Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Visit YaBB today Wink
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Re: I'll be the first. (Read 3883 times)
Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Re: I'll be the first.
01/26/11 at 08:02:44

Hi Angela,

I'm really sorry you're going through such a hard time.  I think you don't know enough about lupus to be wanting it over masto, Angela, for of the two, this is the kinder disease to have.

Angela, it's really hard to tell you what to do other than to up your doses of allegra or another antihistamine because of the problem of needing prescriptions if I could I'd suggest that you take some atarax/hixizine at night time, since it's an antihistamine that passes the blood brain barrier and thus is more effective than some other meds.  Otherwise, I suggest that you get some zantac and zyrtec and start taking 300mg of zantack at AM and PM and 10mg of zyrtec at AM and right before you go to bed at night so as to help get you through the nights better.  This may be adequate to settle down some of this constant reacting you're doing.  

But here's the problem, Angela,  upping your antihistamines will help you, but without all of the proper testing you need to have done, it's hard to say exactly what is the best treatment.  You could be working with some angioedema and depending upon the mechanisms behind it, some meds are more effective than others.   So, this is why sometimes the treatment is not so effective.  

But until next week, since you are going through such torture, trust me, take my suggestions of those medicine and use them.  Antihistamines have a 12 hour duration and usually their most potent amount of efficacy is within 8 hours.  If it ends up that increasing your meds by adding the ranitidine/zantac and zyrtec disturbs your system, then just don't take any more!  it's not going to be any worse on you than you already are, especially if you're that close to hospitalization.  And I would say that i'm sure that you will find that it's just what you needed to cut some of this reacting you're going through!

I hope it helps!   Kiss

Lisa

Donīt forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Re: I'll be the first.
Reply #1 - 01/26/11 at 08:33:28

Lisa wrote on 01/26/11 at 08:02:44:
I think you don't know enough about lupus to be wanting it over masto, Angela, for of the two, this is the kinder disease to have.

I couldn't agree more... lupus is more common (and other people might understand what you're going through a little better... but lupus is far more lethal that mastocytosis or MCAD.

Lisa's advice is spot on.  Taking a solid dose of antihistamines right before bed is a great idea.  Also... even if you're not allergic to any environmental triggers (mold, dust mites), they could be a trigger for you.  You might want to think about getting a new pillow, encasing your mattress in an allergen-free cover, etc...  Our natural level of histamine peaks at night, so you don't want anything to trigger you while you're sleeping!  And... since respiratory symptoms are such a problem for you... I would ask for a leukotriene blocker ASAP, even if you don't technically have asthma.

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print