Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Xyzal (Read 7027 times)
sandyb
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Xyzal
01/31/11 at 14:39:21

Is anyone taking Xyzal? I have UP and my dermatologist suggested I replace my zyrtec with it at night. I also take 300 mg. Zantac daily and 200 mg of gastrocrom 4 times a day? She said it is new. Thoughts anyone?

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Re: Xyzal
Reply #1 - 01/31/11 at 15:04:59

Zyrtec is actually two mirror-image molecules... one of them is effective, one is not.  Xyzal is exactly the same is Zyrtec, but they eliminated the molecules that are not effective, so... you only need half the dose (5mg instead of 10mg).  Apparently, a few people who are very sensitive to medications can take Xyzal when they can't take Zyrtec.  For most people, however, it's not worth the added cost.  Generic Zyrtec (cetirizine) is available OTC and very cheap... Xyzal is by Rx only and not cheap.  If the Zyrtec is working for you, why switch??

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

sandyb
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 02/01/11 at 00:56:59

I think she gave it to me because she didn't know what else to do for the spots that have done wild. I have been in email contact with Dr. Castells(have never seen her)who was the one that suggested I try gastrocrom last spring which has helped and gave my doc the prescribing info. I emailed her to see what her suggestion is. To be continued.....

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #3 - 02/01/11 at 02:10:29

Instead of switching to Xyzal, I would try alternating H1s.  For example... I take 20mg of Claritin in the morning and 20mg of Zyrtec at night.  Deb takes Allegra and Zyrtec... I think Ramona is taking Vistaril (Atarax) and Zyrtec.  There's also doxepin (Rx), Chlor-Trimeton (OTC), and a few others.

How much H1 have you been taking per day?  Have you ever tried the "magic lotion" recommended by mastokids?  

http://www.mastokids.org/mml.php

Heather

BTW... if the only idea your dermatologist could come up with is some free samples of Xyzal... I don't think s/he is going to be much use.

(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

mikev
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
st louis, mo
Reply #4 - 02/01/11 at 03:34:56

sandy:
my doc when i asked him about zyzal, said it was no better than zyrtec & prescription so expensive.
Heather I don't know how you can take so many H1's in on 10mg zyrtec and when I up it to 2 or try adding claratin I dry up real bad. I guess just the difference in people plus maybe being older has something to do with it. I've always wanted to ask you about my symptoms. My skin pain usually stays low in morning then starts to increase in the afternoon. I take my zrytec before I go to bed around 10. Do you think adding a claratin say around noon would help if I could tolerate it. By the way stayed w/ zyflo. Will change next year when singulair becomes generic.
Thanks
Mike V

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #5 - 02/01/11 at 03:56:20

Hi Mike,

Last summer our air conditioner was down for several weeks and I was having a hard time in the heat, so I increased my H1s to 20mg of Claritin in the morning and 20mg of Zyrtec at night.  I had never done that before, but it really helped.  Around October I noticed that I was getting too dried out, so I dropped back to 10mg/10mg.  

A couple weeks ago I had that bad experiment with turmeric.  It's also starting to warm up and some of the trees are budding... and I noticed that I was having problems with dizziness again, mostly from standing up while giving lectures and having conversations with my colleagues.  (I took a couple doses of liquid Benadryl).  So... a few days ago I went back up to 20mg/20mg.  Now I'm feeling very stable Smiley  I'm sure not everyone could stand this dose, but for me the side effects (dryness) are very minimal.  I also started taking my nighttime medications around 8:00 instead of 10 or 11... another good move!  Like you, I also feel best in the morning and go downhill from there.  Not too far downhill these days!!  Zyrtec and Claritin are both twelve-hour medications, so trying one Claritin in late morning along with your one Zyrtec at night makes sense... I think you should be able to tell in just a few days if it's working.

Heather

(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #6 - 02/08/11 at 06:29:45

I just started xyzal 4 days ago. My derm wanted me to stop zyrtec and try xyzal. I heard its supposed to be better but I'm not so convinced in fact I have had way more itching the past few days. Not sure if its the xyzal or because I switched over to the store brand of ranitidine.
Melissa

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print