Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Disability (Read 25775 times)
DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Disability
12/29/10 at 03:24:29

(Archived from fduran2848 - original forum)
I know this comes up quite often and thought we may need a thread that people can refer back to.

I was looking over the online disability application.

One thing that struck me was that you will receive a check 6 MONTHS after you are deemed disabled.

So if they say you became disabled in Jan '10 you would not qualify for a check until June '10.        

Has this been anyone's experience that has received disability? I, for one, can not go 6 months without any income.

Faith

06 July 2010 02:49 PM

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Re: Disability
Reply #1 - 12/29/10 at 03:29:17

(Archived from riverwn2 - original forum)
Im just starting to go through the process now--and Kate has been a godsend to me with this. Shes very experienced with the process and the paperwork, so hopefully she will jump in here to give her opinion.

I will say what she told me and it proved quite true.
The first step is to go to the SSI government website and apply to get an "earnings statement". That tells how much you would qualify for, depending on how many years you worked within the last 10 years. Check this carefully and make SURE it matches your records. The amount of money you will get depends on this and frequently what your employer reported will not match your own records. In my case I didnt think this would be a problem--boy was I wrong!! They didnt report 4 years of my earnings and it made a HUGE difference.. 10 points for Kate, she knew before I did.

OK now Im sending my own copies to SSI govt, and asking them to recalculate my earnings and qualifications. Once they do that, I will apply for SSI and SSD for the first time and wait to be denied--so I can hire an attorney.

I was concerned that I couldnt be working and apply for SSI, ...VERY untrue. As long as you can show a BIG impact on your life and earning ability, you can apply now--and you should since it will take about 2 years to get through this process.. again, my thanks to Kate, SHE knew this, I didnt and it sure eased my mind... Kate should take this thread over now.. Smiley

06 July 2010 05:03 PM

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #2 - 01/01/11 at 15:10:14

(Archived from jysmith - original forum)
Hi Faith,

If disability is approved, the first SSD check will include pay retroactive to the date of application.  Getting from here to there can be difficult if you don't have another source of income.  It's best to try to get your health issues really, really well-documented.  Still, many people have to appeal.  I believe the attorney's fees are still limited to a percentage of back pay, with a cap.  I also think you can have an attorney help you fill out your initial forms, but you might have to pay for that upfront.

Joan

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #3 - 01/01/11 at 15:11:52

Wow....sounds like I need to start putting some money back to survive on during that time.

07 July 2010 07:58 AM

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #4 - 01/01/11 at 15:13:12

(Archived from riverwn2)
Faith, Im trying to find some kind of work to do from home, you might look into that now before you are pushed into it by circumstances later (like me). Good luck hon, I'll let you know how my search goes and we can share ideas Smiley
Ramona

07 July 2010 10:17 AM

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #5 - 01/01/11 at 15:14:21

(Archived from original forum)
You know what I hate? I can never qualify for disability even though I can never hold a real job. The reason is that I never had a real job before I got sick. I didn't work in high school, college, or grad school, although I did tutor kids a lot. Since I got really sick in grad school and thus didn't finish my doctorate, I never got the chance to work! I am pretty sure that you can only get disabiltu after working and them finding yourself unable to work anymore. To complicate matters even more, since I was creative and started a business, that makes it look as if I can work. This is ironic, because I can't work at my business much because it makes me feel sick. However, I must keep the business going because the money it does bring in supports my parents. Now, how is that for a dilemma? Too sick to work (or in other words not working keeps me well), but able to keep a business that I can't close down.

It does pose a big problem for people who get sick right at the age they might have started working. No disability for them because they got sick at the wrong time? Ridiculous.
Deborah 07 July 2010 10:30 AM

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #6 - 01/01/11 at 15:15:16

(Archived from original forum)

I think you wouldnt qualify for SSD but you would qualify for SSI--you dont need to have worked for that. Your problem would be proving it made an impact on your income since you were smart enough to set up your business and its doing well... Sad sorry hon, it IS unfair.

07 July 2010 10:38 AM

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #7 - 01/01/11 at 15:16:52

I agree about the SSI.....I know of a man who did not qualify workwise for disability but does get SSI. Is it the same amount? I have no idea.

I THINK SSD is based on the amount of work credits you have and that is based on the amount you earned over a certain period of time.

07 July 2010 11:06 AM

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #8 - 01/01/11 at 15:18:21

(Archived from riverwn2)
Faith that is exactly right, from what i read on the webpage, plus my husband has SSI but cant get SSD.

07 July 2010 01:39 PM

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #9 - 01/01/11 at 15:19:26

(Archived from kateswmo - original forum)
If disability is approved, the first SSD check will include pay retroactive to the date of application.
Joan

-jysmith

Just a note to add some information... IF an individual's earnings are not sufficient enough to grant them full SSD and SSI is granted as well, the SSA will payout back pay on benefits over a 6 month period so as not to interfere with the income guidelines for SSI.  Also... the retroactive will NOT always go back to the date of application. Sometimes, if the Appeal Judge finds that you became totally disabled on a date AFTER you submitted your application then your back pay will ONLY be retroactive to the "Date of Disability".
Kate

07 July 2010 05:27 PM

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #10 - 01/01/11 at 15:21:28

(archived from kateswmo - original forum)

I was found to be completely and totally disabled and was awarded SSD benefits. However, most times, when you apply for benefits, the same application will be used as application for both SSD and SSI.  SS Admin pays disability benefits under these two individual and separate programs: The difference between SSI and SSD is this...

Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is a Federal income supplement program funded by general tax revenues (not Social Security taxes): It is designed to help aged, blind, and disabled people, who have little or no income; and It provides cash to meet basic needs for food, clothing, and shelter. SSI benefits also are payable to people 65 and older without disabilities who meet the financial limits.

The Social Security Disability insurance program pays benefits to you and certain family members if you worked long enough and paid Social Security taxes. Your adult child also may qualify for benefits on their parents' earnings record if he or she has a disability that started before age 22.  For most people, the medical requirements for disability are the same under both programs and disability is determined by the same process. Whether you apply for Social Security or SSI disability, they ask you for information about your medical condition, work and education history to help them decide if you are disabled under their rules.

"Disability" under Social Security is based on your inability to work. You are considered disabled under Social Security rules if: You cannot do work that you did before; We decide that you cannot adjust to other work because of your medical condition(s); and Your disability has lasted or is expected to last for at least one year or to result in death.

One thing I would greatly suggest to any of you who are thinking of applying for benefits. Call Social Security Admin and get a copy of your earnings record. Verify that they have ALL of your earnings from EACH EMPLOYER on file and they are correct. You can verify this with copies of your W2 forms. The reason I say this is one of my former employers was somewhat less than scrupulous. He gave the employees our W2's but never turned them in to the State or the IRS or SS Administration. Which means that SSA never had record of those earnings at all and therefore could not use them to determine my total benefit. Unfortunately I filed my taxes online and failed to keep a copy of my W2's.  This was for about 4 years of work so it was a pretty significant chunk of earnings that I did not get credit for on Social Security's end. If I had saved copies of my W2's and could produce them for SSA it would have made about a $300.00 a month difference in my benefit. So Please, Please check your recorded earnings with them so the same thing doesn't happen to you. Also, the SSA told me that situations like that are more common than one would think!

If anyone needs help with the application process, or other assistance, please feel free to email me.

TCGB

Kate

07 July 2010 05:38 PM

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #11 - 01/01/11 at 15:22:28

(Archived from starflower - original forum)

Once a year (around my birthday) I get a statement from Social Security outlining my income for the last few years... the amounts have always been correct.  Is this the kind of thing you're talking about?  How far back do they look to calculate what your SSI/SSD benefit would be?

Thanks for sharing this information Kate!  I hope I never have to use it, but better to be prepared Smiley

Heather    

That each and every lesson... they were hard won.
07 July 2010 08:28 PM

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #12 - 01/01/11 at 15:23:23

(Archived from riverwn2 - original forum)
Yes thats it Heather.. they look back the last 10 years.

07 July 2010 11:40 PM

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #13 - 01/01/11 at 15:25:16

(Archived from legacy - original forum)

Yes thats it Heather.. they look back the last 10 years.

07 July 2010 11:40 PM

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

nikweth
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #14 - 01/27/11 at 00:03:22

Hello, I have a question about how to get some recovery time off work. I have been ill for 14 years now.  My IA kicked in 6 weeks into my second pregnancy and I have been on the same roller coaster you all have been on ever since.  I had a bone marrow test done at U of M a few years ago when Dr. Akin was still there and my test results were negative.  However, I went to Mayo last week and they dx me with MCAD.  Apparently, it is a subcategory of Masto.  I go into "shocker" mode a few times a year but I have been ill for the past 57 days and cannot seem to recover. I moved to a new work area and am convinced this is it. I have been talking to HR about a new location. I start reacting every afternoon.  I had to call 911 one afternoon and also had an IA episode as soon as a left work on another day.  I worked in this same location last year for one month and ended up shocking three times during that timeframe. The first was at work (called 911), one time was after leaving work and one time was after I made it home.  I am waiting for some of my scripts to come in (Gastrocom) and increased dosages of Allegra. I will begin taking these tomorrow.  In the meantime, I'm calling in again today because I cannot breath well, am extremely tired and have rash/hives all over. I'm set for a IA shock and just cannot bring myself to go in today. I'm soooo tired.  I feel like a need a few weeks off to get my body straightened back out but am nervous about asking my doctor however I don't think he would blink an eye at it.  I also have 3 weeks of sick leave and 2 weeks of vacation leave built up and fmla paperwork. I am not usually one to take work off but I did take a week off last month due to an IA episode. I'm feeling nervous about asking and guilty about not being at work. Any suggestions how how to approach my dr with this?  I'm going to try and get an appt today. Thanks all and God bless!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print