Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Winter storm in the US Midwest (Read 14134 times)
DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Re: Winter storm in the US Midwest
Reply #15 - 02/02/11 at 03:29:39

Hey Mike,

Keep Heather and me posted on your Indy trip! May is fun here because of the Indy 500. So, you can't get bored, especially if you are a car fan. I can also direct you to good vs bad areas for hotels. My hubbie is a HUGE race fan, so if you have any interest in that, he can talk your ear off! LOL

Glad that you didn't get hit too hard by the storm. You shouldn't be out there working on that driveway, though, you know....I fear that we are stuck in the house because we can't even chop out way out of the driveway because of all the ice. I just measure the ice on my patio: 2 1/4" pure ice. Pretty crazy. I don't see how the kids are getting to school at all this week, because it's not supposed to get above freezing until Sunday...and then we apparently have another storm hitting that day or the next. My 3 beautiful super tall birch trees in my backyard have lost a lot of branches, and the middle tree is now 1/3 shorter than the other 2 (it wasn't that way 2 days ago). Just great.  Eventually this is going to get really annoying!

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

mikev
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
st louis, mo
Reply #16 - 02/02/11 at 04:34:42

Deb:
Will keep you both posted but don't plan to come for the indy 500 but the Mecum Auto Auction from May17-22. They sell lots of old muscle cars. My friend & are I are both in our 60's so owned muscle cars back in 70's now have new ones. We go to these shows just to look not to buy way to expensive. Maybe your hubby likes these as well.
Glad we missed the ice, the sleet was bad enough. Don't have a lot of choice on the driveway have to get to work. I know what the results usually are so try to do it in sections but still vigourous exercise like that is not good for us although I do light exercises every day with no issues, in fact feel better afterwards.
MikeV

IP Logged

Sandi
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #17 - 02/02/11 at 06:04:15

With the sun out our temperature is currently 33 degrees, this is insane  cold! I don't know how you people do it! I need a real jacket, I don't think I've ever seen it this cold here when the sun was out! My poor plants :0 !!!! Trying to water them, going to be colder tonight but the pipes are frozen! Wish we at least had some moisture, we'd be having some snow to enjoy too. Even when we are "cold" 50-60 degree days the sun really makes things feel almost hot...... mmmmm yeah not today.... that wind is like a slap in the face with a frozen noodle! Ok thought I'd make all of you toughing it out right now in the serious stuff laugh, however I will be back along with DebMC when our 110 degrees are posting to your lovely 70 and 80!! Smiley Keep safe peeps and stay inside and use up the food supply you have in the house till its safe to travel out on those roads!

IP Logged

Sandi
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #18 - 02/02/11 at 06:06:39

Mike, my husband went to a Barret Jackson one year, Whew insane!
Have you checked out copart.com for fixer uppers? Do you have trouble triggering around the mechanical stuff? We were big time into NHRA drag racing ( as spectators) used to lovvvvee to go and hang in the pits, such a bummer I cant go anymore, nitro would send me down quick. . . It was a huge challenge I'd stand there when they'd fire up a car and "tough it out" while people were gagging and running away, not brilliant! But it was fun! Smiley
Fun Days

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #19 - 02/02/11 at 06:22:30

Hey Sandi,

You are having a regular heat wave! LOL. I wouldn't even need a coat if we had those temps.  Ok, remind me: are you in southern US or are you one of Aussies who are boiling up (or getting blown away by a typhoon)?

As for the food, I am in a constant battle NOT to eat any of the goodies around my house since I am majorly dieting! So far, so good, but it's a struggle. At least if I were running around with the kids, I wouldn't be around food! Eek! Smiley

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

mikev
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
st louis, mo
Reply #20 - 02/02/11 at 08:33:13

Sandi:
With my masto I have a strong sense of smell but don't seem to trigger from anything like that. My friend & I wanted to go to Barrett Jackman but too far away. Watched last week the auction from Scottsdale & was it neat. Love NHRA as well but with my skin sitting in the sun for any lenght of time is a no, no. , but am a huge dirt track race fan with my brother and lots of alcohol base fuel there with their cars, but I have more trouble with the dirt on my skin, since my masto is so skin based. Sometimes the alcohol does bother my eyes, then I bring out the pataday & am OK. Wish I was with you, I trigger on cold & it's supposed to be -3 tomorrow here in Missouri.
Mike V

IP Logged

In2butterflyz
Tutor

Reply #21 - 02/02/11 at 09:52:24

Hey Sandi & Mike

So you guys are NHRA fans too!!  That was my childhood growing up at the tracks.   My Dad has always been involved in racing somehow, either driving or being a crew chief.  I haven’t been to the track in about 3 years so not since my whole mast cell stuff started happening.  I will be back at the track this summer (my brother has a front engine dragster) and I was already nervous about the heat like Mike said but now I guess I should to be nervous about the fumes too.  Gotta love this crazy diseases!   Cheesy  Oh and Sandi that’s so funny about the nitro, I am always one of the sissies running away crying and gagging as soon as that yellow cloud gets close, my husband can tough it out like you.

Take Care,
Tracey

IP Logged

mikev
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
st louis, mo
Reply #22 - 02/02/11 at 10:11:17

Tracey:
Don't let the fumes stop you we have to have some fun around our miseries. Like I said I handle the alcohol from dirt tracks real well, just some times my eyes but then wear goggles or use pataday & am OK. I actually used to run my '71 Plymouth 340 Duster in the street stock. Shows how old I am. I was raised around cars also, my dad was a mechanic. So he would work on my cars & I would drive them on Sundays. Fri & Sat nights we were at the dirt tracks watching, most of time with my mom until she had my younger brother. When dad passed she started going  & love them too. So go & have some fun you deserve it.
MikeV

IP Logged

In2butterflyz
Tutor

Reply #23 - 02/02/11 at 14:52:21

Hey Mike,
I will take my chances and probably go to a race this year, hopefully I will be fine.   I am solely a shocker so I have the hardest time figuring out triggers because I feel great in-between my shocks.   I have a rain barrel effect, I guess instead of triggering like most I just add to my barrel then when I fill it up  …..  Look Out!!  Shocked       Tongue       Embarrassed
 I will just have to pay extra attention to everything around me and how I’m feeling also I need to crack down more on my low histamine diet.
By the way my brother-in-law has a dirt track car, its just a 4 cylinder but he absolutely loves getting out there every weekend and racing.

Take Care,
Tracey

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #24 - 02/02/11 at 17:19:21

BOYS  AND CARS!!!

BOYS AND TRUCKS!!

BOYS AND VRRRRROOOOOOOMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Smiley

Don´t forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Sandi
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #25 - 02/03/11 at 17:26:23

Tracey, I can't go anymore because of the triggering, I'm super duper chemical sensitive now. You will have to post your photos after you go in this section!!! I hope Corey Mac gets a ride this year! The pits are so fun getting your photos with the drivers, and picking up pistons, spark plugs etc. Smiley I love that about NHRA. OUr laundry room is littered with photos of us and the racers! I've got a great pic w/ John Force, of course he's still talking while the photo was taken but it was to us! Hilarious! Deb I'm in Arizona! Oh this will crack you NhRA fans up, so we really don't have serious winter clothing here in Arizona, whats the point..... well our high was 32 and I'm grasping for warmer clothing to go out, I reach back into the closet for my warmest old jacket,,,,, John Force Racing six time world champ..... What is he on now like 15 or 16 Smiley I'm old!

IP Logged

jbean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #26 - 02/09/11 at 14:51:25

So we have this giant snowpile outside of my apartment complex, and this time, it is so big the kids have actually carved a full size igloo out of it.  After several weeks of snow, I  think the novelty has worn off, and most people are secretly using it as a porta-poo for their pets.

Meanwhile, the snowplow guys are having more fun riding their  machines than actually plowing,  and I no longer recognize my car in the lot, which seems to be encased in some sort of retro camoflague: a mixture of salt-encrusted white, against my "Pacific Blue" clearcoat and rust, surrounded by a cluster of fender-bergs in brown mush. 

Each morning is a new adventure, as I try not to be impaled by the 4 foot icicle hanging over my front door...(better not slam that puppy too hard!).  My neighbor is tossing out so much salt on the sidewalk, I'll probably find a herd of deer gathered there  in communal meditation tomorrow.

Such is life in Michigan, my winter WONDERland... as in WONDER why I've put up with this for so long!

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #27 - 02/09/11 at 15:19:17

Haaa Jill. Too funny!  Well, you could always south to Indiana. Oh wait, we are living in the Ice Age here. at 9 am tomorrow, it will be -6 below 0. That is going to be fun. Do you have all the ice, too? My driveway and yard are still an ice skating rink! Even better, every now and then, the sun comes out and somehow manages to melt something even though the temps don't rise. As a result, I now have a beautiful leak in my roof in my great room. The roofers came out today and my roof needs to be repaired from an ice dam, the attic is not filled with nearly the right amount of insulation, and we need to fix the interior leak damage. Cha ching -- just ring up several thousand dollars of repairs that need to be done instantly. Hmm... do you think I could just trade in several months of my meds? At about $800 a pop, I would only need 3 or 4 months worth. LOL.

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #28 - 02/10/11 at 03:55:42

Both of you just need to move a tiny bit further south.  We were lucky last Thursday... we got a burst of sunshine that melted 90% of the ice.  No more ice skating rinks... no more "camoulflage-encrusted" hulks of cars.  Although we do have deer, they're not coming out just to lick the salt Wink

Bring on the flowers!!!!  Cool

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #29 - 02/10/11 at 06:47:55

Well, if you go TOO far South you're going to get what I have right now.  We broke the records today and the temps are about 110o!   How's that for fun?!   I've taken to the wonderful fashion of wearing a wet t-shirt - and no it's not clingy!  I have a fan that I constantly drag behind me and my kids know that Killer look in my eyes if they even dare touch it!  We can fry eggs on the side walk and I could probably just put my pressure cooker with any meat in it out in the sun and cook that hunk of beef in record time too!   When I wash clothes, naturally, who needs a clothes dryer, when you live in one!  My clothes are dried STIFF in less than a hour!  And worst of it all, THERE'S NO THUNDERSTORMS IN SIGHT!  WAAAAAA! Cry  

CAN WE ALL TRADE SPOTS FOR A WHILE???!!    I JUST KNEW IT - there you guys were complaining of such a hot summer last year and I though, Uh Oh, I'm in for it!  So very often you guys will have a hot summer and we get fried alive and then when your winter is mild, ours is too.  I've just never seen it where you all get snowed in and we end up with a cold winter too!!  It seems like our winter is never cold - but then, I do live in the tropics, what can I expect otherwise?  A blizzard?   Well, it is a tempting thought!!! Cheesy

Keep Warm you all and keep SAFE!!

I'm trying to do this  Cool as best as I can! Tongue

Don´t forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print