Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New Info about Fish and Histamine (Read 6739 times)
Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
New Info about Fish and Histamine
02/12/11 at 09:54:31

I found this article (book) by the FDA online about fish and potential hazards.  It looks as though there may be some species besides salmon that are less likely than others to produce histamine after they are caught and killed.  

I'm not recommending anyone else try them, but it's an interesting publication.    The charts in Chapters 3-1 and 3-2 are what I was reading:  

http://www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceComplianceRegulatoryInformation/GuidanceDocument...

If that link doesn't work, go to:   http://www.fda.gov/Food and click through the options as follows:

Home> Food> Guidance, Compliance & Regulatory Information> Guidance Documents>Fish and Fisheries Hazards and Controls Guidance>Chapter 3, Potential Species-Related....

I don't know that this means some are safe for masto people, but I think I might try some and see what happens.  Scary, but I'm hoping I can find something other than salmon that I can have without fear of repercussions!  Don't recommend it for others, though.  I'm a leaker, so it may not be as dangerous for me to try.

Joan

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Re: New Info about Fish and Histamine
Reply #1 - 02/12/11 at 11:39:54

I've had a lot of success with fresh fish!  It's only leftover, canned (tuna), or seafood that gives me problems.  I am soooooo happy that I can still eat sushi Kiss  IMO, raw fish is super delicious.

Heather

ps - I've been immunized against Hepatitis A and B... and I'm careful about the places I go.  No "discount" sushi, thanks.

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #2 - 02/12/11 at 15:12:20

One more thing...

Supposedly, frozen fish is safer than fresh fish if it's thawed and cooked quickly and thoroughly.

Joan

IP Logged

Josie
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 02/20/11 at 04:14:53

Hi Joan ,

I was watching a programme on farmed fish and the feed contains a trigger for me , corn starch .

I would say that people check this Smiley I'm off fin fish since my shock which you picked up it could be a trigger .

I have found scampi / langostines ok for me . But I as Joan am not recommending anyone try any fish . prawns are allowed to be sulphited on the ship up to 30ppm . Fishmongers ( uk ) are also allowed to use sulphites to preserve colour xxxxxx

Sulphites are a problem for me . Complete eradication has helped me My bowel was very poorly with swelling and i think it was letting chemicals that don't normally cause problems as they are big and not protiens pass into my blood .

hugs
Josie

IP Logged

chaco
Tutor

Reply #4 - 02/20/11 at 15:38:38

Histamine levels in gutted fish can double every 20 minutes!  I imagine that's probably why I can't eat any fish, period.  Sad

http://www.foodsmatter.com/allergy_intolerance/miscellaneous/articles/histamine_...

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #5 - 02/21/11 at 00:51:16

I miss fish so much Sad
I allow myself to eat it twice a year--lobster, crab alfedo or shrimp scampi on a Holiday. It helps me to ignore it easier the rest of the year.
hugs,
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print