Send Topic Print
Hydrocortisone (Read 2042 times)
Buster
Tutor

I Love This Forum!
San Francisco Bay Area
Hydrocortisone
01/30/11 at 06:45:14

I am curious as to why hydrocortisone in sub-physiologic doses is not used more often to treat mast cell diseases.

Hydrocortisone is a mast cell stabilizer.

Hydrocortisone taken orally has a local effect on the gastointestinal tract (well, at least the stomach).

Hydrocortisone does not suppress the adrenal glands when taken at sub-physiologic levels.

Hydrocortisone is also much cheaper than the other mast cell stabilizers - cromolyn sodium (Gastrocrom), and ketotifen (Zaditen) - especially for those who have no drug insurance coverage.

I have found that taking a low dose of hydrocortisone allows me to take some medications that I would not be able to tolerate otherwise.  Low-dose hydrocortisone also increases my tolerance to some foods, which helps me expand my limited diet.  It has also reduced the stomach discomfort and pain I experience.  (I have gastritis.)

One problem with hydrocortisone is its short half-life.  I take it 6 times a day (every 3 hours) in a 3-3-2-2-1-1 ratio to mimic the natural rise and fall of cortisol throughout the day.

Has anyone here tried low-dose hydrocortisone?  

If so, can you describe your experience with taking it?

Buster
« Last Edit: 01/30/11 at 10:52:28 by Buster »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print