Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Welcome to our forum.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Starflower -- My Story (Read 15071 times)
Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Starflower -- My Story
01/04/11 at 09:44:57

Since we have this brand-spanking-new website (thanks Deb!), I thought I would take this opportunity to update my "story."

I didn't know I had a mast cell disorder until February 2009.  I felt "fine" for most of that day.  In the afternoon I had a cup of hot tea with a friend and I felt strangely dizzy... but it went away and I was able to pick up my daughter from school, no problem.  For dinner I had a big bowl of leftover soup.  About 20 minutes later I thought, "Why are my hands so itchy?"  I went into the bathroom to get some lotion and noticed that my face was covered with hives.  Then the real fun started... nausea, diarrhea, racing heartbeat, intense abdominal pain... I came very close to losing consciousness.  Since my husband had his cell phone turned off, I called 911 and told them, "I think I'm having an allergic reaction!"  They sent an ambulance and I threw up all over one of the EMTs... that will get you a ride to the ER in a hurry.  It was an obvious case of anaphylaxis.  I was 33 years old.

What kind of adult suddenly develops a life-threatening allergy?  My first allergist wrongly diagnosed me with allergies to celery, peanuts, and almonds, even though I hadn't eaten any of those foods that day.  Without even looking at my skin, her husband (also an allergist) told me I couldn't possibly have mastocytosis because I didn't have any of those "spots" (urticaria pigmentosa)... and anyway, it was so rare.

After two more trips to the ER, I fired that allergist.  The second one figured out that my only allergy is to myself... seriously!  My immune system is making antibodies to the high-affinity IgE receptors on my mast cells and basophils (FceRI).  My mast cells are normal, but these antibodies cause them to be very trigger-happy.

I started taking daily doses of H1/H2 antihistamines, and that kept me out of the ER... but I felt horrible.  I was having constant problems with nausea, diarrhea, headaches, joint pain, fatigue, dizziness... not good for a mother of two with a full-time job.  I was starting to wonder how much longer I could keep working without applying for disability.  Since I also had a few symptoms that nobody could explain... petechiae, swollen lymph nodes in the absence of infection or malignancy, etc... I decided to see a very high-level doctor, a hematologist researcher who specializes in rare disorders that overlap between the immune system and the hematopoietic system (bone marrow, blood, lymph nodes).  He's the one who finally connected all the dots and gave me the answers I was looking for!  He also added Singulair to my mix of medications (which by that time included Zyrtec, Claritin, Zantac, and Gastrocrom).  Last fall I increased the dose to 30mg/day, which required a fight with my insurance company... but it was absolutely worthwhile.

In addition to taking medications, I've also made some changes in my lifestyle.  I'm on a gluten-free, low-histamine diet (gluten gives me terrible abdominal pain and causes bleeding), I've become very aware of my triggers and take extra medication at the first sign of symptoms (I no longer wait to see what happens!), and I avoid the triggers I can avoid as much as possible.  Stress is one of the big ones.  I'm realistic about my schedule and say "no" to a lot of things... I get a massage once a month... I take naps... I've also grieved for my "normal" life and worked hard to find a new normal that I can be happy with.  Right now I'm feeling GOOD Grin  The mast cell disorder hasn't gone anywhere, but I've learned to live with it.  

At the moment, there's no diagnostic code for this orphan disease that I have.  My hematologist calls it "autoimmune mastocytosis."  I'm sure the mast cell researchers would call it MCAD.  It took me almost a year to get a diagnosis... I know what it's like to suffer without one.  The best thing you can do is educate yourself and learn to look for answers in the right places... there is hope!!! Smiley

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Angela
Ex Member

Re: Starflower -- My Story
Reply #1 - 01/14/11 at 06:32:19

That was really helpful Heather. Being new, and so sick, I really didn't get a chance to read anyone's story. My story is beginning to unfold a little like yours so it was good to see it written down. Thanks for taking the time to write it! It made it a little more bearable for me. Smiley

Angela

IP Logged

Buster
Tutor

I Love This Forum!
San Francisco Bay Area
Reply #2 - 02/02/11 at 12:25:14

Heather,

I have some questions about your "autoimmune mastocytosis" diagnosis:

In your opinion, at what stage of a diagnostic workup should someone be tested for this mast cell disease variant?

What are the tests that should be done and which labs do them?

Is there any difference in the treatment protocols for "autoimmune mastocytosis" versus other forms of mastocytosis/MCAD?

Buster

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #3 - 02/02/11 at 13:00:59

Hi Buster,

Good questions!

On the old website I created a list of tests that are used to diagnose a mast cell disorder:

http://mastcelldisorders.lefora.com/2010/11/18/diagnosing-a-mast-cell-disorder/#...

The first thing you want to test is your baseline tryptase, which often helps tells the difference between SM and MCAD.  Sometimes, along the way people are worked up for lupus... this is good, because any systemic autoimmune disorder can cause mast cell activation (so can malignancies like lymphoma and carcinoid syndrome).  Here are some good reasons to suspect that you either have an autoimmune mast cell disorder or an unrelated autoimmune disorder making your mast cell disorder more complicated to deal with:

- You've been diagnosed with an autoimmune disorder (Hashimoto's disease is common in patients with chronic urticaria... researchers are not exactly sure why)

- Autoimmune disorders run in your family... type I diabetes, lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, Chron's, etc... (AARDA has an excellent list if you're not sure about this: http://aarda.org/).  Fibromyalgia is not proven to be an autoimmune disorder, but occurs in a lot of people with a personal or family history of autoimmune disorders

- Your symptoms were triggered by physical and/or emotional stress such as a car accident, divorce, PTSD, etc... or by a sudden change in hormone levels (puberty, childbirth, hysterectomy, etc...)

- You're a woman... and if you are, your symptoms flare up around ovulation and/or menstruation

- In addition to the normal mast cell activation symptoms (headaches, hives, tachycardia, shortness of breath, nausea, diarrhea, flushing, etc...) you've had problems with joint pain, petechiae, easy bruising, mild damage to your kidneys, lymph node enlargement, etc...  The kinds of symptoms you would expect in someone with a systemic autoimmune disorder or a severe infection.

If you're in the US, there are three tests I would recommend to check for an autoimmune mast cell disorder: ANA, auto-antibodies to high-affinity IgE receptors, and anti-IgE antibodies.  ANA is a very general test... not specific to mast cell disorders... but it's a good indication if you have "autoimmune issues" going on.  However, over the last two years my ANA has ranged between 1:40 (negative) and 1:320 (strong positive)... the numbers haven't matched my symptoms!  So... don't allow yourself to be brushed off just because your ANA is negative or the doctor calls it a "false positive."  As far as I know, National Jewish Hospital in Denver is the only place doing the antibody tests.  You can have your blood mailed to them.  They are not part of the standard "reflex" testing that happens when your ANA is positive.

The most important reason to know if you have an autoimmune mast cell disorder as compared to SM, for example, is because it opens up other treatment options... plaquenil (a malaria drug used to treat many different autoimmune disorders) plus monoclonal antibodies like Xolair and Rituxan.  Monoclonals are NOT cheap.  To get that kind of therapy you need a doctor who really knows what s/he is doing, preferably a researcher.  It's also a last resort because it carries a lot more risks than antihistamines, leukotriene blockers, and mast cell stabilizers.  I've been able to get my disorder under control (through medication and lifestyle changes) without going to extreme measures... a huge improvement for someone who was landing in the ER once a month!

Heather

(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

missmarple
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 02/02/11 at 14:57:29

Heather - I replied to you on the other thread but is National Jewish the place for me to send blood to get the auto immune test you mentioned?

You have helped me SO much with this reply.

I have recently been found to be totally deficient in Complement 2. This implies an auto immune disorder most likely lupus. I am about to try Plaquenil which you mention. i am terribly nervous about htis - though it is a benign (ish) drug - I react very badly to all new drugs - they give me angioedema. So I have everything crossed.

Do you know anything else about lupus and MCAD??

Also a lightbulb went on - my symptoms all began after a hysterectomy.

Ooooh - Xolair - been looking at that - but would I not have to have a high 'allergy' level to be helped (all my allergy test are negative).

Sorry to bombard you - but you are so knowledgeable and it all fits with my profile - thank you so much.

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #5 - 02/02/11 at 15:28:35

Glad I could help!

A complement deficiency means one of two things... either it's a genetic deficiency (which puts you at higher risk for developing an autoimmune disorder), or you have something that's depleting your complement at a rapid pace (either a severe infection or an autoimmune disorder).  More testing is definitely in order!  Have you had an ANA with reflex?  That's where they check for specific antibodies that are often present in people with lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, Sjogren's Syndrome, etc...  The antibody I have has only been studied in people with chronic urticaria, but they're finding that it also shows up sometimes in people with lupus, psoriasis, scleroderma, and asthma.  As usual, there's a lot of research left to be done.

I wouldn't worry too much about plaquenil.  The main risk is to your eyes (a complication that can be avoided with regular eye exams).  It's not like taking an antibiotic or a pain killer.  Dr. Castells and my hematologist have both recommended plaquenil as the next step for me.  Even if your mast cell disorder is caused by something else, plaquenil should help by flushing antibody-antigen complexes out of your body.  Long story, but this is why you might get symptoms like petechiae, joint pain, an all-over "flu-like" feeling, swollen lymph nodes, etc...  Autoimmune disorders make mast cell disorders worse and vice versa.  

Xolair works for more than just classic (IgE) allergies... it's approved in the US for asthma and they're even finding that it works with people who have physical urticarias (hives caused by pressure, vibration, cold, sunlight, water, etc...).  I don't know about availability in the UK though!  If you find out, definitely post the information somewhere.

Heather

(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

missmarple
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 02/02/11 at 15:39:19

Hi Heather

Wow - you are good at this, I know you are not a doctor but do you have a medical background?

I will definitely look into Xolair in the UK.

I have had an ANA but not with reflex. It was negative but I understand that is far from conclusive.

I am concerned about Plaquenil as my body reacts so badly to ANY new drug. I tried Gastrocrom recently and swelled. No one has heard of this happening! I have the same trouble with food - it is as of my body rejects anything new.

I have terrible joint pain and flu like symptoms - I have had them for 10 years and was told I had fibromyalgia. My mum had multiple sclerosis. So interesting all these links.

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #7 - 02/02/11 at 16:03:05

Ah... with the "flu-like" symptoms I think you're definitely smart to be checking further into lupus.  When is the last time you had an ANA test?  Sometimes it just takes a while for the labs to catch up to your symptoms... it's worth repeating until you get a diagnosis, especially if autoimmune disorders run in your family.

I actually am a "doctor" (a PhD), just not a medical doctor Wink  I study African and Islamic dress.  All of this information about autoimmune disorders and mast cell disorders I've learned from reading on my own, talking to doctors, and chatting online with other patients!  I really had to EDUCATE myself to get a diagnosis.  Without it, I guarantee that I would still be twisting in the wind... my first allergist thought I was allergic to peanuts, almonds, and celery.  HA.  She was totally wrong.

If your ANA is negative, there's no point in doing reflex testing... it's not going to show anything.  But... like I say, do keep checking.  Last January my ANA was 1:320.  Two months later it was 1:40!  You just have to catch it when it's up... and you can't always tell just from your symptoms when it's up.

Heather

(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Buster
Tutor

I Love This Forum!
San Francisco Bay Area
Reply #8 - 02/04/11 at 08:51:47

Heather,

Thanks for taking the time to send that informative and interesting post on "autoimmune mastocytosis."

Buster

IP Logged

Britt
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #9 - 09/24/12 at 13:06:32

Hi heather! Just reading your story since I have the same autoimmune antibody as you. I went to a new immunologist today. I was hoping for someone to shed some new light, and possibly new treatment, on my situation. No luck. He said that yes, I have autoimmune urticaria, but that's it. And if I'm not having hives or angioedema, I'm in remission. I told him about my severe reactions to fragrances, and he pretty much dismissed me and said, "ya, those fragrances can be nasty to some people!" I couldn't believe it. Here I'm pouring my guts out to this guy and that's all he has to say. He said that because my tryptase was normal, there was no need in looking into mast cell disease. He actually went as far as to compare it to a murder in Florida, and suspecting someone in Reno had  done it even with 20 allabys confirming he was in Reno and not Florida. That it was so far fetched, it's not even worth looking in to. I feel defeated. I know it's a mast cell situation, but I can't find a doctor to get on board. So for now, I am throwing in the towel. I will obviously continue to take my h1 and h2's, but otherwise I will let it be for now.  Cry. He said that I did have several markets for inflammation (I brought in all the labs I could find) but said I would have to take that up with "somebody else". I know pj123 (Pam) and Crystal are also autoimmune and I believe both are going to Boston. Maybe I will be able to gain some insight from them Smiley.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print