with the wrong diagnosis. When the one Morfi blister appeared, made a biopsy that confirmed mastocytosis. We are then sent to hospital for children's dermatology department, to make hematological tests. Blood count is fine, but finding tryptase was increased considerably and it is 28.8. Dr told us that the skin may show increased value of tryptase since Jan has "dots" all over his body. He was diagnosed with Mastocytosis cutis (UP). We started to use an antihistamine three times a day and Zaditen syrup twice a day. The last couple of days regardless of the drug leads to flushing, so I am sincerely worried, because I thought that this would not occur with therapy. I still have not managed to reveal the trigger, because the flushing occurs without rhyme or reason: (...

Everyone we send greetings ...

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Re: Our story ...
Reply #1 - 02/13/11 at 04:27:00

Hi Tijana Smiley
Its wonderful to meet you and your tiny son Smiley Give yourself a pat on the back... and realize you did a GREAT job getting the right diagnosis so quickly. I know, as a Mother,,, it hurts when our children suffer and we cant seem to help it.. we will help you, I promise...
First thing is.. if he is still flushing, he needs one of his meds increased or another one added to it. Flushing means he is reacting and too close to having those mast cells misbehave. Call his doctor and see what he think about which med should be increased or added.

Next thing... I want you to start keep a diary of what he eats how he reacts hat his activity level is--every day. That will show you patterns in the long run to what he is reacting to.. I also want you to read about low histamine diet.  He wont react to all of those but for the time being, cut all of those out until he is more stable with his meds and reactions.

The good things is this... most children grow OUT of having mastocytosis around puberty and odds are he will. Until then I have no doubt he will be ok.. he has a wonderful Mother watching over him Smiley
Hugs,
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #2 - 02/13/11 at 04:29:41

Tijana I also want to let you know there is an organization just for kids and their Moms... I think you would benefit from having other Moms to talk to about this... their url is;
mastokids.org
HUgs again,
Ramona

IP Logged

tijana
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 02/13/11 at 06:30:29

Dear Ramona, thanks for your advice  Smiley ... mastokid the first page you've visited, the only thing that I still have not registered, I have to find someone who has paypal:), in order to obtain more information. Janu I just started to introduce food, until now we try a food that is rich in histamine (carrots, apples, potatoes, pear, peach), a doctor we just mentioned shellfish, which of course he will not eat. Days of our standing banana porridge, who can not seem to try, because I'm afraid of his reaction. I do not know whether all react to all foods, with histamine or is this individual? Because so many foods rich in histamine  Sad ...

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #4 - 02/13/11 at 08:33:46

Hi Tijana,
Thats a problem for sure. Have you tried some rice cereal?? Your a smart Mom checking each food first. I wish it was easier on you and him too.
Hugs,
Ramona

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #5 - 02/13/11 at 13:51:16

Hi Tijana,

Welcome to our group!   I hope we can help you!!   We have some moms here, and we can help you!  You don't have to join the mastokids site.  You're right, you have to pay to be a part there but not here and we can help you too.  

Also, there is a European mastocytosis support community and I've gotten a couple of names for you that might help.  I live in Brazil and know how hard it is to find help and doctors who know the disease, so please don't leave us, we can indeed help you for we patients know the disease and how it works often better than our own doctors do.  We can give you information and understanding that will help you understand your baby boy and keep him safe.

Also, if you are interested, I do know that Dr. Luis Escribano, who is a major researcher.  He enlists children around the world for his studies.  He is in Spain.  You can write to Dr. Escribano and perhaps he may know of a doctor there who can help you.  Perhaps Dr. Akin also knows of one - I will ask him.

Here is the name of the website:  European Mastocytosis Support Network.    http://www.mastocytosis.eu/

There are two pages which may be of a help for you, the one for the Slovenia group:  http://www.mastocytosis.eu/countries/slovenia.php
and the other for the Czech group:
http://www.mastocytosis.eu/countries/czech.php

If you will notice Tijana, on the Czech group are the Mastocytosis medical protocols of Dr. Escribano.  If these are in your language, then print them off for your doctors to use when they have to do anything with your son.  This will help to protect him.  

There is also a listing of medications, etc, that should be avoided.  Print this out as well, for it will help you.  

Tijana, if you want to speak with Dr. Escribano of Spain, let me know.  Send me a PM and I'll give you his email address.

I hope this help!

Lisa

Don´t forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print