Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Welcome to our forum.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My SSI SSD Experience, and tips (Read 12016 times)
Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
My SSI SSD Experience, and tips
01/28/11 at 06:54:23

I wasnt given a choice to retire. I didnt have health insurance and they cut me off the work schedule once I couldnt hide being sick anymore--so I was forcefully retired. It does have as good ending though.

IF your work is affected enough by you being ill, thats the time to file for disability. You do NOT have to be off work to file for it--You DO have to show how the illness affects your ability to work and your health.

If I have one word for you it is to DOCUMENT everything about your illness. It holds up very well when the time comes that you need to file.

I stopped working Sept 1st 2010, I filed the next month for Disability. It was granted Dec 2010 ! LESS than 4 months,and NO I didnt use or need a lawyer. There is a "blue list" for SSI.. and Mastoctosis is on that list--those are usually illnesses that are approved automatically as long as you can prove you have it.

They are sending the back amount from the day I was approved and told me it will be here in less than 2 weeks. They are starting my monthly checks March 1st and told me the amount I will get. I ill stay on Medicaid for all health coverage--no -copay, it will cover 100% of everything because I have no other resources.

You do NOT need a lawyer. I have the name of a good one that specializes in Masto cases, never lost a case..and I'll give it to you if for some reason you arent approved the first time--but you wont need it IF you do your paperwork the right way.

Contact SS office and just ask them to send you a list of benefits you qualify for at this moment--if you retired for some reason--this is based on your work--how much you made, ho long you worked and only the last 10 years count. You get "credits" for each quarter of work that you worked and to get SSD you need to have earned at least 22 credits within the 10 last years. If you didnt you would still qualify for SSI.

Again, THE MOST IMPORTANT word I can say to you is "DOCUMENT" everything--it looks great in front of a judge. Make SURE you say the word Mastocytosis or MCAD every time you go to an ER or medical visit--when SS looks into your past medical records to determine when your disability began, THIS may very well determine it--it did for me!!

I'll post some more tips soon,
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

nikweth
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: My SSI SSD Experience, and tips
Reply #1 - 01/28/11 at 14:23:04

I'm glad to hear you won your case in such a short time period. Most people have to deal with denials and limited resources for the while waiting for an answer. Do you have full blown Masto or MCAD?

IP Logged

chaco
Tutor

Reply #2 - 01/28/11 at 16:49:05

Congrats!  Am glad it went so smoothly for you.  

Deb Mc

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #3 - 01/29/11 at 03:56:53

Thanks to both of you Smiley

I have UP (Urticaria Pigmentosa), a rash for over 20 years with NO symptoms. In 2006 I started feeling ill...Once I became ill, it was pretty quick for me to get to the point where I couldnt work.  I have SM with other things too; Here is the list I made for myself, I copied it and handed it to every doctor I saw so it became part of my medical records. DO THIS! It looks much more involved than it is... but this is VERY important for your records and getting Disability. Here is the list I have;

DIAGNOSIS
Mastocytosis, systemic
Urticaria Pigmentosa with keloid scar effect and hyper-melitonin
Angioedema
Idiopathic Anaphylaxis with hypertensive variant
Vasoplagia
Gerd, Acid Reflux, Nausea, Vomiting
Diarrhea with Dumping syndrome
Tachycardia, PVCs, arrhythmia, angina
severe bone pain level 4-5, sciatica with numbness
chronic bursitis both hips
Hypertension
R knee ACL degenerative disc
Intercystial Cystitis-Chronic UTIs (bladder spasms-chronic/painful)
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome
Diabetes type 2 IDDM (insulin dependant)
Diabetic neuropathy
nerve damage right thigh from scorpion sting
right elbow bone fragments, osteo arthritis/arthralgia
erythema with shock and heparin dump
Lymphocytosis R jaw

You dont have to be suffering from a specific symptom at that moment to "have it" as a diagnosis-- if it will re-occur, understand?? So update your diagnosis list frequently.

Hope this helps!
Ramona

IP Logged

Jaxx
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 02/04/11 at 14:19:10

What is the relationship between keloid scar formation and masto conditions?  i've had reconstructive surgery for several massive keloids, and I always thought it should be related -- but i haven't able to find anything except advertisements for plastic surgeons.

IP Logged

nikweth
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 02/05/11 at 06:09:59

On disability, do you receive insurance such as medicare/medicaid? I'm just wondering how one affords the costs of the prescriptions.

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #6 - 02/06/11 at 07:24:15

Hi Jaxx!  The keloid tissue comes from the mast cells again--they are part of the healing process, so you get hurt, they rush to heal it.. but because they behave abnormally, they OVER heal it and you get that thicj rissue--often times it ill even feel dry on top like  small rock,, drives me loony LOL.. and often you ill get hyper pigmentation/melatonin on that same spot--in other words, it looks light brown over that site, almost dirty. Its just the sign of over active mast cells having a party and wont stop LOL...

Hey Nik!!
Im VERY lucky, I was just approved for SSI and they gave me Medicaid along with it and food stamps too.. so soon I will be doing much better Smiley  Before that was decided, I learned VERY quickly (with zero income) that most counties have medically needy programs and it isnt that hard to apply for those, do it! There are also programs from drug companies for people who cant afford their meds.. some pharmaceuticals actually have a heart Smiley I was getting my insulin directly from the company that makes it. Also almost all hospitals have charity care type programs--ask them about it--apply for them!!

Hon, I was embarrassed too at first.. but I got too sick and tired of living without the meds I needed to live, to care about being embarrassed. Most of these people were so wonderful, compassionate and helped me through all paperwork very quickly and easily.

Thankfully most masto meds are OTC now--Over the counter.. so I bought generic meds at the dollar general store and my family paid for them... I am only now getting the actual meds I needed all along... Be patient Hon... have some faith, it WILL work out.. and ask us anything you need to know. Between us, we'll figure it out for you!
Hug and more
Ramona

IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #7 - 02/07/11 at 05:35:53

Thanks for that keloid description. I scar very easily and they are big and ugly and sometimes painful to touch.
Melissa

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print