Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Winter storm in the US Midwest (Read 14143 times)
DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Winter storm in the US Midwest
02/01/11 at 02:00:30

So, I live in Indiana and we are in the middle of a massive ice storm. Wave one passed through last night and now the ground, streets, etc. all look completely snow covered, but it is actually only ice. It is bizarre. Today wave 2 passes through and will continue all day today and tomorrow. Supposedly, it is going to be a very severe ice storm coming, making the one we just had look like baby stuff.

I am a bit worried because they are saying that Indianapolis (where I am) could lose power citywide for about a week. Northern Indiana will be getting a blizzard. After our ice, we will be getting snow and then single digit temperatures. So, I am definitely concerned as to what we will do if the power goes out. I have 2 dogs, one being a huge German Shepherd, and then I will have to locate a hotel that will take us and our dogs.

So, I guess I am going to pack a bag just in case filled with all my meds so that I don't forget them if we do have to move to a hotel for an extended time. Now, if we are having an ice storm,  how does one safely drive to a hotel? Good question. Hmmmm.....

Now Chicago is supposed to get 20+ inches of snow. Not sure which is worse: massive ice storm or blizzard?????

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

Tess
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Winter storm in the US Midwest
Reply #1 - 02/01/11 at 04:09:09

I would say that the ice is more dangerous as it can topple trees and electrical poles.  We had a storm in the N.E. in December 2008 and we had to leave home (after using a chain saw on trees to get out of our driveway) for 8 days as we had no heat or electricity.  We did find a hotel that took my husband and me and our dog and cat.  I hope we don't have that again.  We are getting about 8 inches of snow today, 1 to 3 tonight and 10 to 15 inches tomorrow - including ice.

IP Logged

Sandi
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 02/01/11 at 05:15:26

I'm so sorry Deb, scary scary stuff! Do you have a fireplace? Generator? I'm used to survival issues related to the desert, not blizzards! I did come from Illinois farm territory, so I'm used to keeping emergency supplies on hand for being snowed in. We would hang blankets in all the doorways to the warmest room and basically camp inside that room.  You can use your grill to heat up food,(outdoors)  the hotel would be the easier route, maybe you could come up with a smaller sounding descriptive name for your german shephard Smiley when you call ahead! If staying in and you don't have supplies, stock up on dry cereals, they can eat right out of the box, granola bars, instant oatmeal, and lots of water, soups that you don't need to add anything to. MRE's are totally handy and can come with a heating element. If you have a camping store nearby there are a lot of options there, crackers/peanut butter, typically if the power goes out, cook with the food in your fridge first then you work your way to the boxed/canned things. As far as all those recommendations, I've been stocking for our family, but I am up a creek as I can't eat pretty much any of it! But you've just got to think of what you can have. Be very sure of anything you use to heat the environment, making sure it does not give off harmful gas if you are staying in your home! You lose a ton of heat out of the top of your head so make sure the kiddos wear their hats indoors, ski wear will now be indoor fashion Smiley  Games and candles! If you have any "solar" outdoor lighting, leave it out in the daytime and bring it in at night for indoor lighting. So you probably don't want to hear how sick of the sun I am and I wish we would get some winter weather! I think I'm visualizing Deb headbutting me! Smiley

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #3 - 02/01/11 at 05:59:23

Great advice, Sandi! Thanks! We do have a gas grill outside, so maybe we could actually cook food. We have lived in our house 15 years and never turned on the gas log fireplace. I don't even know if it would be safe or where the key to turn it on is. (I just don't like fireplaces, so we never used it.) I can spend $250/night and take the family and dogs to a very nice hotel if I need to, but that is infuriating to spend that! The ice rain has started here, so we shall see....My husband is furiously charging all of our electonic items (phones, ebooks). LOL

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

redbird
Guru

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 02/01/11 at 08:49:25

Deb I suspect that you are going to get our storm...we did not have much ice where I live in south Oklahoma but they did more to the north...if you are going to go the hotel route..you might get in your reservation as lots of others will as well..and I think there are several hotel chains that will take animals and some have special rooms for them...hold on however...my friend in Utah says more coming Sunday..good luck ...
redbird

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #5 - 02/01/11 at 09:09:51

Oh, yes, I did hear something about another storm Sunday. I can't even contemplate. I am so sick of winter! I am going to Disney World (Florida) in March, and I cannot wait to get to Florida!

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #6 - 02/01/11 at 09:41:42

We're getting hit pretty hard in southern Indiana... you know it's bad when the university shuts down and they call out the national guard.  I don't think we're going to be returning to work/school anytime soon.  Thankfully, we have a working fireplace and some firewood Sad  Maybe we'll get lucky and the power will stay on.

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #7 - 02/01/11 at 12:04:18

Ah no!  I can't stand it!   Here you guys were talking about all the heat you had last summer and how bad it was and how much you guys couldn't wait for winter and get out of the heat!!   I listened patiently and thought, oh, well when their summer goes, MINE COMES!!!

Now, I'm in the grips of 100o heat and it's triggering me left and right and it was what you guys couldn't wait to get rid of and yet you all get only about 3 months of real heat whereas here I am and I get 6 months of the stuff!    You all sent your heat down to me and now I get to have all the fun with it wishing that I could have a bit of snow instead!!!  

And Now I have to listen to you all griping about the snow and the cold and the mush and here I am sweating it out and fainting all over the place due to how hot it is!!

AAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!   Shocked

WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST UP AND MOVE TO HAWAII?????!!!!    Cool

I think it would be the perfect marriage of a nice mix of the heat and the cold coming to an ideal medium temperature!!

CAN WE HUH?!  

HAVE I ANY TAKERS???? Smiley

Donīt forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #8 - 02/01/11 at 12:14:44

We're crazy weather nuts and love to look at forecasts, weather maps, etc.  If you haven't already looked there, www.noaa.gov has the most reliable forecasts.  It looks like Indianapolis will get .4-.6" of ice and then a total of 1-2" of snow tonight and tomorrow.  Probably the worst danger will be if the ice brings down power lines.  They've known this is coming, so hoping that they're salting the streets already.

We had a gas fireplace in our old house, and it put out a lot of heat, but you should take a flashlight and look up the flu before you use it to make sure it's unobstructed.  Great place for the kids to roast marshmallows!  Also, if you have a gas oven, it will put out a lot of heat, too, and will work without power.  It might need to be lit with a match (burners too).

With the kind of temperatures you'll be having, any food in the fridge will stay fresh outside if the electricity goes off.  We've used our garage before to keep it safe from predators if the temp was low enough.  Portable phones on land lines don't work without power, but cell phones can be re-charged in a car if you have a car charger.

Smart to plan ahead and pack the medicines, just in case!  Hope most of this storm is less than expected!  

We had an inch of snow or so,but it's bitter cold.  Tonight wind chill of 22-32 below zero!!   Shocked

Joan

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #9 - 02/01/11 at 12:38:41

Wow, that is COLD, Joan! Yikes! Thy are reporting that we already have 2 inches of ice and are expecting up to an inch more. If the power goes out tonight, we are pretty much stuck here because it is too dangerous to drive now. If I lose power tomorrow, and it is safer to drive, we could drive to my inlaws' house (if they have power) because they are in Arizona. I doubt it would be any safer to drive then, though.

We'll just all hope that my power lines stay on! If they go out overnight, I'll know because my security system will start beeping to tell me....

I'll keep you all posted! Starflower is south of me and I expect experiencing her own weather problems!

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #10 - 02/01/11 at 13:32:35

So far, we still have power Smiley  The real test will be tomorrow when the wind kicks up.  Ice-covered trees are not very flexible.  The lights have blinked a couple of times... I'm keeping my fingers crossed.  I put out my evening medications so I can take them easily even if it's dark.  If we don't have heat tomorrow I think we'll head over to my office at the university.

The best news is that my husband made it home from work!  I thought he was either going to spend the evening under his desk or in the ditch.

Heather

I wonder how Mike V. is doing... Missouri was getting hit pretty hard earlier today.

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #11 - 02/01/11 at 14:41:51

Can't wait until Saturday's highs of 43-50!!  Yea! Roll Eyes

Joan

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #12 - 02/01/11 at 15:05:22

Sorry to hear that it's so bad for you all!!!  I know how dangerous that ice can get.  I grew up in Virginia where we had more ice than snow when I was a kid!!   There's NO DRIVING on ice, so please rethink the idea of travelling anywhere!!!   It's still best to stay at home with tons of layers and everybody sleeping on mattresses in front of the fireplace or in sleeping bags everybody in the same bedroom.  I remember doing something similar in Pittsburgh when we had about 25 below and the heater in the house just couldn't crank it out!  The pipes froze inside the house and the police gave a mandatory shut down of the city to prevent problems due to the cold.  Only emergency related workers were allowed out!  So, I really do understand the situation there and how dangerous it is!  But it's far better to try to brave out the cold inside your home, even without electricity than to find yourself in trouble in the middle of the highway somewhere!   Your chances are better in your homes.  

So please, you all, be careful and be prudent!!!

I'M SENDING YOU THE HEAT AS QUICKLY AS I CAN!  I DON'T WANT IT ANYMORE!!!

Donīt forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #13 - 02/02/11 at 00:24:51

Haa Lisa! I am taking you up on your offer! Hawaii, here I come! Oh wait, that meana I will need an ice pick to chisel myself out first. LOL

So the winds are blowing like mad at there; they have been all night. Sounds pretty creepy. They opened up the school across the street from my neighborhood as a shelter. Funny that the shelter is providing only a place with heat and people must bring anything and everything. It's funny because my little city (right next to Indy) is listed as one of the wealthiest in the nation (not that everyone is wealthy here), so I am wondering why the mayor cant manage to send basic supplies to the shelters. LOL. Hopefully the power stays on so that no one will need a shelter.

Our county and many in central and northern Indiana are under a travel restriction now where no one is allowed out on the road due to the dangerous road conditions. Today will be a worrisome
day as we all wait to see if the winds and frozen power lines and trees will behave.  Keep your fingers crossed for us!
« Last Edit: 02/02/11 at 04:02:29 by DeborahW, Founder »  

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

mikev
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
st louis, mo
Reply #14 - 02/02/11 at 03:07:13

Heather/Deb:
We we got sort of lucky. 3" of sleet then 2" of snow, but over in Columbia, Mo they got 16". But the sleet was heavy and my driveway is a 45 degree angle. so spent lots of energy getting it off yesterday and paid the price last night & today. When I overdue it, it feels like I've been runover by a truck, then skin sensitivity increases. The problem is now going for walks with my buddy which is good for both of us are off for a while. Deb may be coming over to Indy in May. Since can't play tennis, my friend & I have got into old car shows. And they are having a big one at the fairgrounds in mid may a couple weeks before the car race, so maybe we'll get a chance to meet. Just remember I'm no Brad Pitt. Heather is from Indiana as well but don't know how close to Indy. Anyway back at work today.
Mike V
PS: Ramona hope you are doing better than last couple of days.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print