Pages: 1 2 3 ... 19
Send Topic Print
My daughter's story (Read 91105 times)
DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
My daughter's story
01/23/11 at 13:05:39

(Archived post from original forum - author kgruba)

I am new to this forum and can only hope that I am setting this up in the correct category.  I also posted it under the category of Parents of Mast Cell Disorder Children in hopes of getting more activity in that category as my personaI research has led me to believe there is not enough communication and information on the sites for children.  And this site has given me "boundless" information regarding MCAD and I can only hope that my post will somehow draw other parents to this site so they can better educate themselves  and get the support of others as this site has done for me.  I have been utilizing this Forum for about a week now and have learned more from this Forum than I have in my 4 months of researching MCAD on the Internet.  I am in search of answers for my 8 year old daughter and until I found this site I was feeling really hopeless as I kept hitting brick walls.  There are MANY strong, supportive, helpful and knowledgable people here!  Words can't express the gratitude I have for the couple of people who have helped me thus far.  They are dealing with their own disease process and symptoms and yet they have taken a lot of time to respond to my emails, give me encouragement, support, advice and even went above and beyond to help me connect with the right doctors that can maybe help us get answers for my daughters symptoms.  My daughter is 8 years old and although her doctors and myself wrote off the causes of her early symptoms as "unknown" , "viral", etc. I am now putting the pieces of the puzzle together.  She has had problems from some sort of disease process since birth.  These symptoms were pretty significant from birth to a few years of age. They then seemed to "simmer" for a couple of years... only to show their ugly head full force about 2 1/2 years ago.  It has progressed significantly since then.  She now has a total of 10 doctors treating all of the different body / system areas that are involved.  Talk about frustrating!  How do they piece anything together when out medical system is so fragmented?  Although Brieann's current diagnosis is Chronic Urticaria and a very rare diagnosis of Neutrophilic Eccrine Hydradenitis (which involves ONLY the fingers and palms of her hands on 7 different occassions). We do not yet have a Unifying diagnosis that will tie ALL of her symptoms together.  I have spent hundreds upon hundreds of hours researching her symptoms and it was not until June 2010 that I stumbled across MCAD.  I about fell out of my chair as this was the first time I found a disease process that fit everything she goes through.  I later found this forum and again was amazed at reading all of the different personal stories as each time I read them I felt that they were personally describing my daughters symptoms.  I know this entry is becoming very lengthy but I wanted to get Brie's story out there in hopes that there are some parents, family or loved ones of a child that  can relate to this story and either be helped by this information, share their experience or give some advise to how I can best help my daughter.  The following is a shortened outline (although still very long) as to what my daughter has experienced: *** Since birth Brie has had abdominal distention; abrupt stomach pains; nausea; vomiting; bloating; lack of or loss of appetite; diarrhea; and intestinal cramping and she is extremely gassy. This can even awaken her from sleep. Many of her stomach aches are so severe that I consider taking her to ER to be assessed for a ruptured appendix. This had gotten to the point that for 1 1/2 years they would occur DAILY and up to 15 times a day. This cycle was not broken until after adding a steroid to her medication regime.
*** Since 6 weeks of age Brie has experienced "flare and wheal" type hives. These later developed into more severe hives. She also began to develop several other types of rashes and outbreaks (Petechia that would bleed and then change into large hives and then repeat the same process over and over for 2 months; also flushed face / cheeks; Neutrophilic Eccrine Hidradenitis nodules to only the fingers and palms of the hands; different types of rashes; skin and scalp itching with nothing visibly present, etc.). Once week after being hospitalized for Metabolic Acidosis (of unknown cause) Brie began to break out with different dermatological outbreaks EVERY DAYfor 6 straight months. We were unable to break this cycle until she was started on a steroid for her GI concerns. She has been diagnosed with Chronic Urticaria. I also find it interesting that many times Brie will often experience the "Darier Sign."
*** Brie has experienced chronic headaches over the last 2 1/2 years. Some of these are so severe in that she flails around on the floor screaming and crying from the pain. (but most are much less severe).
*** She has bouts of "dizziness" and light headedness
*** She had problems with anemia as a small child and then again over the last year.
*** Brie went through a period of time with night time sweats and night time fevers which would resolve spontaneously by morning (these have been within the last 2 1/2 years but are not current)
*** Brie experiences episodes of a croupy / barky cough that resolves spontaneously and yet she does not have an URI or any other infection at the time.
*** She has medically documented episodes of acute hypoxia, night time hypoxia, lethargy and confusion
*** She has had problems with possible sleep apnea - although she has had a T&A and x-rays are negative for any physical blockage
*** Beginning in 9/09 she began complaining several times of "her heart hurting and that it feels like it is jumping out of her chest" along with tachycardia. On 10/23/09 she was diagnosed with a heart murmur that the Dr's feel is benign (she has not had a cardiac work up for this). She has medical documentation of tachycardia and night time tachycardia.
*** Brie has developed over the last 2 years episodes of urinary frequency, urgency and sporadic day and night time wetting. All UA's have been negative. She has had WBC's in her urine at times and yet there are not other signs of infection.
*** Brie gets white sores on her gums and this is at times accompanied by a white exudate.
*** Brie has always shown some concerns regarding academic achievement. But as of the later part of the last school year and now this school year these concerns have become of great concern.
*** Although I could not find any correlation between NEH and MCAD none of Brie's doctors can not explain why she has had 7 episodes of NEH that has been strictly localized to her palms and fingers. The NEH was confirmed by 2 separate biopsies and the biopsies also show Granulomatous infiltrate with histiocytes, lymphocytes and neutrophils.
*** She was hospitalized with acute hypoxia and respiratory distress with no definitive diagnosis
(? pneumonia although she was not ill before this very sudden acute onset)
*** She was hospitalized for acute Metabolic Acidosis and dehydration (in which no cause was found) and this occurred 3 days after she was "overhydrated" per results of a UA and no changes had been made to her fluid intake.
*** Although I am told that her steroid (Entocort) is 60% absorbed in the colon and "has little to no affect systemically" it has proven to significantly reduce ALL of her systemic symptoms and once again none of her doctors are able to explain this to me.
*** Since birth Brie has always been of a short stature. This has always been a concern of mine due to her GI problems and anemia I have always questioned absorption problems. She is 8 years old and most 5 and 6 year olds are bigger than she is. She can wear the same clothes for 3 years in a row!
*** Brie complained of pain in her feet for 1 1/2 years but most recently she complains of her bones or joints hurting anywhere in her body.
*** Brie has reoccurring episodes of extreme tiredness. During these periods she can nap for 2-4 hours a day and still be tired at bedtime. She will sleep (9 - 12 hours a night) throughout the night and then awaken tired in the morning. She often even reports that she was tired or fell asleep in class.
*** Brie has had Anesthesia on 2 occasions and both times appears to have reacted to this.
*** In the last few months when she receives a minor scratch to her skin she develops a thick type scar.
*** Brie's symptoms decrease significantly when placed on a medication regime of Antihistamines, Stomach Medicine and Steroids.
Throughout Brieann's last few years of medical care I find that the following findings may be significant:
Lymphoid Hyperplagia of the colon; mild chronic inflammation of the colon and stomach; Active gastritis and mild chronic gastritis; Platelets, C-Reactive Protein, Esenophils, Leukocytes and Lymphocytes have all at times been elevated; WBC's in the urine and elevated serum WBC's and yet no other signs of infection; slightly reduced red cell volume and slightly elevated red cell distribution; markedly reduced Ferritin level; increased urine osmolarity and trace urine hemoglobin; positive biopsies for NEH
The following is a list of things that she has been negative for or have so far been medically ruled out:
Negative ANA; IGM and IGG; H-Pylori; Chronic Strep; UTI's; Diabetes; Negative urine and blood cultures; DFA's for the flu; Celiac Disease; Systemic and Cutaneous Vasculitis; Normal Pyrufic Acid; Chrohn's Disease; Negative abdominal and Pelvic Ultrasounds; Negative Upper GI with Barium; Negative for Immune response to milk protein, casein and whey; Negative for Autoimmune Disease (per skin biopsy); Hydronephrosis; Ulcerative Colitis; Irritable Bowel Disease; allergy to milk, soy and wheat; negative labs for Mastocytosis; No evidence (per labs) of pancreatic, liver or kidney disease; Whipples Disease; Giardia; Peripheral blood smear is essentially normal with "an occasional reactive appearing lymphocyte present"
                                                                              Brieaann's concerned Mom / Kim

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Re: My daughter's story
Reply #1 - 01/23/11 at 13:12:46

Reply from starflower

You guys have really been through the wringer!!!  I'm so sorry that you had to experience this.  I have two kids... I'm certainly grateful that I'm the one dealing with MCAD and not them.

I do think the different types of MCAD are definitely worth exploring.  A normal tryptase does not rule any of them out.  Send me a private message and I'll send you a new article that's coming out about mast cell activation disorders... it should be very helpful to you and your daughter's doctors.

Two other things that caught my attention... the petechiae and the minor scratches that turn into major scars.  Those symptoms can occur with Ehler's-Danlos syndrome, a genetic disorder of the connective tissue (skin and collagen).  Is anyone in your family very flexible?  People can carry the genes for E-D without having any major health problems themselves.  

By the way... in a normal person, the only thing the intestines should be releasing into the rest of the body is fully-digested nutrients.  Not all of us are normal Wink  As an infant my son was horribly intolerant to cow's milk.  It would make him bleed from his intestines.  But here's the funny thing... he was 100% breastfed.  The casein was leaking out of my intestines and making its way into my own milk.  That's not "supposed" to happen (at the time, like your daughter, I was having a LOT of abdominal pain and bloating for no apparent reason).  Within two weeks after I took cow's milk out of my diet my son was totally back to normal.  So... the steroids that are supposed to stay in your daughter's intestines are leaking out into the rest of her body.  The good thing about that is that it gives you another clue... your daughter's immune system is hyperactive.  The reason steroids are given for such a wide variety of autoimmune disorders that they work by suppressing your immune system, regardless of what exactly is going wrong.

I'm sure this whole thing has been exhausting for your family!  You've been such a good mom to keep fighting for answers, but I know what a RELIEF it will be when you finally get them.

Heather

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #2 - 01/23/11 at 13:14:02

Reply from kgruba

Heather;  Thank you for taking the time to read the "novel" that I posted regarding my daughter and for offering your input.  I am trying to absorb everything I can about MCAD as I truly believe that once we find a unifying diagnosis it will some how fall under the big umbrella of MCAD.  The minor scratches that have scarred is just a recent issue for her over the last few months.. she never had this before.  After I type this response I am going to look into Ehler's-Danlos syndrome.  Your explanation of how the steroid could be affecting my daughter so much systemically makes total sense!  Thank you for that explanation.  Most of you on here should have your PHD as you know more than most of the Dr.'s out there on body Chemistry Smiley                     Kim

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #3 - 01/23/11 at 13:15:10

Reply from riverwn2

Hi Kim!!
Youve gotten some great advice from Heather and shes much more knowledgable than I on much of this, especially as it relates to children. I just want to welcome you here, give you and your daughter a HUGE hug and tell you we do care!!  Its hard to believe she tested negative to any auto immune disease with all those symptoms. Have you seen an expert in mast cell diseases to rule it out? I agree with Heather 100%. If shes doing better on prednisone, thats a huge clue that there IS something , a disorder of the immune system. I would try to email a Mast cell expert Dr and see if you can get her in for a consult. She is sooo lucky to have a Mom like you.. I know your heart hurts when your baby is the one suffering---please let us know what happens and know we DO care.
Hugs to both of you!!!
Ramona

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #4 - 01/23/11 at 13:16:51

Reply from kgruba

Ramona;
    Thank you for your encouraging and supportive response.  This forum has helped me tremendously with not feeling so alone and it also has helped me to understand the disease process and treatment so much better. I was suprised that she tested negative for auto immune also as that was my first guess as to what was going on as we have ALOT of auto immune in the family.  We have not seen an expert in MCAD yet.  Her Pediatric Diagnostician at Mayo talked to Dr. Butterfield about her case and they ordered a tryptase and 24 hour urine, etc. These all can back within normal limits so I think Dr. Butterfield then "shut the door" about this being a possible diagnosis.  Just this last week, with help and encouragement from members of this forum, an email of her situation was sent to both NIH and Dr. Akin in Boston.  I haven't heard back from either of them yet... but it hasn't been long and I know they are very busy. I will let you all know when I hear something.       Kim

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #5 - 01/23/11 at 13:17:21

Reply from sandi
Kim,
My heart breaks for you, it's so hard to have disease yourself but when your child is ill, it gets no worse! Good for you for doing so much research! Can you list the current medications Brie is on, are they treating at all with antihistimines? H1 or H2 blockers?On a continuous basis? I did see the steriods, is that continuous? Or  just to alleviate some of the symptoms periodically?  That could be an issue if they are not continuously treating. She's getting better (calming the storm inside with the meds, then they take her off, and she flares and then start the cycle again? ) If so thats not what you do with a mast cell disorder ! I'm sure you've run across the eosinophillic disorders but if you haven't look into those also. Hypereosinophillia, Hypereosinophillic syndrome, Eosinophillic Esophogatis, Gastritis etc ( all spelled wrong I'm sure!)  Again they are as rare as the MCAD disorders so it is frustrating to #1 find information and #2 find doctors that correctly treat the disorders. I don't know where you are, Ishe has so many symptoms, Dr Castells / Akin are probably your best bet. If the gastrointestinal tract is unhappy it will make the skin unhappy etc. Poor lil thing, there is a doctor I found quite educated in gastrointestinal issues along with eosinophillic disorders along with Mast Cell disorders named Dr Philip Miner Jr, he is in Oklahoma. He may be worth a serious consult. Have they ever considered entral feeding for your daughter, there is a hypoallergenic brand, more so than others. I have considered going this route, there is a girl on Inspire.com that does this when her gastro issues are bad and they subside, she uses the special hypoallergenic stuff and Dr Miner is her Dr. If you search systemic mastocytosis she should pop up as 2inOklahoma. I may be contacting her myself for information on the entral feed. She also has eosinophillic disease along with Masto. Thats where I think I am, I have symptoms, in both arenas.
Keep it up, and hopefully soon you will find a way to quench this fire inside her and make what she is battling managable.
Sandi

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #6 - 01/23/11 at 13:20:24

Reply from kgruba

Sandi;
Here is a list of Brie's meds.  We started the steroid in April 2010 it was about 2 weeks after starting this that we finally broke her cycle... We hadn't been able to do this for 2 years before the start of the steroid!  These meds really do help her sympotms tremendously (when she has the steroid with them).  But yet she continues to have one or more symptoms pretty much daily to some extent. I know a little about the long term affects of steroids and was getting concerned so the Dr. agreed to take her off it "and see how she does."  Needless to say she is not doing well at all.  I have gone to her bottle of steroids many times thinking I am going to restart them... but then I began researching again... and found this forum!  From what I learned from this forum she needs a H2 blocker and so I am going to purchase Zantac OTC and add that to her med regime. We live in Rapid City SD so we are far from any specialty Dr.'s and big name hospitals.  Last week an email was sent to both NIH and Dr. Akin asking them for their help in helping us find a diagnosis and proper treatment.  Haven't heard back yet... but it is early and I know they are very busy people.  If I strike out there I will have to go to the next Dr. on my growing list thanks to suggestions from all of you wonderful caring people.  
                                                                                                        Kim
Ferritin 45mg every morning
Xyzal 5mg take1/2 tab every morning
Prilosec 20mg every morning
Allegra 30mg twice a day
Pentasa 250mg take one tab 3 times a day
Atropine eye drop (1 drop) to the left eye every morning
Entocort EC 3mg take 1 tab twice a day (on hold as of 9/20/10)

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #7 - 01/23/11 at 13:21:30

Reply from sandi

Kim these thoughts are random, anyone please quickly comment if I'm out of line, the Xyzal is an antihistimine, but I don't know of anyone on here taking it? I'm not thrilled with the side effects for her age, but there are things we take with the risk because the symptoms are so horrible and hers would qualify, I'm just wondering if upping one more allegra and replacing the xyzal with another h1/h2? But it may be helping her skin issues. I haven't taken singulair, however many of the people on her with gastro symptoms have/do and have seen improvement gastrointestinally with it, these are people without asthma symptoms. My GP has discussed possibly trying it, he's now on board with a mast cell disorder and is and MD but also a homeopath/naturopath and feels singulair is very safe. Again, your daughter is very ill and has a lot of scattered issues going so these are just my evening random thoughts! Also the ferritin, check the inactive ingredients maybe there is something in there giving here some distress. I could also be wrong but it seems like a lot, is she constipated at all? She obviously may be on that much because I'm sure her diet is very limited. Another idea which I'm sure you are all ready on top of is are you using a tide free type of detergent? No dyes / scents etc?  I'm even allergic to dreft, I can't believe they put scent in it! On that subject my daughter got a horrible rash when I switched detergents once and stupidly it took me way too long to figure it out, doctors were sending photos to the university determatologists etc. Somehow I was becoming allergic to the world and didn't suspect this change? Ok, I'm late night rambling, I'm sure you've thought that one through with her skin problems. Same with lotions, soaps etc, preservatives, seed oils etc, strangely I'm currently getting away with Aveeno unscented right now, I'm very excited about that.  I'm a little worried about zantac and prilosec both, they do both reduce acid and if too much stomach  acid is reduced the opportunity for food allergy does increase. I think we have quite a few on here that do both though.  How is her food variety right now, have you ruled out any foods as not tolerable?  I'm curious at onset of her abdominal symptoms if dye free benadryl would make it subside.  If it did, that would give the doctors some more clues, however she's on such a cocktail I'm not sure I'd mix that in without talking to the specialists. You must be going crazy juggling them all, She needs one top doc overseeing it all, then the specialists as needed for issues and consult with the top doc. But until diagnosed, you are still juggling!
I've started posting some recipes and food ideas for the food challenged down at the bottom section of the forum under recipes. However if she is eating yummy tasting food, well she may want to launch teff up to the moon Smiley
Sandi

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #8 - 01/23/11 at 13:22:35

Reply from starflower

Xyzal is OK.  It's just the next generation of Zyrtec Smiley

Liquid Benadryl can be a pretty awesome rescue medication (to use once in a while, not every day). It's the first thing I turn to if I start feeling nauseated.  Once in a while someone has a bad reaction to it... Deb can't take it at all!... but it's worth a try at least one time.  The dose is based on weight.  My son (who has a peanut allergy) started at 12.5mL.  We were instructed to give him a dose if we even *think* he ate something with peanuts.  It's the first line of defense!

Good advice about looking for food and environmental triggers.

Heather

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #9 - 01/23/11 at 13:24:04

Reply from sandi

Yep Heather, the benadryl may be a good "test" if it alleviates the abdominal pain or nausea it may give the docs an idea. And on that subject she is already on allegra, but it did wonders for my gastro and the docs said that was impossible it only helps nasal issues..... sure Ok, I'm going to make that up because I love paying out the wazoo the generic version of an antihistimine! Smiley and on that subject Kim I only tolerate the Teva brand of allegra! So really check the inert ingredients in her medications also as possible suspect. I havent tried all versions of allegra but after a few I was done and back to teva!

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #10 - 01/23/11 at 13:24:47

Reply from kgruba

Hello Sandi;

Thanks for your message and thoughts on Brie's issues.   I noticed that nobody else that I have seen is on Xyzal and questioned this  myself... but a couple of other forum members said it works like Zyrtec.  Not sure if Zyrtec would work better if this really is  MCAD... but when she was put on Zyrtec in the past she had weeks of EXTREME scalp itching (but no rash).  I was checking her daily for head lice (and so was the school and daycare Smiley   The Docs thought I was crazy that the Zyrtec would be the cause as "nobody is allergic to Zyrtec"... but this had been the only new thing added to her life at that time.  The itching stopped about 9 days after stopping the Zyrtec  and switching to Xyzal.  But then a few months later she went through another episode of the scalp itching (but not quite as severe)... so not sure if it was from the Zyrtec after all.  Brie doesn't have a problem with constipation... just the diarrhea on occassion.  She was actually taking the Ferritin twice a day up until recently.  Her Ferritin level was down to 9 (should be 20 - 307).  We got her up to the 39 with the twice a day dose.  Now that we are down to once a day she runs in the upper 20's to low 30's. She keeps getting anemic and I think it has something to do with absorption as her low Ferritin, GI problems  and her very small stature have been a problem from day one. Most 5 and 6 year olds are bigger than her and she can wear the same clothes 3 years in a row (no exaggeration here)!  She eats well... with the exception of a two month period about a year ago when her stomach hurt so bad she couldn't eat more than 1 or 2 bites and she'd be curled in to a ball crying from the pain.  Diet and ingredients I don't think are a problem for her. She has been tested for many of the food allergies, gluten, casein, whey, etc. etc. etc. and all are negative.  I can't pin down any triggers as being anything that she ingests or wears (lotions, soaps, etc.).  So far I have seen her react to heat, cold, friction, stress / being upset and animals when she is up close to a cat or dog she will sometimes react and then the next time she  doesn't react to them.  There is truley no rhyme or reason to her skin outbreaks or internal symptoms thus far.   Thanks so much for your information on "I'm a little worried about zantac and prilosec both, they do both reduce acid and if too much stomach  acid is reduced the opportunity for food allergy does increase" ... I sure wouldn't want her to START developing food allergies because of a change I made with her meds.  I'll add this to my list of questions for the Docs too.  
                                                                                               Kim

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #11 - 01/23/11 at 13:27:17

Reply from kgruba

Hi Heather;
    Question for you on the liqued Benadryl... It can help with GI symptoms too?  I have read that a couple of people on here take the liqued form... does that work better than the pill form or is it just faster for the body to absorb?  I have given Brie the pill form several times when she has her SEVERE hive outbreaks but haven't tried it any other time or for her GI symptoms.  It is now on my list to pickup from the store Smiley

Kim

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #12 - 01/23/11 at 13:28:25

Reply from starflower

Hi Kim,

Although Benadryl is an H1 antihistamine, it does work on nausea... I wouldn't have believed it unless I experienced it myself.  It's not "supposed" to work that way.  The liquid version (sold in the children's section) is the quickest OTC way to get it into your system.  In the ER and for surgeries they give it to you intravenously.  I use the generic, dye-free kind (cheaper than brand-name and it works just as effectively).

The thing about "triggers" is that they're not true allergies.  They probably won't show up on any test.  For example... one time I gave myself "food poisoning" with a package of gluten-free macaroni and cheese plus a big cup of hot chocolate.  I'm not allergic to any of those things.  The problem was the heat from the hot chocolate plus the cheese (which has a lot of histamine)... any normal person could have eaten them and been just fine.  They weren't spoiled.  It wasn't until the nice doctor at urgent care prescribed me antihistamines that a light bulb went off in my head.  Doh!!    You might want to try the low-histamine diet:

http://www.urticaria.thunderworksinc.com/pages/lowhistamine.htm

A few weeks should be enough to tell you if it's making a difference.  I get relief just from avoiding the foods that are naturally high in histamine like seafood, tuna, aged cheese, and leftover meat.  Chocolate bothers me in large quantities, but I can eat the rest of the "histamine-releasing" foods (eggplant, tomato, olives, strawberries, etc...).  Some people with chronic urticaria are sensitive to salicylates instead, so if the low-histamine diet doesn't seem to make a difference you might want to give that a trial run.

Heather

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #13 - 01/23/11 at 13:29:24

Reply from lisathuler

Benedryl worked on the nausea because the nausea is due to the histamines being released from the mast cells, deal with the histamine overload and you deal with the nausea.  It's that simple!

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #14 - 01/23/11 at 13:46:36

Reply from starflower

Right, but there are four different kinds of histamine (H1, H2, H3, H4).  The histamine in your GI system is primarily H2... which is why you wouldn't think an H1 antihistamine would work!  I could be wrong, but I can't imagine a doctor prescribing Benadryl for nausea.  Here's what the NIH says about it:

Diphenhydramine is used to relieve red, irritated, itchy, watery eyes; sneezing; and runny nose caused by hay fever, allergies, or the common cold. Diphenhydramine is also used to relieve cough caused by minor throat or airway irritation. Diphenhydramine is also used to prevent and treat motion sickness, and to treat insomnia (difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep). Diphenhydramine is also used to control abnormal movements in people who have early stage parkinsonian syndrome (a disorder of the nervous system that causes difficulties with movement, muscle control, and balance) or who are experiencing movement problems as a side effect of a medication.

I suppose the "motion sickness" part relates to nausea (it's also neurological), but itchy, watery eyes and a runny nose are classic H1 symptoms.
Heather

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 19
Send Topic Print