Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Visit YaBB today Wink
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Mastocytosis: oral implications of a rare disease (Read 3981 times)
Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Mastocytosis: oral implications of a rare disease
01/05/11 at 17:12:58

J Oral Pathol Med. 2010 Dec 30. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0714.2010.00996.x. [Epub ahead of print]
Mastocytosis: oral implications of a rare disease.

Rama TA, Côrte-Real I, Gomes PS, Escribano L, Fernandes MH.

Laboratório de Farmacologia e Biocompatibilidade Celular, Faculdade de Medicina Dentária, Universidade do Porto, Portugal Instituto de Estudios de Mastocitosis de Castilla La Mancha, Hospital Virgen del Valle, Toledo, Spain.
Abstract

J Oral Pathol Med Mastocytosis encompasses a group of rare clinical entities, which are characterized by an abnormal growth and, usually, low accumulation of clonal and morphologically abnormal mast cells (MCs), within one or more organs. Clinical presentations are quite variable and symptoms are usually related to the release of mast cell mediators, tissue infiltration by MC (usually in the aggressive categories of the disease), or both. Mast cells are hematopoietic-derived cells that reach phenotypic maturity in the mucosa and peripheral connective tissues. These cells play an active role both on immunologic and non-immunologic processes. Within the oral cavity, MCs reside in the connective tissues, in physiologic conditions, and their number is elevated in pathologic situations resulting from immunoinflammatory processes, such as pulpal inflammation and periodontal disease. As MCs influence so many phenomena within the oral cavity, mastocytosis may manifest itself in the oral tissues. Patients with mastocytosis should be put under special care by dental professionals, in what concerns not only general patient management, but also drug prescription, as they are particularly prone to anaphylaxis and other peri and post-operative complications. Several allergens or mast cell activation triggers such as local anesthetics, zinc oxide, eugenol, penicilins, metals and oral hygiene products are frequently administered or prescribed by dentists. Patients with mastocytosis may also require stress management, during dental consultation. This review aims to briefly summarize the potential ways in which mast cell disease may affect the oral cavity and the dental management of mastocytosis affected patients.
© 2010 John Wiley & Sons A/S.

PMID: 21198873 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21198873

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

TRama
Ex Member

Re: Mastocytosis: oral implications of a rare disease
Reply #1 - 02/14/11 at 07:04:10

Thanks for publishing this!

I can send you a copy if you'd like.

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Re: Mastocytosis: oral implications of a rare disease
Reply #2 - 02/21/11 at 08:30:46

Youre quite welcome! I consider myself lucky to have met you. I have the copy you sent to me in email and I'll keep your email addy LOL... Take care.. go out there and cure us!! Take care of yourself too!
Hugs,
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print