Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  We've upgraded to YaBB 2!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Idiopathic Anaphylaxis Protocol from Dr. Akin (Read 5797 times)
Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Idiopathic Anaphylaxis Protocol from Dr. Akin
01/02/11 at 14:05:44

Archived from Original Forum -  DeborahW author

Here is the basic letter that Dr. Akin wrote for me on his letterhead several years ago so that I would always have an emergency protocol to carry with me and, thus, avoid arguing with emergency doctors/nurses regarding what COULD be wrong with me. Note, that he is very careful to point out that this protocol should only be followed if it appears to manifest as mast cell activation. (In other words, he leaves the door wide open that a patient could be suffering from something other than a mast cell attack, like a heart attack or something. We can't always assume everything is mast cell....) Obviously, this is a protocol for MY personal situation. It gives you an idea, though, of what your doctor should think about in writing a protocol for you.

"......is currently followed in our clinic for a diagnosis of idiopathic anaphylaxis. Patients with this disorder have recurrent episodes of anaphylactic shock or lesser symptoms and signs including flushing, abdominal cramping, diarrhea, hypotension and tachycardia. We would recommend obtaining a serum tryptase level within 2-3 hours of symptoms to document that mast cell mediator release is responsible for her symptoms. Anaphylactic episodes are generally treated with intravenous H1 and H2 blockers, and IM epinephrine if there is hemodynamic instability or respiratory distress. In addition, IV fluids and other support and resuscitation measures should be undertaken if necessary in accordance with the ACLS guidelines. Please do not hesitate to contact my office if you have any further questions."

Don´t forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Re: Idiopathic Anaphylaxis Protocol from Dr. Akin
Reply #1 - 01/02/11 at 14:07:39

Archived from Original Forum  -  riverwn2 author

Thanks for posting this, Im gonna steal it LOL.. its much better worded than the one I tried to write Smiley

Don´t forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Josie
Ex Member

Re: Idiopathic Anaphylaxis Protocol from Dr. Akin
Reply #2 - 01/26/11 at 09:09:05

Hiya Everyone ,

I am also going to steal this to give my local doc some guidance Smiley . i see Dr Grattans mate on the 1st of march . I am not autoimmune so now a toss up between HAE type 3 and MCAS xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Liking the new forum ,

Jose  Cheesy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print