Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
H3 blockers? (Read 10905 times)
Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
H3 blockers?
01/04/11 at 16:00:58

(Archived from patersonic - original forum)
patersonic

Does anyone take H3 blockers for their condition?
Manuella, from a previous post you responded to of mine re: cotton wool spots and eye/vision issues, we seem to both get cranial issues and eye problems, although the symptoms you get in your eyes sound far worse than mine.
I've been doing alot of research on H3 receptors in the brain as my mood is greatly affected by this disorder when flaring, it's truly awful. Also the nerve pain. Like you Manuella nearly everyday I am dealing with pain and what feels like inflammation at the occipital region. I also seem to get a lot of nerve 'goings-on' on my skull that sometimes will radiate to my face on occasion when bad.
Also the brain fog many people mention seem to stem from H3 receptors. As I also get cognitive impairment which really freaks me out, I really want to talk to people who also get this. From the research I've done H3 receptors seem to be involved in memory, cognition and nerve growth factor amongst other things, to the point that some scientists are looking at H3 antagonists in the brain for illness such as Altziemer's, MS, mood disorders, pain response and schizophrenia. It's fascinating stuff that could have profound impact, if they're on the right track, to these conditions and ours.
Does anyone else have information on this? And has anyone taken H3 blockers (are there any?!) ?

When I'm not flaring I seem to get cognitive disorentation and disorder on occasion. An eg: When driving on a road that I've driven on hundreds of times I will for a brief few seconds not know where I am.
When I came off the prednisolone and the condition can back with brutal vengance, I probably shouldn't have been driving, but because I'm on my own, well I was then, I had to drive and get food..... I found myself driving round and around a roundabout because I forgot where I was going and where I was.
When I've got a bad flare sometimes I cannot pronounce words that I know very well and also lose track of my thoughts finding hard to continue a conversation. This makes me very sad and I guess very worried about my future.
In regards to mood, sometimes my irritability just goes right off the scale, even filling up the kettle pisses me off. It's awful and all consuming. This often is accompanied by a fairly heavy depression that passes once the flare has gone. I think these are actual symptoms of my MCAD not secondary.

20 April 2009 10:19 PM

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Re: H3 blockers?
Reply #1 - 01/04/11 at 16:02:01

(Archived from triciag - original forum)
triciag

I learn something new today, thanks.  I knew nothing about H3 receptors, that might explain my mucsle twitching.  I wouldn't worry about forgetting where you are once in awhile.  I thought I was crazy most of my life because I would do the same things too.  But after talking to perfectly healthy family members and friends, it seems normal.  There were times I didn't understand how I  got to my home, I wouldn't remember the drive at all.  Or I'll be putting groceries away and then put the eggs in the cupboard.  I thinks it's because we think of too many things at once and sometimes we arent thinking about that one thing our bodies are doing that sec. Especially in our case where we might be stressing about our disease. It's normal, but maybe if it happens often everyday then there might be a problem.  I allow myself to have a ditzy moment now and then.  As far the speech goes, i have no idea because I havent been able to pronounce words right since I started talking.  I sound like a dork maybe that's why I'm so shy. I try to avoid conversations because I dont want to sound stupid. But now I'm going to start doing some research on H3 receptors, thanks again for the info

21 April 2009 12:30 PM

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #2 - 01/04/11 at 16:03:13

(Archived from jillian - original forum)
jillian

Hey there, some info I found on h3 receptors. It's very interesting to read about this. H3 receptors inhibit the release of other chemicals such as;
dopamine, GABA, acetylcholine, noradrenaline, and serotonin.
All these things, from what I have read can be linked to a lot of the symptoms we have. If you have time read the article then click on each of the chemicals that H3 receptors affect.
Fascinating! I learned something new today too! Now we just need an H3 blocker! Wink

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histamine_H3_receptor
21 April 2009 05:37 PM

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #3 - 01/04/11 at 16:04:26

patersonic

Thanks for trying to normalise my cognitive issues Triciag so that I don't worry about them, but this is a marked difference in myself since having naughty mast cells. Alot of people who have masto get fainting spells, perhaps mine are pre-fainting but I don't actually faint. I can't be sure, but it's certainly neurological. The problems with pronouncing words etc is absolutely neurological.
There are actually H4 and H5 receptors in the body. From what I've read the scientists are still researching where and what these ones do in the body.
I think H1 receptors are also in the brain, it's not exclusively H3's, but I think the synaptic responses, precursors and action on certain brain chemicals is different with the H3's that also seem to 'dialogue' with the H1 and H2 receptors.

I'm going to post some links I've found interesting. Some of the other stuff I've researched is from the state libaries in the medical sections, I don't have a scanner so I cannot post these. I do get concerned posting these links as I don't want people to get more worried about their condition, but I find it helps me to understand somewhat my strange symptoms and that these symptoms have only arisen for me since having MCAD (as yet "formally" undiagnosed) and that I don't have a tumor growing on my brain.... even though I've had scans to show me that I don't. If others are getting similiar symptoms it may bring some relief that you're not on your own with it. Some of the medical jargon in these links I"m yet to understand. There is a lot of reading below! I really find it so difficult to read animal experiments UGH!
Anyhow...
Oh yes and I've put on 10kgs since having this mcad thing, that I cannot budge which is accompanied by extreme cravings for sweet things most evenings, the cravings are nearly unbearable. There is talk in the articles below regarding H3 and the regulation of body fat and food intake. Pretty interesting stuff!

http://www.evotec.com/en/our_pipeline/discovery_h3_antagonists.aspx
http://www.ionchannels.org/showabstract.php?pmid=11164999
http://www.wipo.int/pctdb/en/wo.jsp?wo=2007076140&IA=US2006049321&DISPLAY=DE...
http://www.jci.org/articles/view/15784/version/1
http://www.bioportfolio.com/LeadDiscovery/PubMed-120407.html
http://molinterv.aspetjournals.org/cgi/content/full/6/2/77

21 April 2009 10:45 PM

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #4 - 01/04/11 at 16:05:36

(Archived from triciag - original forum)
triciag

I've been writing down a timeline of almost everything thats happen to me in the last 5years. Including being diagnose with HPV(low risk), my very first UP spot, when I moved, start and quit smoking,having an MRI and gaining weight and so on.  I thought I was the only one on this forum that gained the weight so I never mention it. Doing this timeline I notice that in a 1/2 years time i gained close to 30lbs.  During this time is when I had a MRI done for my hand. I thought my hand was broken but it ened up being a bad sprain. A couple of weeks after the MRI, I broke out in severe hives on back, and had a buring sensation all over body.  This is when the obvious masto  symptoms stared. Then shortly after I was diagnose with masto, I became pregnant.  So then I gained another 20some lbs.  Yes I'm a porker! Seriously I am borderline obese on the BMI charts.  Me too patersonic, I get my cravings in the evenings.  I crave chocolate or pastries.  I'll do what all the fit & healthy people tell me to do.  Snack on fruit/veggys, drink water and then see if you are hungry after 30min. Also been told to sniff vanilla extract, this gets rid of the sugar cravings.  I'll do all of that, but it never works.  I have this weird urge to want to bite down on things.  I chew on everything: pencils, corners of notebooks, twistyties, spoons, fingernails... until I get something sweet.
22 April 2009 10:40 AM

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #5 - 01/04/11 at 16:06:57

(Archived from manuella - original forum)
manuella

Hi Patersonic and everyone else too Wink

Regarding H3 antihistamines, yes, this is an area that i have looked into a little in the past too and i believe may be an interesting route to explore for those of us who have a lot of brain symptoms (vertigo, brain fog, pain/pressure, visual triggers, etc.)  I have a feeling that H3 may be more involved behind the blood/brain barrier, but hey, don't quote me on this!

One of my initiating symptoms many years ago was sudden spells of vertigo.  My sisters suffered the same issues, all starting in our 20s and my son who is in his mid 20's has experienced a couple of small bouts of vertigo too. Originally, we were given a medication called Antivert (Meclizine) which is no longer approved for sale in Canada.  I believe that it had antihistamine properties, possibly H3.

More recently, i have been prescribed Serc (Betahistine) which i use only on occasion following any severe vertigo/vomiting attack.  It definitely helps to stabilize the dizziness.  Check out this link for more info which indicates Serc has an effect on H3 receptors.

http://www.dizziness-and-balance.com/treatment/serc.html

Thanks for posting the other links Patersonic, will definitely check them out, but must admit it is so tiring and hard to make sense out of all of these studies when one is managing head pain, brain fog, limited medical terminology and nausea from reading! Have to keep going with educating ourselves as best we can though!

Regarding weight gain, i was always a tall slim build, but within the first few years of this illness manifesting itself fully, i suddenly gained at least 30 pounds, diffusely spread over the body.  Doctors keep telling me that it's my metabolism that's slowed down, but i suspect the meds (most suspicious of Nalcrom), masto, and possible underlying low thyroid function to be contributing as well.  Recently i've lost all the weight after completely removing dairy from my diet as well as recent rounds of throwing up/diarrhea, etc.  Now, i'm trying to build some muscle strength back, bit it's very difficult to do as exertion is my biggest trigger.  My new method to try to increase exertion is to push myself for much smaller time periods (such as five minute increments spread throughout the day instead of one longer exertion).  This seems to help me prevent the increase in nausea/muscle spasms/crushing fatigue that usually results from a longer exertion.

22 April 2009 05:02 PM

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #6 - 01/04/11 at 16:08:08

patersonic

Thanks for that link Manuella, very interesting and have added it to my collection of seemingly trillions of bookmarks!
I don't get vertigo anymore now that I am on 3 Zyrtec per day, although I still get dizziness accompanied with profound fatigue. The H1's seem to have gotten rid of the vertigo.
It's all the neurological symptoms that I get that really disconcert me the most. Just today I felt like a dagger was going through my right eyeball and then my right side of my face felt like it had dropped. I had to ask my mum whether my face looked different because it certainly bloody felt like it ... thankfully she sad no. phew. I don't also want droopy drawers facial slumps. This thing is bloody ridiculous.

Yes I too Triciag and Manuella have only heard that people with masto/mcad/ia etc seem to lose weight, but like both of you I've put it on all over my body. I've got cellulite everywhere now, my body has changed ALOT during this past year since all of this illness. I know it's a combination of lack of excercise due to the condition but I cannot help but feel that it is also part of the condition, just because of the way the fat has spread on my body. Luckily I can wear the extra 10kg's as I've always been long and lean.
I walk, swim, stretch and do gardening when I'm well, but sometimes I over do it as I get SO EXCITED when I feel well and am able to do things that I used to, this of course can trigger a flare.... so I too am moderating the amount of excercise I do to keep it under the radar of the mast cells response. Alot is trial and error, but I guess I'm learning.
Can you eat yoghurt Triciag? I have yoghurt and honey at night to try to quell the cravings. I have greek yoghurt (low fat) with lots of honey this seems to help me satiate the cravings, but also get healthy sweet stuff into me. As I found that the no matter how long I chew "corners of notebooks" nothing sweet gives!
Wink
27 April 2009 12:55 AM

IP Logged

Josie
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 01/31/11 at 10:10:46

Hi Ramona ,

I brief look on pub med has a good bunch of citations about H3 and H4 , receptors and emerging meds . Aimed at , brain receptors ( brain fog etc ) and pain associstions with histamine connected to neuropathic pain experience .

Ill read and come back to you xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I feel the brain fog and pain every day . Sad My coupe moment occured first when driving and I feel the same about what it takes away from me xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Back soon
Jose

IP Logged

Jaxx
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #8 - 02/04/11 at 13:55:23

I'm a cognitive neuroscientist, and the cognitive problems scare me most of all.  Fatigue, depression, and physical stress can impair cognitive function; but nothing stops the terror when i suddenly can't think through a problem i once could solve.  My iq is so high that nothing would show up on a neuro exam, but its there.  Sometimes I sit in my office, and i can't even remeber how to do basic computer navigation.  Anything you find out this front would be so welcome.

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #9 - 02/05/11 at 01:05:19

Boy Jax, do I relate to those feelings of yours!   I love a good blonde joke because I know it's no threat to me, but boy do I feel like a pure blonde with a mental dificiency when the anaphylaxis hits!

I used to get some warning signs when the anaphylaxis was coming down on me.  I'd start feeling weird or malaise or something and the brain fog would only occaisionally hit me.  But ever since my recent surgery, I've had it so that one moment I'd be just fine and the next I'd be sitting there on the couch saying to myself - Something is very wrong, but what is it?  What do I do?  WHAT IS WRONG?!    

I've been so mentally incapacitated that I couldn't make a decision as to what I had to do and I'd just sit there in this stupor wondering what was the matter!   Before just having to ask this question was enough to let me know that something was wrong and I needed my antihistamines, but now, it hits so very suddenly and so hard that I'm almost totally incapacitated!  Oh such an awful feeling!

I wish I knew what to do about it to never get to this point!  But this is one thing I do know, there are times that the system can be stable and happy, but depending upon the trigger it's virtually  impossible.  

I rather get the feeling that the barrel theory isn't quite right in that although we all have a barrel and that our barrel is full and close to overflowing, the problem isn't with the drain, but with the faucet!  The drain is normal and working, as it should be, those who don't have the drain working would be those who have a histamine metabolizing problem like the histaminosis people.  However, our problem has to do with the inflow and instead of having a normal sized faucet with the constant, regular inflow which the drain can handle properly, we have a faucet which is broken and our inflow fluctuates too much in that on some days the flow is more than the drain can handle, but not too much and so we stay close to overflowing if we take our meds properly.   But I'm getting the feeling that with some of us, the faucet ends up dumping so very much histamines and other mediators that it's like turning on a fireman's hose versus the bathtub faucet!  The force of the inflow is so intense and overwhelming that it makes a huge mess with water overflowing everywhere and we're left standing with a huge mess on our hands and no way to know what to do first, clean up the mess or to stop the fireman's hose and our brains as just totally overwhelmed by it all!!

Granted, it doesn't really work this way and I know the mediators interfere with the neurological pathways as well as within the brain itself and it all just so overwhelms the system that we're unable to function normally!  But this is at least a means of trying to understand it all.

I too, wish I know what to do !

Lisa

Don´t forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Josie
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 02/06/11 at 10:26:48

Hi Lisa ,

I agree with the amount being put in in one go . My shocks are hugs flooding of my barrel , more than my standing antihistamines . I oral medicate where I can , but I ahve long realised that if a biggie wants to be so it will xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Looking back I had brain fog from something in our sluice . i would walk out and look around me confussed for30 seconds . i ahve banged my leg with an epi pen with the safety catch on .

I am still reading . i found a connection between H4 receptors and hyerpyrexia - our overwhelming heat xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

back soon

Jose

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print