Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Expensive meds! (Read 3210 times)
missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Expensive meds!
02/10/11 at 11:04:38

Holly moley! I just found out how much the cromolyn costs. There is no way I can afford this medication every month. I could buy it here or there but I can't afford to pay that every month.My pharmacist says most insurance companies don't want to pay for compound prescriptions.I remember a few people talking about another version of the cromolyn that is a powder and it's way cheaper.?????? I wondering about the nasalcrom spray or is that just not potent enough. I see a lot of people on here take singular and say it helps with your skin. Maybe I should ask my derm. Is there any other cheaper versions of a mast cell stabilizer? I'm pretty close to Canada, I wonder if I can buy  that one med that starts with a K. Anybody who uses the nasalcrom, does it make a noticeable difference for you?
Melissa

IP Logged

chaco
Tutor

Re: Expensive meds!
Reply #1 - 02/10/11 at 15:55:21

I have pure Cromolyn sodium compounded, 120 - 200mg caps for $52.00.  I also take chloropheneramine, an H1 receptor antagonist, compounded with pure DE as a filler, and that costs me $92.00 for 240 - 2mg caps.

Deb Mc

IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #2 - 02/10/11 at 17:27:46

Where do you get your cromolyn for 52.00 bucks? Is that a months supply? Do you live in the states? I went to Walgreens, to get mine. My insurance only would cover ten bucks of the cromolyn.
Melissa

IP Logged

chaco
Tutor

Reply #3 - 02/11/11 at 09:04:23

Yep.  $52 for 120 -200mg caps. Actually, that's 1/2 a month supply. My PCP recently upped my doseage to 2-200 mg. caps 4Xday.  A month's supply, or 240 caps, costs me $104.00.  Some days I take the full dose if needed, otherwise I only take 200mg at a time.

I get mine done at a compounding pharmacy in Cave Creek, AZ.  It's pure cromolyn sodium, too, no additives, no fillers.  200 mg fits perfectly in a gel cap so no filler is needed. The pharmacist special orders the pure cromolyn for me, from MI or MN, I believe, in bulk.  After several months, they are now making my prescriptions ahead and keeping it in "stock" so when I call for a refill, I can go right in and it's ready for pick up.

You might want to try calling around to compounding pharmacies in your area and ask how much they'd charge.  Where are you located?

Deb Mc

IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #4 - 02/11/11 at 09:24:22

Washington State. Pacific Northwest. There are only 2 compounding pharmacies that I know of in this area(where I live). It was 90 for a months supply but I'm not sure what the dose was and I was supposed to start with a certain amount and then increase. So it sounds like the price is comparable to what you are paying.
Melissa

IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #5 - 02/22/11 at 11:05:27

Picked up my Cromoyln today. Excited to start taking. Some how my insurance paid half today so I was very happy with that. Also heard back from my doctor about all blood work results and she said all is good and the tryptase level came back at 3.4 so that was also good. Now if this awful headache would go away. I feel like someone hit me with a baseball bat in the back of my head, it's only on one side though. Probably time to go to the chiropractor for an adjustment.
Melissa

IP Logged

chaco
Tutor

Reply #6 - 02/22/11 at 18:08:39

Hope it does the trick.

Deb Mc

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print